Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:49:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advertising...................

Started by RandyOnR3, December 12, 2011, 09:21:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyOnR3

December 12, 2011, 09:21:13 am Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:21:55 am by RandyOnR3
   Our shop, run by my wife and myself is more that just a canvas or upholstery shop.. The wife is a dress maker and an expert at clothing and interior decor..

Having one of our best years we've decided to expand.. took over the shop next door and moved in a full size quilting machine, and a "top of the line" embroider machine..

The local work is comming in but would like to hit people outside of the area for the "The Quilt Room"..
  Working on another site for the quilting but wondering HOW to do cost effective advertising..
   How do we get the word out?

kodydog

December 12, 2011, 05:08:39 pm #1 Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:44:27 pm by kodydog
Hi Randy. Are you talking about people sending work to you in the mail? We have a friend into quilting big time. She has a patent on templates and has a lady selling them nation wide. They advertise in quilting magazines but mostly they do seminars at hobby and quilting stores. Huge draw. She makes a lot of money and stays very busy.

This just came to mind. A state park near here sponsors a yearly quilt show. My friend rents a booth. You could do this at quilt or craft shows and exhibit samples of your work.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

You need to get hooked up with local guilds and whatnot.  In NH there is The League of NH Craftsmen and other states have similar organizations.  They usually have shows and sometimes sponsor workshops with craftsmen.  I know that the actual quilting of tops is what stops many in their tracks and knowing there is a resource to provide a service offering various quilting patterns professionally done would eliminate a stumbling block for many eager quilters. 

I would also get your name and service to local fabric stores... they are always looking for resources such as you plan to offer. 

As for an embroidery machine... would yours be able to handle the heavy webbing of horse halters?  I ask because last week a woman was in the shop and was asking about having the horse's name monogrammed on the nosepiece of nylon halter.  A niche, to be sure, but horse people have deep pockets and are more than willing to pay for custom monogramming/etc..