Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 08:00:43 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Small air compressor review

Started by byhammerandhand, November 20, 2015, 07:32:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

For those that only need a small compressor in the shop, or like me, do onsite work,

http://www.familyhandyman.com/tools/air-tools/how-to-choose-an-air-compressor/view-all?trkid=FBPAGE_TFH_20151120_Tools

My current one is a Maxxus with aluminum tanks.   Very light and no rusty water.   It's similar to the Husky one in the photo (I think Campbell Hausfeld private labels the Husky ones, at least they did when I visited their plant a few years ago."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

Hey, I got the Porter Cable in the picture last year. I used it for a upholstery job on a built in kitchen bench seat. No problems. The noise it makes when it fills is not too bad. The home owners did not complain.

I thought it would be great to have this as a backup at my studio. Well, it's at my son's house making sure he never has to buy one of his own.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Every small compressor that I've ever used has disappointed me in one way or another.

Some are too loud (about 99% of them). Some too heavy. Some can't keep up with high CFM tools.

I've decided that me and small compressors just weren't meant to be.

If an on-site job is too big for a hand stapler, then I really don't want to do it on-site anyway.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Here is the little compressor I use on site;

It is a little loud, but nothing like the one in the shop. I've never needed more CFM for the stuff I do in house. If I am breaking out the air hogs it's big and messy enough project that i want it back at the shop.

When I apprenticed we had a vile little compressor with no tank about the size of a 1/2 horse electric motor. As loud as a Pratt Whitney aircraft engine and leaked and got hot enough to mark linoleum. We'd put it in the customer's driveway and use it to fill our 11 gallon portable air tank (like you see in the automotive section) and run our air tools off it. Not perfect but it worked and we didn't have to unplug the stereo to find a plug in.

When I opened my shop I had my buddy at the dive shop modify an old scuba regulator so I could run off one of my scuba tanks. That was sweet.    At  2250 PSI even my little 50 lb SCBA tank (fire fighter's tank) would last for ever. I admit I was spoiled---buddy's dive shop was on my way out to my shop and if he wasn't there I'd just lean a tank to the left of the side door and if it was on the right side of the door on my way home I'd slip a sawbuck under the door and take my full tank home. It's always good to have friends LOL. If we didn't have the little compressor at work I'd arrange to get to the dive shop 40 minutes from here during their part time hours and get one of my tanks re-certified.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

chrisberry12

Makita makes a great hotdog compresser and the one I use now is a GMC Cyclone, it is fantastic, cheap and quiet. It is not made by the auto company. You can search it, great little piece of equipment