Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:52:53 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

This, That & What Have Ya

Started by Mojo, July 03, 2013, 08:54:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I was asked about my thoughts on the new double needle machine and am just now getting around to posting my thoughts and some pictures. Sorry I am tardy on the pic's as I am having a hell of a battle with the chemo flu at the moment.

In regards to the machine, I am very happy with it. It is a Highlead GC20618-2. I bought this from Bob Kovar and as with the last machine I bought from him it was delivered and I was up and sewing without one single adjustment needed. Bobby, his son, set it up before shipping and timed it and even adjusted the tension for Solarfix thread and acrylic fabrics.

I guess the one thing that surprised me was the weight of the head. Shipping weight was 110 #. I thought the Chandler and Juki 563 were heavy but this thing weighs a ton and I about got a hernia getting it set up.

Threading it was a bit intimidating as I am not used to how they run the thread through all the tensions discs, etc. The machine is very tight and will be till it is broken in. My Chandler was the same way for about a year or so. I am slowly but surely getting used to the double hook setup and if I thought two pieces of thread was fun to try and grab, 4 pieces is a chore. :)

I am using a 400 watt servo but the machine calls for an 800 watt. Bob felt that the 400 w servo I had would be enough since I was not sewing leather or extra heavy fabric. It goes right through the acrylic without a problem. The machine sews perfect.

I have the 1/2" set up so it sews a double stitch line 1/2 in apart. The one thing I am amazed at is how professional the toppers and awnings look afterwards as the parallel stitch lines  are perfectly spaced. This has really been a plus for my OCD. :) I am very pleased in how much time it is saving me doing two stitch runs at once versus doing them separately before. I have had to adjust a couple steps in my routine and am trying to get used to that. It is amazing how we get so used to doing something and when we make a small change how foreign it is until your used to the new way.

I have posted pictures of the machine along with the new LED light I bought off E-Bay for $ 14. It really throws off alot of light and has been a help to my old eyes. I am still trying to figure out just where to mount it and have changed places several times already. Sooner or later I will find that perfect place.

Overall I am pleased with the quality of the Highlead and believe it will be a good machine. It is very stout and I am loving the auto lube setup. The Chandler is now set up for center seam and binding sewing and the Juki has been relegated to backup duty and the wife's preferred machine.

Here are the pictures. You can page through them to see the machine as well as the LED light.

http://s181.photobucket.com/user/throgmartin/media/Upholstery%20Projects/DblStitchLine_zpsf1f3c50d.jpg.html

Sorry I was late on getting this all posted. Any questions let me know.

Chris

sofadoc

July 03, 2013, 11:08:10 am #1 Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:53:33 am by sofadoc
I have an LED light just like that one, on one of my machines. I don't like the way that it shifts due to vibration. I keep having to re-adjust it. I haven't found the perfect place yet either.

Great looking machine. Nice pic of the tension disc area.

Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2013, 08:54:21 am
I am slowly but surely getting used to the double hook setup and if I thought two pieces of thread was fun to try and grab, 4 pieces is a chore. :)

So are you saying that it is cantankerous about thread jumpage if you don't "hold on for dear life" at start-up, like the old 563?

Feel better. That's an order.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Dennis:

Not sure if the thread needs to be pulled or not on start up but with two hooks I am not taking a chance. :)

I am getting used to the top load. I never sewed much on the Juki so never got the chance to really get used to it. The Juki was set up to do a couple functions and rarely got used. I love my Chandler and it has been a rock solid machine but this double needle Highlead is a real time saver.

If I did alot of other work I do not know if I would have bought it. But it is my main workhorse now and the vast majority of my work is done on it. I will be glad when it loosens up a bit as it is real tight right now on the knee lift and rotating the wheel by hand. My Chandler was the same way when it was brand new. I am pretty impressed with the quality. It seems to be built very well.

I am trying to feel better. Takes alot of pain killers but I find comfort. I hate these treatments but am grateful they work. My bone marrow should be back into remission in a couple months and I will be good to go again, ready to kick butt, take names and poor piss from my boots. :)

Chris

Mojo

BTW, that little tool tray attached to the table that is included in the pictures was a $ 5 find at Big Lots. Works great.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on July 06, 2013, 03:45:25 am
BTW, that little tool tray attached to the table that is included in the pictures was a $ 5 find at Big Lots. Works great.
I'm afraid that tool tray would drive me absolutely bonkers where you have it located. Too confining. Here's my misc. tool area around my machine:

As you can see, while everyone else was poppin' firecrackers, I threw myself a bobbin winding party. ;D

BTW my smileys :) work on my shop laptop, but not on my home laptop, wife's home laptop, or I-phone. Anyone know how to fix that?

Mojo

They don't work on my laptop either.

You have quite a collection of thread. Did you pickup a bobbin winding machine ?

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on July 06, 2013, 03:17:30 pm
You have quite a collection of thread. Did you pickup a bobbin winding machine ?
The thread you see in the pic is only the tip of the iceberg. Once or twice a year, someone comes in offering to sell me all their upholstery stuff. There's usually several partial spools of thread included. I haven't ordered any 69 nylon thread from a supplier in a long time.

Don't have a winder. Just do them on the machine.