Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 08:21:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"But......but....the other guy is cheaper!"

Started by sofadoc, September 18, 2014, 06:46:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

College?

Quote from: kodydog on September 19, 2014, 02:55:13 pm
Stripped. Yeah that looks better. My spell check (wife) missed that one. 4 years of collage for what? When it comes to spelling or grammar I need all the help I can get.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 19, 2014, 04:00:26 pm
College?

Quote from: kodydog on September 19, 2014, 02:55:13 pm
Stripped. Yeah that looks better. My spell check (wife) missed that one. 4 years of collage for what? When it comes to spelling or grammar I need all the help I can get.

Maybe if you hadn't spent all your money on collage you wouldn't be in this mess with a bunch of striped furniture frames.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

With the right marketing those striped furniture frames are going to fly off the shelf. Then you'll be sorry.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

September 19, 2014, 06:27:49 pm #18 Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:26:20 pm by sofadoc
Imagine my surprise when I got my first job at Chippendale's. I thought I was going to be a male striper.

kodydog

If I was writing the job description it would have been "mail striper."

baileyuph

Having been in business a while now hearing -- "the other guys cheaper" is something almost from the past.  There simply aren't as many doing any of what we on this board do.  Fewer shops and people learning/practicing the trade.

What is note, however, is "I can buy new for a lot less".  I do agree with that statement.

We, small shops, for most of the "complete redo work" cannot compete with most off shore products.  Factory workers in one Asian enterprise pays $3 a day.  Now, that is a much bigger issue than local competition.

Cost of living here is not equal to cost of living there..........

Things are a changing as we speak.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on September 20, 2014, 06:26:30 am
Having been in business a while now hearing -- "the other guys cheaper" is something almost from the past.  There simply aren't as many doing any of what we on this board do.  Fewer shops and people learning/practicing the trade.
I agree. It isn't something you hear much anymore. The only time I hear it around here, is when referring to the local guy who only QUOTES low prices (but has NO intention of actually doing any work for those prices).

But for customers who are shopping around for price comparisons, the pickin's are slim, and getting slimmer every year. Now, they ONLY compare against the cost of buying new. And that's a war that small shops are usually going to lose.

gene

This is how my world spins:

If someone has an antique or a piece of furniture that has high sentimental value, they are usually looking for quality and service to get it reupholstered rather than only shopping for price.

With other furniture, I try to start with the people who have high end furniture to begin with. Then their question is to have it reupholstered or to buy new high end furniture. This provides for more reupholstery opportunities.

A rule of thumb was mentioned on this forum not too long ago: If they paid $1000 or more 10 or 20 years ago for their sofa, it's probably worth reupholstering today. Not a bad rule of thumb.

Anyone who bought a sofa for $600 5 years ago is not going to be interested in paying for reupholstering today. They are going to be looking at another $600 sofa.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Just finished this book about John Bassett III. Suggested reading by Mr Hammer. Anybody who is trying to figure just exactly what happened to our furniture industry should read this book. The author took three years to do her research. I thought it was very well written and factual. She interviewed hundreds of people and mentions many manufactures and furniture brands we all have worked on.

John Bassett split off from the furniture giant Bassett Furniture to take over the failing Vaughn Bassett Furniture. At the time of his departure Bassett Furniture had over 30 factories in the United States. Now they have none. John Bassett III decided to buck the system and keep his factories in the US. Its interesting How he managed and streamlined his business to be able to compete with China.

I found this while researching this review. Sure hope they portray him as a man who is dedicated to his business and employees and not one of a greedy CEO.

According to Deadline, HBO is developing the book as a miniseries. "Factory Man" is about a Virginia businessman, John Bassett III, who fought to keep the residents of Bassett, Va. (named after the business) employed rather than outsourcing work to foreign countries.

The possible miniseries is being produced by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman's company Playtone, which was also behind the HBO miniseries "John Adams" and "The Pacific," among others.