Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 08:59:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Slow down pulleys

Started by morrisman, July 21, 2010, 06:09:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

morrisman

July 21, 2010, 06:09:41 pm Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:13:11 pm by morrisman
Hi

Its MIKE in Australia

Well, I made up some pulleys for my Consew 226-r2 ... it now runs at about 3 stitches per second , rather than ... very fast .

I bought an old lathe recently and I  turned up some small M section V belt pulleys . The M section seems to be the standard V belt size for these machines . The difference is amazing . I made a small 35mm diam . pulley for the motor,( 15mm hole )  this drives a 150mm pulley ..other end is another 35mm which drives the sewing head .

It mooches along so slowly now ... much more control

I used standard ball bearings on the shaft I turned up..only $3  for each bearing ...

If anyone wants a small M section pulley .. let me know .. I can bore it to any dimension .

MIKE
Consew 226 R-2 still learning

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

hdflame

Sounds interesting.  How's the torque?  Any pictures?  Too bad you didn't think of taking a before and after VIDEO! ;D
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

gene

I took my speed reducer off my sewing machine last month. I felt like I did when I took the training wheels off my bicycle, last year. (Just kidding about the 'last year' part.)

I sew a lot faster, obviously, and I am able to do everything that I could with the reducer.

I began to teach myself how to sew 6 years ago. The reducer made everything so much easier. I wonder if that that's the best way for anyone to learn on their own?

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

hdflame

I don't know about that Gene, but I know I like my servo motor.  I can dial up the speed anytime I want! ;D  Most of my sewing has been more intricate practice, but when I want to run welt or make long straight runs it's nice to have the option to increase the speed easily.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

bobbin

I learned to stitch in the time before Servo motors.  You either suffered the learning curve and learned to manage the pulley and motor your machine had or you looked for another job, lol. 

But decreasing the size of the machine's pulley is a a sure-fire way to slow that sucker down for pretty short "cabbage".  You can also tinker with the linkage between the treadle and the motor.  All of those things help.  But, IMO, there is no substitute for practice.  You have to learn how to effectively work the machine you sit behind every day!  There is no substitute for time, patience, and experience. 

With a clutch motor you learn how to manipulate the treadle to move the needle one stitch at a time.  You make mistakes, but you get over it, you learn from it, and you master the machine that is effectively your "partner".  There is no magic to make that happen. 

Don't get me wrong, I have two, state-of-the-art machines in my shop, both with Servo motors and I love them.  But a Servo motor is not the cure-all for inexperience.  Remember this!  Never be afraid to move the wheel by hand to get the job done quicky and accurately in tight spot.  And practice, practice, practice... with time and repetition comes speed and accuracy. 

(Trust me, I used to get paid by the piece... before Servo motors! how do you think I paid for my cars, my house, and saved the money to buy brand new machines? ;) )

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Bobbin,

;D  So your telling me to practice, and that I don't need a servo motor, but that you yourself have two?  

<sarcasm>I guess you are either telling us this is bad advice or you that you need to practice yourself!</sarcasm>

What gives?   :D

BTW, me, I can hardly sew a straight stitch at any speed.  LOL.  But I can do what I need to with most of these machines.

hdflame

Without a doubt, the practice is the most important! ;D  Even with the servo, I feel better every time I sit down in front of it.
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

bobbin

Greg, Servos are wonderful and I believe they are the wave of the future (esp. with respect to energy requirements).  But they are an expensive way to slow down a machine that is already equipped with a functional clutch motor.  Pulleys and treadle adjustments are frequently cheaper and as effective.  And there is no substitute for time in front of a machine and practice. 

And it takes a fair amount of time to develop a feel for the treadle and reaction time of every machine you have.  I have 4 other commercial machines, all with clutch motors and have been sewing professionally for over 30 yrs.  In that time I've trained countless stitchers to work "at rate" or efficiently and safely on skill appropriate projects within a week of being hired, so I know from whence I speak.   

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: bobbin on July 25, 2010, 03:16:31 am
In that time I've trained countless stitchers to work "at rate" or efficiently and safely on skill appropriate projects within a week of being hired, so I know from whence I speak.   

And that's one of the many reasons I come on here; I want to share an learn from others here.  I rely on my customers and folks here to learn what they want, and what they value and to learn from their experience.  Hopefully by the way I presented my post you can see that I was trying to have a bit of fun with you.  Sometimes that does not come across well in text. 

The fact is, inexpensive servo motors, say under $200, are new to the market.  Prior to that, some form a a standard clutch motor has been the mainstay for many, many decades.  Although I will say an old Amco and Singer motor is a lot better than some of the new crap clutch motors on the market.  But that story is also history as well. 

morrisman

Will post some pics soon.. sorry for the delay .

MIKE

'

morrisman

JuneC

Wow!  Nice...  Are you a former machinist?  That's nice work there...

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

NDAV8R

Hi Mike: Here is the pulley system that I made...really slows it down.

I have this on one of my 206rb Consews, and on the other I have the smallest drive pulley (1 1/2"?) on the other machine.

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Both look great, and if you are to do it yourselfer, work exaclty like the speed reducers on the market.  If you are an off the shelf kind of guy, this is exaclty how the on the market speed reducers work.  Not any better or worse, and may cost as little as the custom made parts would depending on what you do and how you make it.