Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 04:27:09 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Twin needle conversion to single

Started by morrisman, June 23, 2011, 08:05:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

morrisman

hello

Some advice . Just wondering if it is possible to use a twin needle machine

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Singer-Twin-Needle-sewing-machine-industrial-212A141AA-/300567561532?pt=AU_Sewing&hash=item45fb39053c

as a single needle machine ?   Does it work OK with one needle and does the second foot get in the way of work ?

MIKE
Consew 226 R-2 still learning

morrisman

June 23, 2011, 11:05:27 pm #1 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:10:45 pm by morrisman
Hello

Yes I agree ....that machine is in excellent shape . I know , people tell you stuff and advise you, but you have to go on your own judgement .

Industrial machines have gone up in price recently...

No TAFE around here does sewing .... I looked it up and the only one I could find was in HOBART , a sail making course !

Whats a 267 anyway ?????

A local chap in town hee is a retired upholsterer..hes got an old SINGER 111W .. he was going to give it to me , but his son wants it .

maybe a you can mount a single foot on a twin needle machine ???? or modify the double foot somehow ..chop it in half

MIKE

morrisman

Allan

June 24, 2011, 02:49:06 am #3 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:54:45 am by Allan
Mike

I have a Singer double neede machine  however I use it as a single needle machine most of the time
You can lift the second needle up or remove it altogether
The only downside to mine is
1) the max stitch length is 4.2mm (would be good if you could lengthen that) and
2) I had to put a 1420rpm speed motor on it as it was too darn fast
June C now has one also however I haven't heard how it is going
Allan

morrisman

Quote from: Allan on June 24, 2011, 02:49:06 am
Mike

I have a Singer double neede machine  however I use it as a single needle machine most of the time
You can lift the second needle up or remove it altogether
The only downside to mine is
1) the max stitch length is 4.2mm (would be good if you could lengthen that) and
2) I had to put a 1420rpm speed motor on it as it was too darn fast
June C now has one also however I haven't heard how it is going
Allan

Ok Allan

Sounds like it isn't an issue then.  I just thought that the 2nd foot would snag on material . I've never seen one so I am only guessing

Mike

Allan

Mike

There is only one foot with 2 needle slots in it
I don't have a pic handy but you can get the manual off the web and see it from there

Allan

scottymc

Mike, you might want to ring up these places, I did my trade schooling at Batman, they do night classes. I did a 6 month course at Holmeglen awhile ago , it was very good                                                       

http://www.kangan.edu.au/tafe-courses-melbourne-victoria/certificate-iii-in-automotive-vehicle-body-vehicle-trimming/aosc/1975                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            /http://www.holmesglen.edu.au/programs/short_courses/furnishing_and_decoration/furniture_re-upholstering_-and-_repair

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Lot of information here, some not so correct, too.

Durkopp Adler 267 was made in Germany, of course, for a long time.  Then for a brief period, the machine, 267-373 was made in China, and was not a bad machine at all.  Currently, this machine is not in production.  I do know who has a few new old stock, in the box, 267-373 machines, made in Germany tucked away.

As for machine prices prices 'going up', nothing is further from the truth; Machine prices are as low as they have EVER been.  Yes, it is correct to say that machines made in Japan and China have gone up over the past half year, but machines today are priced way below what they were say 15 years ago, respective to inflation. 

We used to sell a new Consew 206RB model 15 years ago for $1,585, and this was our best selling machine.  I don't have to tell you what they are going for today, and it's still one of our best selling machines.

As for double to single needle...you can take one needle out and do single needle work on a double needle, but you will be limited with presser feet for sure.  Double needle machines are not going to accept cording or zipper feet.  Overall, it's not recommended to use a double needle for single needle work.

fragged8

hiya

i had a twin needle long arm durkopp and only ever ran one needle, on the odd occasion I swapped the needle to the other side, say to sew the other side of a zipper.
If you look at the extra heavy duty Seiko machines a lot of them are converted twin needles. 
the down side is the wide foot.

rich

morrisman

Excellent . Thanks for the advice and tips .

re: the prices. I was mainly refering to second hand machines I have seen for sale here . Might be a different pricing regime compared to the USA because machines here tend to be more expensive anyway. The average dealer price for a used Juki 563 is over $1000 now. But you could get lucky and find a cheaper one sold privately.

Mike