Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 07:00:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staple Guns - rebuild or replace?

Started by baileyuph, July 15, 2015, 05:33:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

My long nose is miss firing - pull the trigger you get no staple.  Do the rebuild kits solve
these type of problems today?  It has been a while since I rebuilt a staple gun.

Is there generally a rebuild kit that usually takes care of normal wear on a gun?

I was looking for the name of my gun and could not find one on it, I think there is a record indicating where I bought it (several years 10?).  They might want me to mail them the gun??

Questions (everything going to pot in the shop LOL).

Doyle

MinUph

I've rebuilt guns. Sometimes it is good sometimes it is not. They are not that expensive so I replace them now unless it something simple like a worn stop. Many suppliers will take care of that for you if you ask. The ones that sell guns will more than likely have access to repair stations.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Unless it's a popular brand like Rainco, Fasco, or BEA...........finding a rebuild kit may be a crapshoot.

I've had great luck rebuilding those brands. But some of the off-brand guns I can't even take apart without breaking something. And there's always some o-ring that never fits back in it's place properly.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Update for what it might be worth---took the top of gun apart just for analysis.   Intuitively, thought it looked a bit dry.  So, reassembled and lubricated which got it working the rest of the day.

Just info, in case it could provide temporary benefit.  The long stretch we will see how it goes.

The oil used is lighter weight recommended for this purpose.

Doyle

MinUph

I do 2 drops of pneumatic oil once a week in my guns.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cajunpedaler

July 30, 2015, 06:30:25 pm #5 Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:32:48 am by cajunpedaler
I have a nearly 30 year old Rainco that I've had rebuilt twice.  Love that gun.  Shoots great at 60-70psi.  I like the way it sets a staple.  It's a company called Wooper that I send it to.

Correction...Yooper, not Wooper.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

kodydog

Some guns are worth repairing and some aren't. I bought a new Senco 16 years ago. it lasted 10 years and started to misfire. I took it apart and noticed it had a plastic cylinder and the piston was in there very sloppy. The cylinder was removable but discontinued everywhere I looked. I threw it out and bought a BeA.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

What does Yooper charge to rebuild a Rainco and is that cost typical of other brands?

Yooper's location?

Doyle

sofadoc

Here's a Rainco that I replaced the bumper in. The old one had got soft and squishy.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottUp

FULL DISCLOSURE: I WORK FOR UFFY TOOLS (that nice little banner ad up top).....I am biased and in my personal life will spend more money on tools than I might need to.

High-end tools like Fasco and BEA are great and should be rebuilt over time.  For maximum life of tools look for metal (not plastic) internal cylinders and hardened driver blades.

Low-end tools, it may be cheaper to replace than to repair.  A little research will usually lead to to a quick answer.

SteveA

That's good to know - are you here at the Corona address ?   
Thanks for supporting this site.  I wouldn't mind stopping by one day and talking up your company to the group here. 
Maybe some feedback from the tradesmen here could help all !  Let me know -

SA

gene

Not too much off the topic:

I spent 45 minutes last week taking my BEA apart and cleaning all the oil out of it. I got dark oil marks on fabric twice from the stapler toughing the fabric when I was stapling.

I had been putting a drop of oil in the air intake every day or so and I guess it built up to where it was coming out some of the openings.

I'm going to put a drop of oil in once a week or so. Lesson learned.

The dark oil spots came out with soap and water and the fabric dried without a trace of water stain. 

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!