Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 09:14:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Exam Tables

Started by jojo, March 17, 2012, 06:44:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hey guys,
I'm just starting some exam tables for an oncology clinic. The cover was originally constructed with no boxing, just darts sewn at the corners. These corners are where the wear started over the years. The customer wants to know if there is such a thing as a cap for the corner? Has anyone ever heard of this? Also, I've thought about just doing the table with boxing, but I don't know if this is normal protocol for an exam table. (This is my first time).

sofadoc

I've done some that are boxed. But the disinfectant sprays that they use on exam tables can be hard on stitching. Instead of just having a brittle seam on the corners, they may have one all the way around in a few years.
It kinda sounds like they want one that'll last forever.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

March 17, 2012, 09:32:14 am #2 Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:45:23 am by kodydog
We did some exam chairs (lounge) for an orthodontist last year. They had a slide on cap that covered the end of the chair where the feet rest and held in place with Velcro underneath. We used the old one as a pattern. Don't know if this would work for your exam tables or if you want to mess around making a pattern that may or may not work.

I have also seen boxed exam tables and question the sterility of a seam all the way around. We've all seen the gunk that gets in there.

I'm thinking the way it was done, with sewn darts, is the best way. Use a good anti-bacterial vinyl and it should last a while. If you can talk them into black a Magic marker will touch it right up.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Unless that metal corner piece was inset it seems it would catch someones skin and cut them getting on or off the table.

Since Solarfix/Tenara thread is impervious to chemicals it would seem like a good thread to use for a job like this.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on March 17, 2012, 02:29:27 pm
Since Solarfix/Tenara thread is impervious to chemicals it would seem like a good thread to use for a job like this.
It's usually not the thread that fails. The vinyl gets brittle from chemicals collecting in the seam.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

How about just a corner cutout instead of a boxing all around the top. Less seams and less area to catch crap. The end cap is about the only way to save the ends from wear. They can be thought of like arm caps on a chair. Use them now or use them later when the wear shows. But corner cutouts would also help. pretty simple and effective.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

jojo

Thanks guys. Minuph, the corners they are worried about are at the edge of the table where the person sits to wait for the doctor. There is a pull out leg rest for when the patient lays down. I'm thinking if the patient slides off the edge of the table to hop off, the caps would come off?

MinUph

You definitely don't want a boxing at the end where they sit and slide off. That will be a bad wear spot. Corner cutouts in the corners is best here. Id also forget about the caps unless you made them over 26" or so.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Rich

Depending on the table design, sometimes it's possible to build up the front corners by adding a 4"x4" square of very high density (rebond works well) foam under the existing foam. This allows you to heat the vinyl and stretch it over the corner eliminating the seam altogether without overly flattening the corner profile. Spirit Naugahyde works well for this technique as it will stretch w/o forming "stretch marks" as some vinyls will do.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!