Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 12:08:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sofa frames

Started by MinUph, May 05, 2013, 07:27:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Hey guys and gals,
  I am about to start a new sectional for a customer. Frame build and upholstery. I've done these before and always on the fly so to speak. Does anyone have any pics of bare frames? It might make it less time consuming if I have pictures. I do rough drawings but have to work in all the pieces as I go. I've never found decent pictures. Well not since computers anyway.
  If you have some please let me know.
  Thanks.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

google.com

click on: Images

type in: upholstery furniture frames

I also remember, vaguely, seeing, maybe on this forum, a web site for a company that made furniture frames.

That sounds like a fun project. I'd love to see pics of your progress if possible.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

I've done google searches and did see many images but not exactly what I was looking for. More of an up close and defined picture. But thats fine. I have the first or the three sections almost done. I'll try to remember to take some pictures tomorrow and post progress shots here.
  Thanks Gene.
  It is a fun project. I enjoy building things the most of anything.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobslost

Check Frank Chevron. com

jojo

Yes, this is very interesting. I've always wanted to try it, but don't know where to begin.
I like mid-century style sofas like these:

How hard do you think it would be to build the green one?

MinUph

jojo,
  These are fairly simple frames to build. Green would just be made out of either recycled materials, (flake board, Particle board) or a fast growing wood. Or if you just meen green in color its even easier.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

beauxdara

Just bumping this thread. I'm curious if you got any pics of your sectional, or had any advice on building a frame. For some reason I have this nagging need to build my own sofa. Maybe it's because I can't find anything I like! Thanks in advance!

MinUph

I do have some pics that I will post tonight when I have more time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

I built this for the folks I worked for last year. Sorry I can't be much help except to say they had the frame shipped from NC.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

Check out http://www.chervan.com/

I would think sofa frames are a lot like chairs (to a woodworker).    Nothing is square, complicating joinery.  Only some things are straight.   And there is a low material-to-stress ratio (i.e., little bit of frame and lots of stress)  Not only do you have springs and webbing constantly pulling on the frame, you have to account for non-standard use (teenagers sitting on the arms, overweight people dropping themselves down on the seat, kids using like a trampoline or landing pad, etc.)
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

MinUph

I guess I don't have any pics of the process of building this built in sectional. Sorry bout that but the next one I will document better. I built this to fit into an area for a customer. There was also a pillar in the corner I had to build around. It worked out perfectly. We first made a floor pattern so I would get the fit just right. The frame was basically made from 1x4 stock. On this one I used rubber webbing no springs.
Here is a picture of the finished product anyway.

http://www.minichillosupholstery.com/images/produced/2012-08-23_11-18-14_504.jpg
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

One of the very first things I learned about furniture is that its relative value is largely determined by the quality of the frame.  I called a guy to reupholster a piece I'd pulled off the side of the road, he said, "maybe".   I put in the truck, and he looked it over carefully, picked it up, jiggled it back and forth, and then peeled back the cambric and had a "look under the hood".  "It's a good one".  Then he explained about framing. 

I have a sofa (early/mid 1950s) and the back is sprung as well as the deck.  Is that common on upholstery of the period? or is springing used on backs when you're looking for a more rounded, curved look (is it a tool to achieve a shape)? when did the use of back springing go the way of the buggy whip?  If you don't use springs on a back, what do you use instead and how much of it do you have to use to get a nice, smooth, firm back that is comfortable and durable?

As usual, I am blown away by how really beautiful your work is, you guys.  How long did does it take you to spring and tie something the size of the pcs. you've both shared? (do your hands feel as though they're going to fall off when you're finished with that phase of construction??)

MinUph

Springs in backs basically are long gone. This is due mainly to the foam industry offering all types of foam. A back can be made out of foam and achieve the same if not better feel. Really the same goes with seats although I still like a hand tied coil spring base for the support of it. The sectional I posted had no springs in the seats or backs just rubber webbing. But when tying a sofa sectional my hands do get tired. By the end of the first sofa I have 4 or 5 fingers wrapped with mashing tape to keep the blisters at bay.
Some commercial customers till want springs in backs for high end booth work but they spec ziggers not coils.
We can get foam shaped to any configuration no a days and that certainly helps with backs but most are just blocks made to work.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

Thanks for the good answer, Paul.  You really need to teach upholstery; wish I were closer!

byhammerandhand

AKA "Good Bones"

Quote from: bobbin on July 19, 2014, 03:47:36 am
One of the very first things I learned about furniture is that its relative value is largely determined by the quality of the frame. 
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison