Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 06:14:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mark up on fabric and COM...is it profits lost?

Started by Steve at Silverstone Fabrics, May 06, 2011, 08:25:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mike802

In my area customers with their own fabric represent a large segment of my client base.  It is so large in fact that I had to restructure my business plan to make it work.  What I have done is come up with an hourly rate to make up for the loss of the fabric sale.  When I do make a fabric sale, you could say I have just padded my bottom line, but that would be short sighted.  To make the sale I usually have to spend one on one time with my customer, helping him, or her go through the samples, explaining the different choices, cleaning codes, durability, etc.  Then I have to take the time to call in the order, receive the order and check for correct amount and flaws. On top of that I am expected to warranty the fabric through the duration of time that the manufacture has set on the fabric, and sometimes beyond, depending on the amount of business I receive from the customer. So when a customer pays more money to me, by purchasing fabric from me, they haven't just payed more, they have purchased a higher value.

I can understand some people being hesitant about discussing pricing on a public forum.  It may be different in places other that the area I work, but in my area people do not understand the time, effort and talent required to upholster anything in a professional looking manner.  Where I live mechanics charge between 45 - 75 dollars pr hour, this is a good general guideline for other trades as well.  But when an upholster charges a similar amount it is a very hard sell.  I once has a woman call me and ask if she dropped of a wing chair that morning, if she could pick it up later that afternoon, like she was dropping it off for an oil change or something.  I think that people who read this forum will become more educated about what is involved in reupholstering and thus be at least more understanding of the prices upholsters charge.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com