Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 05:15:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is Auto Upholstery an Under-Appreciated Craft?

Started by TheHogRing, May 01, 2012, 09:49:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

How often does this happen to you? A customer brings his project car to your auto upholstery shop wanting a full interior restoration, but has blown most of his budget on the body, paint and mechanics. Now, he wants to spend as little as possible for a showroom-quality interior.

Sadly, it often seems that professional auto upholsterers are under-appreciated and under-valued. Ironically, though, car owners spend more time sitting inside the cabins than staring at their vehicles parked in the streets.

Case in point: http://tinyurl.com/c8xz8z6

206RB

Absolutely! But the biggest problem is when Trimmers undervalue themselves.

mike802

When I first went into business all those years ago my sole intention was to only do auto trim.  I learned real fast if I wanted to eat I would have to branch out.  I ended up doing anything I could, cars, boats, heavy equipment, bikes, and furniture even tried my hand at awnings. I still dabble in auto trim, I have a few restorers who bring a couple interiors a year, but I have focused on upholstering furniture and building handcrafted furniture today.  Once someone masters auto trim all other types of upholstery is easy, at least in my experience, others my have a different opinion.  And it is very under appreciated, people just do not comprehend the time and skill involved.  Where I live the interior out last the body, so people needing interior repair are mostly low income trying to get by driving a 15 + year old vehicle, or do it yourselfers building a custom car because they couldn't afford one otherwise.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com