Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 10:10:42 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering long nose stapler and associated air hoses - #7 gun

Started by baileyuph, July 16, 2016, 05:51:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I am approaching the need to replace the #7 long nose gun and associated hoses currently used for furniture upholstery.

The German long nose seems very appealing - had good experience with their standard nose air gun that shoots # 7 staples.  So, that gun with a long nose is of interest.

The hoses, do most use one type of hose from compressor to gun or incorporate a coil hose where the gun connects?  How long do you like the coil hose to be.

Also, the main hose coming from the compressor, there seems to be two diameter sizes used here.  One (the larger) is some where near 3/4 inch diameter and appear to be rubber.  Then, there is a smaller hose also use that would be 1/2 inch or less hose.

Seems all will work, any experience that indicates which works best for furniture?

I will probably go with 50' of hose from compressor then could add the .....is it called recoil?

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  Some go very high tech with hoses and such. I never have and have no issues with my setups. My shop up north had a soft line from the compressor up the wall and over the ceiling to where the coiled hoses would connect. They were all rubber and good size. Probably the 3/4" you mentioned. The coiled lines connected to a water separator and then down to the tool. I still have that hose and it still is good.
  The shop I bought now was preconfigured with roughly 200 feet of 3/4"hose and most of it is coiled on the floor by the compressor. Not to my liking but I haven't taken the time to do it over. We have no real issues with it so it stays for now. More importantly the compressor gets emptied a couple times a year now. We get a lot of water in it. from Florida weather.
  Upholstering furniture isn't like spraying paint with air. It really isn't all that critical.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with your ideas.  The one thing that was giving me questions is how durable is the recoil?  It is plastic.   

Man!  Moisture is or can be an issue.  Mine is best bled off pretty often.  I use air for furniture, marine stapling, and running impact tools (mostly auto seats).  That is the reason for the 50' hose, I often run it out on the parking lot to get truck seats and such out of vehicles.  On work like that I don't need a recoil, but find it more effective on furniture.

But, for a small shop having two main supply hoses isn't justified.  I guess I could disconnect the recoil when it isn't needed.

Also, thinking about going to maybe an extra long nose stapler because it would mean fewer staple size changes (more efficient).  Along with this idea I have one long nose that could use a plunger and o-rings and would function like new.  Now, where to order parts?

Thanks, Ideas are always helpful.

Doyle

kodydog

My personal favorite setup is overhead, flexible hose is good but PVC is better and galvanized pipe is best. Center the coupler directly over your workstation for easy access to all parts of your work. From the ceiling to my gun I like the coil hose.

In my current temporary shop I have a hose directly from my compressor to my gun and it seams like I'm always tripping over it, moving it, twisting the kinks out of it or coiling it up to get it out of the way. With an overhead setup, when your done with the gun simply detach it and hang the hose from a hook in the ceiling.

A coiled hose from the compressor directly to my gun is the worse. IMO. It seems like I'm always untangling the darn thing. A overhead coiled hose will occasionally tangle also but not near as much as one on the floor.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

I spray so I have galvanized pipes to the extractor - the extractor has two sides -  from there a 25 foot poly hose for air tools on one side and a 25 foot 5/8 rubber hose on the other side for the spray gun.  Since all connections are quick connects - I have additional hose that I can add as necessary like when I have to get outside to the driveway for a low tire -
SA

sofadoc

I'm finally getting around to wiring an extra 220V outlet, so I can get a bigger air compressor that will provide enough CFM for tools like the Bantam ripper, the decorative nail gun, and the Bazooka filler. As well as other "air hog" tools.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: sofadoc on July 17, 2016, 07:01:41 am
I'm finally getting around to wiring an extra 220V outlet, so I can get a bigger air compressor that will provide enough CFM for tools like the Bantam ripper, the decorative nail gun, and the Bazooka filler. As well as other "air hog" tools.

Yes compressors run so much better on 220. I want to run a line to mine. But its like 75 80 feet to the panel. Lazy i guess.
I run my little sears 1 hp at home on 220. Always have foud it runs smoother,quiter.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on July 17, 2016, 12:08:00 pm
I want to run a line to mine. But its like 75 80 feet to the panel. Lazy i guess.

Same here. I've got to do an 80 foot run. Just kept putting it off.

baileyuph

Everyone is busy like me, it sounds like.  My work load is significant (not complaining), but there is more profit in keeping up with it.  I have done five big chairs and a lot of repair work the past couple weeks, plus car seat original work.  I got a pretty big project to do now for a larger organization.  I need to get going on this project - several thousand.

All this has prevented me from taking time out and getting my air power fixtures brought up to date.  I have been investigating replacement and/or repair on one staple gun but may as well get a new air line along with this. 

There are several, well a couple at least, in the area where new hoses and attachments can be obtained.  Their quality has always been a question with me, but may go look and see what my impression is.

Do most of you business owners look these type of suppliers over for hoses and fixtures?

Equally important, if so, does their equipment hold up, at least reasonably well?

They sound a lot cheaper than places like hardware and Sears stores.

Doyle

sofadoc

I buy hoses and fittings from a local tractor/farm supply. They cost more than the ones at places like Lowes and Home Depot, but they last WAY longer.

Everyone has their "pet peeves". I absolutely positively can't stand a hissing air connection. It might as well be fingernails on a chalkboard.

baileyuph

Strong point Dennis.  Can't stand the noise plus it over works the compressor.  You know, there is a new farm store not awfully far from me, you might have given me the best idea.

Thanks and I will likely get the new parts there, these other stores are filled with stuff from China.

Doyle

gene

I've tried a few places for connectors and I buy the ones that last the longest. The big box stores carry the cheapest ones, it seems.

I also never give a hose a tool to hiss in.

I know what you mean about being busy and not getting other tasks completed, Doyle. When I'm at work I want to work and get things done that I get paid for getting done. The many projects I have lined up just sit there waiting.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

Some choices I never liked but have had where the yellow coil hoses, a complete hassle!
I recommended a few years ago here an air hose from Menards it coiled up well in the cold out side that is a big deal with me in quality rubber or whatever it is. I found later this hose tended to fold itself over in the summer in pulling it so blocking air travel but it was on sale.
So with some questions here I will pass some information on so it may be an option in your busy shops.
In 2000 where I worked the construction of 3 big buildings and as the Equipment mechanic I was ask and designated many aspects of the building, as a matter of fact my equipment building (home autocad) designs landed me in the HQ designing along side with Pro Architects for many of the subsequent buildings used specifically for equipment, in short I had experience what the personnel needed and did some home work on materials of pro quality for personnel to use as in my own area 3 of 12 bay with newly designated 50' deep buildings versus old 40' which is a joke for construction equipment and tractor repair. anyway
I selected and purchased the red windup air hose reels empty ( the reel ones ), and then loaded them with 1/2'' Goodyear air hose they were perfectly functional when I left.
So if I were to setup another, the Goodyear hose from a local source that can build them, this was my method from a hydraulic and hose fabrication shop I used brass Milton connectors on the female side as they are durable and can be repaired in short order. Goodyear also has available super small hose that is sufficient for 8-15' on a finish nail and stapler tool, perfect for a work station I believe especially incorporating a good quality swivel adapter on the tool.

Good day
Floyd