Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:06:40 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New Machine

Started by GMP, February 22, 2011, 02:19:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on February 27, 2011, 03:44:37 pm
 It's next to impossible for me to do comparisons with out somebody's personal feelings getting hurt.  Everybody likes to think what they have is the best, myself included.  

Greg: Heck, your not going to hurt my feelings. I KNOW my Chandler is not the best machine out there. That is a fact. I am a realist and knew when I bought it I was buying a model that wasn't in the same class as the big boys. :)

With that said and if money was no object, I would have bought something else, probably a Pfaff or Adler. I think those two are awesome machines and the best money can buy.

The Chandler was my purchase choice because of my budget, need for a reliable machine that could sew anything and one I could buy replacement parts or attachments for from many different sources.

This machine analogy reminds me of when my wife and I were shopping for a new motorcoach. It took me 6 months of constant research and talking with current coach owners to find and make a decision on buying one. We found the ideal one for us with the exact floor plan that we wanted. Sticker price was
$ 215 K. During our search we found a few that were $ 250 K but we decided against spending the extra money because there was no added value for that kind of money except a few added trim pieces. :)

I am  frugal. I study and research all my purchases and felt that my sewing and the amount I do as well as my budget did not require a high end machine. As it is I know I will be dead and buried and someone else will be sewing on my Chandler. Its pretty bad when we make machines that outlive their owners. :)

If I can save myself some money without compromising quality and reliability then I will. I would rather spend that money at an RV resort in Key West then put it into a machine dealers pocket. Besides, you and Bob already are wealthy and have all the money you need...........LOL......:) I am a broken down, poor upholsterer.  8)

Chris

gene

The guy with 35 years of fixing sewing machines here in my town said a Chandler will go for 25 years before it has a problem and the Juki will go for 30 years before it has a problem. He said that's the primary difference other than the price.

He said the Highlead and Chandler are similar machines with no difference in the quality.

I think that the primary question you should be asking comparing the Juki, Chandler, and Highlead is where can you get the best service from if something does go wrong with it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Gene:

That is very true. Service is a key issue. I had no problem buying with Bob despite him being in Toledo, Ohio and I am in Florida. I wished we would have had a dealer close by me so I could have went in and sat down at several of the machines. But I put a ton of faith in what Bob told me.

Greg alluded to the fact that its important to have any new machine setup by the dealer before shipping and I agree with him 100 %. My first new machine that I bought was not done that way and was drop shipped from the manufacturer. I chased setup issues with it for 3 months and had major headaches with it.

When I ordered my machine from Bob, he inspected and then set it all up so when I got the machine it was ready to go. I had no problems with it and has required no other service or setup work.

If I have a major problem with it I will have to throw it in the box and ship it back to Bob for repairs. I probably have a dealer in Tampa which is 50 miles or so away but I would not trust anyone else to work on it but Bob.

I am curious though. What do most do when they buy a machine. Did you all buy from a local dealer or did you buy from a distant dealer and have it shipped like I did ?

Chris

bobbin

I purchased both my Jukis from the local mechanic/dealer.  I have known him for years and he's taken care of my machinery for most of that time.  He was terrific helping me solve a presser foot problem with my overlock machine and whenever something has come up he's been right there for me.  That means a lot to me.  And that's why I chose to pay a little more and buy from him.  I'm glad I did. 

baileyuph

sofadoc

Yeah, the importance of having a local SM mechanic can't be overstated.
My guy died several years ago. Thanks to the greatness of Juki, I haven't needed one since. But I'd like to be ready should the need arise.
I'm 50 miles from Dallas. Can anybody recommend some one in the Dallas area? I've talked to a couple of places. I was underwhelmed.
One place told me flat out that he "didn't really even understand walking foot machines". My competitor in town took his Pfaff to a Dallas shop. 2 weeks, $300 (all he did was time it).
If the Dallas area has a Keystone equivalent, I haven't found it yet.
I think Gregg should take his act on the road.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

stitcher

March 06, 2011, 05:41:06 pm #36 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:43:48 pm by stitcher
I have been PFAFF owner for years. I have owned my brands from Consews, Pfaffs, Durkrop Adler and Juki.  Greg from Keystone makes a good point about different type of machines.  In my experiences nothing sews as smooth as a Pfaff 1245 or can sew as heavy as a Adler 205-370.  But I have to say I am converting to a Juki nut.  The availability on machines and parts won me over to Juki as comparied to Pfaff.  I purchased a 1509 from Greg and overall like it more than a 1245 Pfaff.  15 years ago I would never have said that, but it is amazing what time will do to your tastes

STITCHER

RENE G

March 06, 2011, 11:52:22 pm #37 Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:03:02 am by RENE G
   If I may jump into the fray so to speak. My very first machine was a singer zig zag (don't remember model no.), when came time to replace  I was looking for a pfaff 545 but at the time could only find a used dealer refurbished pfaff 145, it's been great and done everything asked of it. I am looking at replacing when I sell this one (soon). My criteria is this, I look for machine capable of doing everything I want plus more, as I know that with a robust machine I can move on to tougher projects if I chose to. I would spend the extra $$$'s to get into either a Pfaff or a Juki as these are very desirable machines with very good brand recognition which translates to higher resale value later when I want to get rid of it. Plus the fact that being more recognizable there will be better chance for quick sale as opposed to laying in a closet or garage for years cause not everyone wants unknown or uncommon brand. So for 4 me anyways Juki 1508 or 1509, or Pfaff 1245. Of course a good dealer refurbished of either of these or Durkopp/Adler should also not be overlooked as you may well find a real jewel that would be comparable in price to new lesser brand. Ask Gregg at Keystone, he and I spoke at length about this some time back, and from our conversations, when it comes time I WILL BE dealing with him only,I liked and appreciated the way he does business. Your needs could not be better served elsewhere. IMHO
                                                                       Rene

GMP

Thanks for all of your feedback. It was a very difficult decision but I ended up purchasing the Pfaff 1245. After reading all of the posts I purchased the machine locally here in SoCal. If I ever need service my dealer can provide that for me. Now I have another question. For those of you that work with Sunbrella---Do you have a favorite thread manufacture? Coats? Dabond?

Thanks again for all your recommendations

Greg

Mojo

Congrats Greg. The Pfaff is one awesome machine.

In regards to thread. If your going to be doing sunbrella which is exposed to the outdoor elements I would recommend using Sunguard. It will take a beating from the sun as well as salt air and will perform very well. I also love the way it sews in my machine. It is about $ 10 more for a 1 lb spool then regular bonded Poly but worth it.

I would use nothing smaller then V92. Myself I use nothing but 138 on any fabric that will be exposed to the elements.

The trick to ordering and getting good thread is to get it from a legit supplier. I get my thread through Miami and just learned my lesson on buying through others. I got a junk spool and it caused me nothing but headaches. Some stitchers here order online through the Thread Exchange.

Best of luck with your new machine. :)

Chris