Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 07:18:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My New Digs

Started by Mojo, August 29, 2010, 06:23:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Chris, I meant to ask you earlier what you used as support for the fold down leaf on your table.  I have wanted to add one or two leaves to one of my tables but I don't know very much about the supporting hardware. 

How big is the leaf on your table?
How many brackets did you use to give it the support it needs?
Is the leaf supported by the spring loaded brackets?

sawdustar

Looks really good Chris..!!!! That's a LOT of work and you have done very well.!!!! I'm excited for ya.  8) 8) 8)
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

Mojo

Bobbin:

I attached the leaf to my table using regular door hinges. I then used the spring loaded brackets that I bought at Lowes. They are about 8 inches in length. The leaf is 24 x 28 inches, not very big.

If you go with a bigger leaf I suggest bigger spring / support brackets. The leafs are very easy to mount.

I wished I could have had a bigger table area around me but I only had so much room to work with. :) If you go to do this and have problems, let me know and I will try and get pictures and post them.

It is real simple and straight forward though.

Chris

Mojo

Quote from: sawdustar on August 31, 2010, 02:59:58 pm
Looks really good Chris..!!!! That's a LOT of work and you have done very well.!!!! I'm excited for ya.  8) 8) 8)

Thanks Dennis.

I have been wondering how you and the family are. How is your Dad doing ?

Drop me an e-mail and let me know.

Chris

P.S. Any new wood projects lately ?

Toledo Mach. Sales

WOW Chris,
That looks great,nice & bright & easy to work in.Sounds like the cutting guide you made will come in handy too.
I see your have a great machine there too!??!
Bob    ;D ;D
We sell New& Used Industrial Sewing Machines,Parts,Needles & Thread.
Toll-Free#1-866-362-7397

Mojo

Yeah, its a great machine. I forgot who I bought it from. Some old dude up in Toledo, Ohio. :)

It is great being able to see what I am doing. :) The shop is really working out nice. Of course in a few weeks I will be complaining and wanting more space. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteI meant to ask you earlier what you used as support for the fold down leaf on your table.

Other options include ;

bolt support arms to the table that swing out to support and in to allow the "drop". Carriage bolts will sink in flush with the table.

hinged legs to the leaf that fold up and get secured when not in use like the table in a lot of campers.

and for the truly space constraint and creative..
>
>
>
>
a couple of cans of beans the right height to pull that material trolley like Chris' out from under the table and use them for shims. When you're done cutting fold everything up , put it away and dent one can of beans and stand it in front of the heat gun rotating occassionally. When the dent comes out , you will have the best can of beans for lunch  you can imagine. THAT IS NOT A JOKE. The dent makes what could be a bomb (figuratively speaking) into a pressure cooker by reducing the volume of gases. Open as you would a pressure cooker.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Peppy

Chris, I would kill for half that space in my house, but it's WAYYYyyyy to clean. If you PM me your address I'll happily send you all my clutter to make you look 'professional'. Just here to help.

COD BTW.

Quote from: Darren Henry on September 01, 2010, 06:23:39 pm
put it away and dent one can of beans and stand it in front of the heat gun rotating occassionally. When the dent comes out , you will have the best can of beans for lunch  you can imagine. THAT IS NOT A JOKE. The dent makes what could be a bomb (figuratively speaking) into a pressure cooker by reducing the volume of gases.

The things you learn from upholstery! Eh+!

☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

September 01, 2010, 08:02:16 pm #23 Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 08:04:39 pm by Mojo
OK. I went out and messed up my shop for all of you.

But due to my OCD it wont stay that way for long. :)

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Up%20Shop/?action=view&current=MessyShop.jpg

Its as messy as it will ever get. Drives me nuts to have clutter. :)

Chris

funkster

just curious what were the dimensions on the table and where did you get your v groove pieces?

Mojo

The dimensions of the table are 4 x 8 ft. plus the 2.5 ft extension.

The groove ( aluminum ) channel I picked up at Lowes for 7 or 8 bucks.

Chris

sawdustar

Quote from: Mojo on August 31, 2010, 06:23:54 pm
Quote from: sawdustar on August 31, 2010, 02:59:58 pm

Thanks Dennis.

I have been wondering how you and the family are. How is your Dad doing ?

Drop me an e-mail and let me know.

Chris

P.S. Any new wood projects lately ?

Well, I've been hanging out on the Honda Shadow forum, the Leather Working forum, my woodworking forum, Facebook (to keep up with my kids and family), and just work.

My dad's cancer has grown in the last 6 months. He's in a LOT of pain and they can't seem to get his cancer under control. Chemo has been changed twice, stronger each time. They still don't know what kind of cancer he has, but they do say that it is a very rare type cancer. He's been to M.D. Anderson in Texas and gets treatment at their local hospital in Huntsville, AL where they live.

On a brighter note....I've started my first upholstery project and it's my Great Grandmother's old rocking recliner. I'll start a thread and post some pics as I'm just not getting the old coverings off the chairs.....to include duct tape.  ;D
Thanks a Bunch,
Dennis Peacock

Mojo

Dennis:

I am real sorry to hear about your Dad. I was hoping MD Anderson would figure it out.

Your Dad and entire family remains in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do for your Dad.

Chris

bobbin

Cancer is a very hard thing to watch when there's nothing you can do to help.  I'm sorry that your Dad is in such a bad way, too.  Hurts, in a big way, I know. 

stitcher_guy

Chris, that is not clutter. You staged that just to take a picture. The last 5 jobs this week, I haven't had time to clean up in between, plus my glue gun broke in the middle of it all, which held me up a bit so I started throwing evenmore stuff around. I"ll try to get a pic of my floor, then you will know the definition of clutter. You need a few erroneous glue sprays on the wall to start to get it to look lived in. LOL