Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:26:37 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My New Digs

Started by Mojo, August 29, 2010, 06:23:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

August 29, 2010, 06:23:56 pm Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:41:52 pm by Mojo
I finally got moved into my shop and knocked off a few projects. Wow........ It is my first shop with a cutting table and my first shop with enough room to move around without tripping over myself. I wont miss my enclosed trailer anytime soon. :)

But in regards to the table itself. I went with Mike and Junes suggestion and used melamine. I then took my router and cut a half inch " V " groove down the length and also another on the side. I picked up 2 - 7 ft long pieces of 1/2 inch aluminum V channel and embedded those into the grooves. This is now my cutting guide. I was hoping I didn't make a mistake by adding this cutting channel into the table. As it turns out it works awesome and gives you perfect cuts every time. The knife never slips out. I lay a 71 inch long straight edge down on top of the fabric before I cut it and that helps hold the fabric in place.

My only gripe is that I didn't have enough room to extend the table behind me. I did place shelves under one side of the table to store fabric on and on the other side I have a cart on casters which holds numerous rolls of fabric. I wheel the cart out, get what I need and then wheel the cart back under the table.

My back and knees are really loving this new setup. I have spent the last couple years cutting long pieces of fabric on the floor and it about killed my knees and back. This table makes laying things out and cutting so much easier.

Here is a link to the photos. I hope this works.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Up%20Shop/

Chris

Mike8560

Cool
idea with the cutting slot chris. And I've got to say your making a real statme t with that PINK broom   Now get that rood dirty!

fragged8

Looking really good chris

It's going to be so nice sewing in there being so clean and bright.

Are you going to fit some drop down table sides to extend the table capabilities ?

Rich

stitcher_guy

Awesome room, Chris. That could be in a "how to" manual. You'll never want to come out of it.

I was chuckling, though, just trying to picture me in that shop. You're on the PRO Stitch Facebook page. have you looked at the "shop tour" album? I'm a hopeless packrat and have waaaaayyyyy too much in my building. I'd fill your shop with my foam and material stocks. LOL.

Great job, boss.

bobbin

That's a lot of work, Chris.  It looks great.  And all the fabric stores have that lined groove to make cutting yard goods easier.  You are going to love working in there. 

Mojo

I went back and added photos of the drop leaf table as well as the photos of my wife's work station. She is an artist and seamstress so we share the cutting table. But she has her own work area and storage.

I threw a couple other pictures in there as well of my machine, etc.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes Bobbin, I got that idea of the cutting groove from the local JoAnne's store. :) You can use a razor knife or scissors in the groove. Works perfect and I am extremely glad I put them in.

If I am cutting large pieces of fabric ( 60 or 98 " ) I use the long groove. If I am cutting smaller fabric then I roll it out the other way and use the groove at the end of the table.

Chris

mike802

Great looking shop Chris.  I really like the bright well lit work environment, you did a great job.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Can-Vas

Nice looking room Chris - but waa-ay too neat.  Your going to have to mess it up with foam and fabric scraps!!!    ;D
I'd rather be sailing..  - but if ya gotta work it's nice to be around boats!

regalman190

Really nice looking shop. Wish mine looked like that.
Regal Canvas

rustyeod

Hey Mojo 
I just did the same.  I've been in the new shop a month now and I still get a little giddy when I see the new table. 12 x 16 foot of happiness.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/rustyeod/Shop/IMG00231-20100712-1647.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/rustyeod/Shop/IMG00229-20100712-1646.jpg

Mojo

Geeez Rusty. That table of yours is HUGE. You could hold a dance party on that thing.

Great setup. :)

Chris

Darren Henry

Rusty; I'm not even talking to you I'm so jealous. >:(  :P

Hey Chris; good on 'ya mate. I'm tickled pink for you. I just flipped through the album quick, but didn't see a drop leaf like at the end of the table on the long side. might come in handy.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Thanks everyone. I am really enjoying this new shop and find it so much easier to work in versus a small enclosed trailer with no climate control. :)

Yes there is a drop leaf on the table next to the machine. I wished it was bigger but it was all I had room for.
I would have liked a large table as well but since I do no canvas / marine work I have no large pieces to sew. I believe the largest piece to date I have ever sewn was 110 ".

Thanks again everyone. I am really enjoying the shop. It has been a long time coming. All I have left to do is decorate. I am putting a shelf near the ceiling around the room to put some of my antiques on. :)

Chris

JuneC

Nice!  Too clean, though.  I suppose it helps to specialize so you don't have to worry about storing gazillions of rolls of different stuff. 

Rusty, I've found that my large table (8 x 12) is actually too large.  I can't use most of the space.  On numerous occasions when trying to pattern and cut on it, I've had to get on top of it.  Even patterning/cutting a 60" wide fabric roll along one edge of the table is impossible - I can't reach the other side.  I'm thinking that for now, I'll use the table for small stuff and continue to do all my large pieces on the floor.  After all, if I'm going to crawl around on my hands and knees, it's probably safer on the floor than the table.  Even if the table were only 60" wide, I'd have to walk around it to the other side in order to pattern/cut anything past the center - much faster on my knees. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I could have squeezed another foot or two on my table, but that would have put it against the wall and like you June I wanted access to both sides of the table.

It helps working with smaller pieces of fabric as compared to large boat covers and other canvas products.

Speaking of knees. I just sewed a half cushion with vinyl to use on my knees. I had a scrap piece of 4 inch foam so I used that and wrapped it in vinyl. The older you get the harder it is to work while kneeling.

Chris