Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 11:22:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Off Topic but HELP!!!

Started by Virgs Sew n Sew, April 26, 2015, 07:19:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

We enrolled in AKC Obedience Training.  We completed Basic and Advanced Basic.  AKC Obedience work includes (very specific) voice commands and equally specific hand commands.  The goal is that the dog must look to/AT you for direction! the hand commands, taught in conjunction with voice commands, ensure that a deaf handler/deaf dog can still be worked and controlled with reasonable certainty.  My "neighbor" across the street was astounded when I commanded our dog to "down/stay" while we were talking by the mailboxes across the street from my home.  I simply turned and faced our dog (in our yard, across the road from my location) and said, "Down" in conjunction with the hand command (a sweeping down motion) and said, "Stay" (an abrupt vertical cock of the right wrist).  The dog obeyed immediately and I praised him as soon as he was "down" and "staying". 

You do not "negotiate" captainship!  Your dog does what you tell him to do within 3 seconds or you enforce the command immediately.  Captainship is not about "negotiation".  You say it, he does it within 3 seconds or you correct him and put him in the desired position.  End of story.  You give the command ONE TIME, you allow 3-5 seconds, and then you enforce it!  This is where Mr. Leash and Mr. Training Collar become your best friends.  If you have them and use them you will be able to control a dog who does not yet know how to obey you or who doesn't "take you seriously".  You don't have to be "mean" or rough, but you do have to be "ruthless", and you must enforce every command or the dog will know you're basically an Obedience Pussy.  The key is to be relentlessly consistent.  Dogs understand that and they actually thrive on it.  Once he's done what's been asked you make him hold it for 30 seconds before praising him.  And praise IS NOT A RELEASE.  Make him continue to obey you for 1-2 minutes before releasing him.  Gradually increase the time he's require to comply and he will come to understand that doing what's been asked of him gains him warm praise and affection.  This fosters trust and that's the foundation of an affectionate, loyal, and obedient dog.

The thing that so many dog owners miss about obedience work is that it's about establishing an affectionate working relationship... , you're the Cap't! it's about doing it what you command and then waiting for further ORDERS.  This will keep your dog safe in a world utterly controlled by increasingly weird human beings!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Cool, thank you so much.

I don't know if our obedience is AKC or not yet.  Will ask Tuesday evening.  Want to get through these sessions and see how Joe is.  Love the idea of hands/voice working together.  Also makes great sense about praising while holding command and increasing length of time required to hold the position.  That is one thing I can start working on right now (sit). 

Feeling good that Tuesday is almost here.  Joe does know that he's not supposed to screw with Jim.  He always waits until I'm out of the room and then I hear him start to tussle.  Most times I don't have to even go into the living room.  Tell him to "Leave Jim alone" and whoosh, he's on the couch.  Anyway, even with a mostly rainy Saturday he was more than acceptable.  Just a little rowdy as we didn't get much yard playtime in.  Rain subsided at the right time that we could walk but otherwise it was rainy and I did need to try and get some work done.  Looks to be a nice sunny day so we'll be back to our new schedule of 15-20 minutes of ball/Frisbee every couple of hours (that lets me get some work done).  Have some RV seats with a drop dead date of Wed pm so have to keep plugging away.

Thanks again for your insight and encouragement as it is very much appreciated!

Virginia

gene

It seems that owners' personalities can fit better with some dogs than others. I have a yellow lab who's personality seems to fit mine. My third yellow lab.

There are dogs that I would not want to have. Or at least my impression of some dogs is such that I would not want them.

Do dogs become more like their owners, or do owners become more like their dogs? Or are similar personalities to begin with are the ones who last?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

May 10, 2015, 10:27:29 am #33 Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:32:35 am by byhammerandhand
I do not feel bad for taking this topic off topic.  Because, well.   And my favorite is Mr. Putin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=people+that+look+like+their+dogs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=T5RPVZOAA4LAggSU4YHoAw&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1252&bih=557

And my grand-daughter (almost 10 years old) got this as a party favor for a friend's birthday party?!?
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Mojo

Gene:

You make a good point.

I once worked with a GSD dog owner who was having behavioral issues with her dog. After a month I finally had to tell her there was nothing wrong with the dog, it was her and she needs to consider a different breed. GSD's because they are a very strong minded and intelligent breed and because of their fierce pack mentality needs a strong minded person who can assume the role of pack leader. Otherwise a GSD will run all over you and control you and your home.

My years of working and training dogs included not only the GSD breed but also the Lab. I always suggest to people to consider a lab if they have young kids. GSD's feed off the energy of their masters and kids can really get them wound up. A lab makes great play mates, mind very well, are intelligent and are awesome family dogs.

My grandkids spent Christmas with us and they ran rough shod on our two GSD's. They took all the poking, prodding, being laid on, etc. and never once got annoyed. But dang it took two days for them both to settle back down into our routine after the kids left. :)

While I always have owned GSD's I also had a lab as they made great farm dogs and companions. They are an awesome breed. I am actually considering a lab for our next dog. I miss them.

Chris

CW

I know every dog person has their own ways of working through training, and this is the one way I do it. It may or may not work for you, but I thought I would share anyway. I foster German Shepherds, and  get them, usually, at their worst. No obedience training, never been in a house, or abused and starved. While every dog is different, there are a couple things I am very consistent with. One is using a long line, which is a great learning tool. I place them on a long leash for the first couple days or week, depending on how quickly they pick up. They stay with me and stay on the line even when I take them outside to relieve themselves. I really like that I see a problem before it happens. I am able to see and reinforce good behavior and correct bad behavior instantly. Good behavior gets a tiny piece of a treat. Bad behavior gets a short quick tug on the line with a one word command. I never raise my voice and always consistent with my commands. I also never go overboard with praise as it seems to over stimulate them. When visitors arrive, I use the long line as a tool during this time too. When someone knocks on the door, find a place that your dog can go lay down. This something that needs to be practiced. After the visitors come in, wait several minutes before allowing your dog to get up and greet your guests. Your guests should already know that they are not to pay any attention your dog if he starts jumping on them or misbehaving. Quick tug and command should be given. If they continue to misbehave, lead them back to their 'place' to lay down. You may have to do this many times, but like little kids, you have to reinforce the learning constantly. Also, if you find that everything the dog is doing is wrong, make sure you give a command that you know he will do right. It helps with his confidence. Too many wrong moves and the dog will make an effort to do anything that pleases you; they give up. As well, those learning moments should be short spurts because they will tire of it and won't listen or learn at all. Hope some of this will help.
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown