Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:03:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Another restaurant booth question!

Started by cthomps, September 12, 2012, 05:40:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

September 17, 2012, 09:17:45 am #30 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:36:29 am by cthomps
Come on Peppy, I work hard.  I have been sewing since I was 3.  3rd generation professional seamstress.  1st generation wanna be upholster, however :D

Job done and delivered.  Here is what I learned.

1.   Gum... seriously?
2.   Measure a whole bunch of times before you cut.  Barely made it with fabric provided.  oops.
3.   You all are really physically fit!  I'm so sore and can hardly move.
4.   My hands hurt and have blisters.  Duct gives good protection.
5.   After the first 3 I could stretch and staple in 15 minutes.  
6.   Spend money and get good tools.  
7.   Fleet Farm Supply has pneumatic staplers for 25. My 16.00 one died. Open till 9:00.  9:05 if you politely knock.
8.   You can drink beer after 5:00 when working on restaurant booths.
9.   I made the most money I have ever made on a project, while creating a job for another!  
10. No worries on  bills this month.
11. Can now afford to buy a better stapler!
12. I really enjoy doing this much better than altering party dresses!
13. I couldn't have done this without all of your help.  Thank you so much!!!!!!

I will let you know when the next project comes.  I will need help!  

As soon as I figure out the photo bucket thing again, I will post a picture:)

tada!  hope this works.
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

sofadoc

So did the owner do his own "wrap job" on the backs?
Yours looks great BTW.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

cthomps

Thank you.  And yes he did.  They had ripples.  Not enough staples, I'm guessing.  I would have never let them leave the shop the way they looked.  I understand that people's standards are different.  I am not sure anyone else would notice.  My novice helper noticed right away however. 

sofadoc

I'll bet the owner would've noticed ripples if they'd been on your work!
It's funny how people can have such high standards......until they have to do it.

Mojo

byhammerandhand

September 17, 2012, 06:16:42 pm #35 Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:17:56 pm by byhammerandhand
Ain't that the truth.

Gosh, I was at a house today.   I had to wait for 10 minutes while the homeowner complained to the contractor/architect about his painters splattering on the woodwork, and several other picky complaints.  When I left she was out on the driveway with the carpet installers who had already installed the MBR and stairway and had just cut a piece for the dining room.   She thought it was the wrong shade of white and was going to get her sample (never mind that whites are very susceptible to metamerism with different light.)  Personally, though, I would classify her wardrobe as "frumpy and dumpy," right down the the support hose.

Quote from: sofadoc on September 17, 2012, 11:37:02 am
I'll bet the owner would've noticed ripples if they'd been on your work!
It's funny how people can have such high standards......until they have to do it.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

cthomps

Wow Keith, your smart.  I love new words.  Had to look it up.

For those of you in my boat;  metamerism.  A spectral power distribution describes the proportion of total light emitted, transmitted, or reflected by a color sample at every visible wavelength; it precisely defines the light from any physical stimulus. However, the human eye contains only three color receptors (cone cells), which means that all colors are reduced to three sensory quantities, called the tristimulus values. Metamerism occurs because each type of cone responds to the cumulative energy from a broad range of wavelengths, so that different combinations of light across all wavelengths can produce an equivalent receptor response and the same tristimulus values or color sensation.

Wiki

I am soooo gonna use this one!

byhammerandhand

Metamerism is just a sesquipedalian word meaning looking different color under different conditions.  Commonly occurs under several different conditions:

• Ambient lighting and light source.  Examples: natural light, incandescent and fluorescent lighting

• Direction of observation.  Examples: Diamond veneered table tops where quandrants look the same from one viewing angle, Walk around and some corners appear dark and the others light, keep walking and they get the same, then dark and light corners switch.

• Different people can see colors differently due to their eye physiology

"Never use a large word when a diminutive one will do?"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

So now when a customer asks me why the nap is upside down on one cushion, I'll just say
"Oh that's just a metamerism.......you silly sesquipedalian!"

cthomps

It is very common in fashion fabrics as well.  I just didn't know there was a word for it.  Love your quote!  Good for a chuckle this morning!