Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:22:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Steamer

Started by RocketmanMH1, April 09, 2012, 06:33:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

This may sound dumb...but what do you use the steamer for?? I have one, but the previous owner never used it while she was here a couple months with me.

kodydog

April 27, 2012, 10:34:35 am #31 Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:26:24 pm by kodydog
Not a dumb question if you have never been shown how to use one.

On some fabrics it works good to eliminate the little puckers you may get while working with it. For example channel on channel back chairs.

Also works good to steam down the zipper on cushions and gives a nice crisp touch steaming the border all around.

Helps to steam skirts so they lay flat.

Some disagree but you can steam used foam to bring new life to it.

Steam old patterns so they lay flat and make it easier to work with.

Steam seams on inside and outside backs to make puckers disappear.

Steam pleats to make them lat flat.

Steam vinyl to make it easier to work with. Being careful not to overdo it. A hair dryer works also.

Also works good to press non-upholstery items like clothes and wigs.  ???

On a lot of fabrics, especially cotton a steamer will take a good job and make it look fantastic. On some fabrics it makes no difference. I've seen some acrylic fabrics that stretch and get ruined with steam (including some Sunbrellas).

Just thought of one more. Steams the creases out of fabrics bought at discounters who put it on a bolt instead of a roll.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Ageorge

Thanks kodydog! Wish I had thought to try it on skirts before and will def. try using it for several of those things! :)

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on April 27, 2012, 10:34:35 am
Some disagree but you can steam used foam to bring new life to it.
Rejuvenating foam is one of my favorite uses for the steamer. But I've always heard that the rejuvenation effect on foam is short lived. If this is true, isn't this the used car dealer's equivalent of sawdusting an engine? Sure, it'll quiet the valves long enough for the poor sap to drive the car off the lot. So if steamed foam goes flat again in a short while, are we doing a disservice?
I used to think that the steamer's benefits were a little overrated, but in the last year or 2, I've come to appreciate it a lot more (mostly for the reasons Kody listed).
I'm interested in hearing opinions regarding the merits of steaming foam.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

The fact that steaming foam is short lived is not a disservice. It helps fill a cushion better and even if it does set back it is still better than starting with a set in edge on the foam. My opinion that is.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

chrisberry12

Definitely the best is Jiffy. I have a J2 and will be selling it shortly for $75. Moving out of state and not taking with me

kodydog

Quote from: chrisberry12 on April 27, 2012, 04:01:03 pm
Definitely the best is Jiffy. I have a J2 and will be selling it shortly for $75. Moving out of state and not taking with me

There you go Rocketman. A good steamer at a good price. Where are you Chris.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html