Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 01:16:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Steamer

Started by RocketmanMH1, April 09, 2012, 06:33:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I think that I would like the self-contained tank on the J-2000 model better. I have the J-2 model with the jug that sits upside down on top. It's always tipping over when I roll the unit around.
But then, I guess the J-2 jug is easier to refill.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Vtool

do a search on craigslist. most owners buy to steam clothes. I found a J4000 on craigslist for 80.00. the owner had used it for steaming clothes. it was practially new.. no calcium or lime buildup. all I had to do was order a upholstery wand kit.

sofadoc

Quote from: Vtool on April 10, 2012, 06:00:57 pm
do a search on craigslist. most owners buy to steam clothes. I found a J4000 on craigslist for 80.00. the owner had used it for steaming clothes. it was practially new.. no calcium or lime buildup. all I had to do was order a upholstery wand kit.
Reading this post reminded me that when I bought out another shop recently, a J-4000 was included. I pulled it out today. It was unopened still "new in the box", but the shipping label said Jan. 2004. It has a wig steam head like this one:
http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp07665-1306.html

My J-2 has this head:

Anyway, I plugged it in and compared it with my J-2 model. Even though it's 200 watts more, it doesn't seem to put out any more steam than the J-2.
With the J-2, you turn it on, and 2 minutes later you have steam. On the J-4000 model, you have a pre-heat setting first (15 minutes) and then switch the dial to steam (another 2 minutes).

So my observation is that the J-2 puts out the same amount of steam for less money than the J-4000.

fingers

I have the tank version but would be quite happy with a jug. Some rubber webbing with some velcro make a nice ''keeper' for that jug.

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on April 11, 2012, 12:39:37 pm
Reading this post reminded me that when I bought out another shop recently, a J-4000 was included. I pulled it out today. It was unopened still "new in the box", but the shipping label said Jan. 2004. It has a wig steam head like this one:

So they had a wig steamer. Don't you find that a bit odd. I didn't even know wigs had to be steamed.  ???
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on April 11, 2012, 06:13:02 pm
So they had a wig steamer. Don't you find that a bit odd. I didn't even know wigs had to be steamed.  ???
The guy's wife was a hairdresser, so the steamer probably got mixed in with the upholstery stuff by mistake. But since it was in an unopened box since '04, I don't think she'll miss it.

I played around with the wig steam head today. It might come in handy for getting into welt seam crevices.

Mojo

I really wish you guys and gals would quit posting threads about tools. Every time you do it costs me money.

My wife needed a steamer for the wedding dress so I ran over to Walmart and bought one of those Shark tank models.

Sorry Andrew but I cannot justify paying $ 200 for a pro model that will get used twice a year. :) I will report back on the Shark once I have used it. I paid $ 48 for it and it came with a stand which is on rollers. I would have bought a pro model if I used one alot but with my business it wont get used much at all. Actually my wife will use it more then I will.

Chris

sofadoc

Chris: I've compared one of those $50 Wally World steamers to the professional Jiffy model. They put out a very similar amount of steam, so I don't blame you since you'll only use one a few times a year.

Mojo

Actually Dennis, I bought this based on your post. I figured if it was good enough for you it would be good enough for me.

of course if it doesn't work worth a damn then I will send you the bill.  ;D I am still stinging from that dang sharpening tool you talked me into buying...... 8)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on April 13, 2012, 07:53:38 am
Actually Dennis, I bought this based on your post. I figured if it was good enough for you it would be good enough for me.
of course if it doesn't work worth a damn then I will send you the bill.  I am still stinging from that dang sharpening tool you talked me into buying
The fact that you're taking buying tips from me indicates that you've been "hittin' the sauce" ;)

DDandJ

Chris I bought one of those Shark steamers also.  The few times I've used it have been fine.  I want a Jiffy but it will have to stay on the wish list a while longer.  I want to get into making window treatments at some point.  Maybe I can justify it then. 

By the way, the Shark steamer is great for removing old wallpaper.  Ha ha.

Mojo

I do not have any wallpaper in this house. How is it for removing wrinkles from my old worn face I wonder ?  :)

I think it will be good for us since it wont get used much. I was thinking of using it on foam. besides foam and cloth fabric, what else has everyone used their steamer for ?

Chris

Vtool

I have used mine to steam my mattress. I helps also with dust mites. my wife has allergy issues. I have also steamed wrinkles out of shirt. that's about it.

Darren Henry

April 15, 2012, 09:22:21 am #28 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:35:31 am by Darren Henry
http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e216/djh_64/?action=view&current=kettle.jpg

I really like the jiffy that the boss has; but when I was on my own this is all I could afford for a steamer. It was actually "modified" to fit the steam box we had at the sign shop for bending wood , but the hose off the shop vac and a flattened piece of boat top tubing stood we well until until I closed up.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

RocketmanMH1

Thanks for all the input guys and gals !!!!!