Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:51:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

obsessive compulsive !? customer delema

Started by lc, February 24, 2012, 06:09:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

You have to believe in yourself, LC.  Simple as that (and as complicated!).

Any time a customer says they "don't want to insult you" or tells you they've gone to another upholsterer to "double check" your work your defense should be raised!  I think most of us have had to deal with someone like that at one time or another.  And if you're new to the game you tend to be more "cowed" by someone of that ilk than you are if you've already had to field something like that. 

My baptism of fire came with a neighbor who wanted some alterations to clothing.  She came over and I marked the alterations (2 pr. of slacks and a skirt, all with elastic waistlines, all hems and pretty simple).  She told me she'd never "liked" the skirt and hoped I could improve its "look"  (I was on "alert").  I marked them the way I always do, from the floor (so when the garments are on the body the hemline will be parallel to the floor and compensate for vagaries of the wearer's skeleton).  And I explained why I was marking them the way I did.  I delivered them and a week later received a call that they were, "wrong".  Alarm bells! (been at this for 30+ yrs. and knew the liklihood of error was minimal, though not impossible).  She wanted me to come to her home to "show me" the error, it was plain to see on the countertop.  I told her she needed to come to my shop and try on the garments for me.  She couldn't do that because she was leaving for a trip... OK, contact me when you get home. 
3 mos. later she called me.  She came to my shop, tried on the garments for me and lo and behold! the hems were just fine.  She'd studied them on ther countertop and doing so made my work look uneven and shoddy.  Why? because her 70 yr. old body was no longer as symmetrical as  it may've been when she was 20!  She didn't understand that the hemlines would not look "even" ON A FLAT SURFACE  although they would be fine on the body in question.  She insisted I rip out the entire hem on the skirt (two side vents) and I refused.  She had a srreaming tantrum and refused my offer of her money back.  -uck her! She clearly had a hidden agenda. 

I'll do whatever is within reason to make a customer happy.  But I will not "stepanfetchit" just because customer thinks I ought to. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on February 26, 2012, 08:52:54 am
Why? because her 70 yr. old body was no longer as symmetrical as  it may've been when she was 20!
One of the most common complaints I hear from the senior crowd is "Something is wrong with this sofa. It sinks so low that I can't get out of it like I used to."

It's hard to tactfully make them understand that it isn't necessarily the SOFA that doesn't work the way it once did.

Back to the term "Obsessive compulsive", it seems that in this age of political correstness, we must put a less offensive spin on everything. Back in the day, we just called 'em A--HOLES. ;D
Just like kids that we diagnose with A.D.D. Today, we pump them full of pills. 20 years ago we called them "hyper-active" and focused on ways to channel their energy.
When I was a kid, they just called them "BRATS" and whipped their butt.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

lc

I am glad I can get the advice of others ., this site has been a big help for me !
I am constantly scrolling over older conversations and have learned so much yet having your own business I sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed with the ins and outs of the business world jargon...

I admit though its the having control and and I love that ! It makes you feel somewhat free., I worked where tempers would fly and it was hard tip toeing around the family quarrels...I do not miss that at all !
Mistakes .,yes I know there will always be some and I have to learn to say no more often ..I admit I have been getting a bit tougher since this one lady . She made me feel so degraded it really has my gaurd up with customers...I felt extremely insulted .
On the other hand after that I was wary until I delivered peices to customers since that happened and the only thing that smartened me up was the fact that 99 % of my customers are happy ..I really had to get that in my head and not let that one lady knock me down.

Mojo

Elsie:

I was right where you were a few short years ago. I had a confidence level that sucked and was fragile. I felt everything I turned out was bad. I beat myself up constantly over my work and if a customer made a single comment about my work it crushed me.

I finally got my confidence level boosted here on this forum. When you have masters telling you your work is good then it matters and can boost your confidence level. This entire group has made the difference in me and my work and without them I probably would have sold out and quit.

Since then I have seen other canvas peoples work and have realized that my work is top notch. It is not because I am a skilled stitcher but rather that I take my time and focus entirely on quality. I accept nothing less but perfection from my work. It has made a difference which is why I am so extremely busy. RV'ers know they can come to me and buy the best materials and get the best work and that I wont cut corners to save a little thread or fabric. They also know if I screw up that I will back my work 110 %.

My entire problem was I didn't believe in myself and thankfully this group helped me reach the point where I now do believe I can do this work well. I still think a monkey could be trained to do the work I do - sewing awnings and slide toppers and solar screens -  ;D,  but I still take great pride in what I do. :) I admire the heck out of people like Mike and Mike802, June, Dennis, Gene, Kody, Bobbin, Russ and many others on here who are true masters and experts in their individual niches of upholstery.

Chin up and believe in yourself and do not let some picky ass'ed customer with mental issues rip up your self esteem and confidence.

Chris

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 26, 2012, 08:15:17 am

A good article on the subject:
http://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-blogs/finishing/498313-practice-doesnt-need-to-make-perfect

Good article hammer. I especially liked this quote,

When it's good enough, quit. This doesn't excuse shoddy work. "Good enough" means "meets the quality standards for this repair" or "conforms to specifications" for that repair.

and this

I don't know of any experienced repairman who has not, at one time or another, started with a small repair, made it look pretty good, and then attempted to make it "perfect," only to ruin what he'd done and make a bigger mess than he started with.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I do a lot of repair for local furniture stores and rental centers.
When a new manager takes over, I have to "break them in".
At first, they expect the whole piece to be better than new.

I have to make them understand that I can only do repairs "within reason".
If I have to go out into the woods, cut a tree down, and start from scratch, it's going to cost more than the piece is worth (WAY more).

I give them the option of fixing EVERYTHING, or just fixing what's broke. When they weigh the cost difference, they opt for "just fix what's broke".

Then we get along fine....until a few months later...when a new manager takes over again.

One manager at a furniture rental center (I won't say which one, but it starts with 2 A's) asked me "Don't you completely re-dowel all the joints?"
I replied "The term "RE-dowel" implies that it was dowelled to begin with".
If I have to chase down each and every squeaky joint, it's gonna cost more than the POS is worth. 

lc

February 26, 2012, 05:55:06 pm #36 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:56:10 pm by lc
Thank you Chris

This now inpires me to stick with this gang to get through the hurdles...it's not like we can go the the competition near by and ask for advice they aren't going to tell you their tricks about how to run a business....I guess thats why it seems at times  we're alone with the struggling ., this site is a great idea .

As for the furniture stores oh my !! Thats a touchy subject ! It's difficult enough to open that furniture up only to go gasp !!
The crap they are making now is shameful.
I repaired a set not long ago and the front edge board was made of pine which had broken where there was a big  knot.  Very few good furniture makers left as far as I can see.

sofadoc

Quote from: lc on February 26, 2012, 05:55:06 pm
I repaired a set not long ago and the front edge board was made of pine which had broken where there was a big  knot.
At least it was pine! It could've been wafer board.

lc

It was the second time on a front edge board that I came across a knot  from a few years ago same company that made them and yes indeed lots of wafer board !