Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 04:41:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The power of prayer

Started by sofadoc, November 30, 2011, 03:04:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I'm certainly not going to question it. But I've been dealing with a difficult customer for the last few weeks that goes too far with it IMO.
I told her to get 14 yards for 2 wing chairs. When I got back to the shop, I measured the roll.....11 yards.
When I called her, she told me that after much prayer, God had assured her that 11 yards would be enough. She then launched into a long prayer in which she asked the Lord to give me the expertise to make the proper cuts.
As she prayed, I carefully watched the roll of fabric to see if it was stretching right before my very eyes....it wasn't.
I told her that it would take a miracle similar to the parting of the Red Sea, or the '69 Mets.
After several prayerful conversations over the phone, I've come to the conclusion that it has nothing to do with faith. It's about her proving me wrong. In her infinite wisdom, she has determined that 11 yards is sufficient, because she was able to take the fabric, and wrap it around one of the chairs several times.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

"Make it work" is the line I've come to detest most in the shop where I work.  I hate it because it's not the customer who provides the goods but my boss who routinely "guesses" at the yardage required to complete the job properly. 

I'm pretty good "squeezin' a dollar 'til it hollers" and maximizing efficiency on a layout but sometimes knowing I'm facing an assault on Everest when I've been equipped for day hike really takes the wind out of my sails.  I hear ya, Sofa.!

kodydog

Yes prayer is a powerful force. Ask and you shall receive. But most religious leaders (of sound mind) will tell you, you must not rely on prayer alone ignoring action. You can ask the Lord for a Mercedes Benz but that doesn't mean you can then sit on your backside and one will miraculously appear in your driveway. 

Also after prayer you must make sound decisions. You can do all the praying you want but if you then, continually, make bad decisions you'll get nowhere.

Its nice to squeeze a 14 yard job out of 13 yards but to try to do it with 11 is over the line. You'll spend 1-1/2 hours trying to make it fit every which way. Trim a little off the back here, make the welts 1-1/4", shave a little off the skirts. Only to find it just ant gonna to work. Then who pays you for all that wasted time.

Maybe you can do the outsides in a different fabric. It may look like hell but that might just be the miracle shes looking for.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SHHR

I certainly don't mean to make a joke out of prayer, but it appears she has. How about this to make a point to her: find the material and buy a few extra yards and get the chairs done properly. When she comes to pick them up tell her you've spent many hours in prayer making what she provided work and the Lord told you to charge double what you quoted and He revealed to you that you would receive what you ask for in payment.
See how far that flies with her!
Kyle

sofadoc

The real problem is that she found an 11 yard roll of fabric (for cheap), and there isn't any more.
I have refused to start the job until we have a contingency plan (such as a contrasting fabric on the outsides). I have no intention of wasting my time by starting a job that I can't finish.
The last job I did for her was 4 years ago. I delivered a sofa to her on a Saturday afternoon. Only after setting it down in her living room, and presenting her with a bill, did she inform me that her religion prevented her from doing business on Saturday (her Sabbath day). I asked her if she was a 7th day Adventist. She replied "No. I'm a Christian".
Every time she flips on a light switch, someone at the power plant is working to serve her. So she IS doing business on her Sabbath day whether she realizes it or not.

gene

November 30, 2011, 07:02:22 pm #5 Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:08:03 pm by gene
Reverend Sofadoc,

Preacheth thee unto that child of God:

My dear sister, from the holy Gospel of Mark, chapter 10, verse 8, as I readeth from the GOD'S WORD Translation, it sayeth:

"And the two will be one. So they are no longer two but one."

Yes me dear sister. It is a MIRACLE! The Lord hath joined the two wing back chairs and made them one. Yes!!! Your eleven yards will work just fine on this one chair, just as the Lord hath saith. He has performed a MIRACLE right in my shop. I will have your one chair finished unto the pleasure of the Lord within 4 weeks.

And reading onward unto the holy Gospel of Mark, chapter 10, verse 9, it sayeth, "What God has joined together, let no one pull apart."

Don't make me holler, don't make me shout! Turn those pockets inside out!!!

amen

PS: If you are offended by my attempt at humor, it's OK. I have a friend who is religious.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Sorry I cannot add anything to this. I am not religious. I am Catholic. :o

;D

Chris

SHHR

Can I get a HALLELUJAH, AAAAAAAMMMEEENN!!!!!!!!!

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on December 01, 2011, 12:00:13 am
Sorry I cannot add anything to this. I am not religious. I am Catholic.

Gee Chris, if you would just say a few Hail Mary's for me, I'd already have enough fabric to do the job. ;)

Mojo

If you think it will help Dennis I will say a Novena and light some candles for you. :)

Chris

bobbin

OK, I have to go find out what exactly a Novena is...  (PTL for Google)

Bobbin (Catholic-lite... Episcopalian, lol)

BigJohn

sofadoc:

Why would you want to get yourself into such a job, cut your losses and bail!

JuneC

Unbelievable  ???  I'm with BigJohn on this one. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Every 3 or 4 days, she'll call me to see how the chairs are coming.
The answer is always the same. "Without more fabric, I can't start the job"
Then she launches into another round of prayer.
Eventually, the Lord will speak to her, and make her realize that I ain't budgin'.

kodydog

Next time she calls tell her you think the Lord never planed for her to use that fabric. That's why he sent her to you. That's why you told her 14 yds. And that's why there was only 11 yds. She missed all the signs. Just like the guy on the roof in the flood.

I think someone posted this once before

A religious man is on top of a roof during a great flood. A man comes by in a boat and says "get in, get in!" The religous man replies, " no I have faith in God, he will grant me a miracle."

Later the water is up to his waist and another boat comes by and the guy tells him to get in again. He responds that he has faith in god and god will give him a miracle. With the water at about chest high, another boat comes to rescue him, but he turns down the offer again cause "God will grant him a miracle."

With the water at chin high, a helicopter throws down a ladder and they tell him to get in, mumbling with the water in his mouth, he again turns down the request for help for the faith of God. He arrives at the gates of heaven with broken faith and says to Peter, I thought God would grand me a miracle and I have been let down." St. Peter chuckles and responds, "I don't know what you're complaining about, we sent you three boats and a helicopter."
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html