Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:33:38 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"All righty then." Jim Carrey

Started by gene, September 03, 2011, 03:08:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

My neighbours sign could read "HIS HOUSE IS UNLOCKED!" (It's true. In fact I don't even have a key to my house.) I could put a sign on my lawn saying "SO IS HIS!" I'd rather have stuff stolen than a broken window. But they wouldn't break into my house cause I don't have what the majority of robbers are looking for...GUNS!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mike8560

Rue Pepys. Friend once named his. Oat absolute with a bots and glasses on the transome to probly kids broke his ca on door to get in only to find a six pack in the fridge

jojo

Man, I wanna be the rootin'est tootin'est upholsterer; I'm getting myself a bazooka.  Other than mandatory m-16 rifle experience in Air Force basic training, I've never touched a gun before or since then.
Peppy, I don't lock my door either, nor do any of my neighbors. The day I have to, I'll move.
Mike, are you saying that a six pack is not worth breakin into a boat for?? :o

sofadoc

Quote from: jojo on September 04, 2011, 01:39:48 pm
Man, I wanna be the rootin'est tootin'est upholsterer; I'm getting myself a bazooka.

Here's one ;)
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Upholstery_Tools/Air_Equipment/Bazooka_Filler/index.html
Peppy, I don't lock my door either, nor do any of my neighbors. The day I have to, I'll move.

Same here. I don't lock my door, nor do I own a gun. But that doesn't mean that I'm against private citizens owning them. The gun is the great equalizer between the strong and the weak. So I fully understand the need for them depending on where you live. But like Peppy, when I need one. I'll move.
I've lost my wallet 3 times in the last 15 years. It contained at least $300 each time. Most recently at a Little League game, my wallet containing over $600 fell out of my back pocket while I was sitting in the bleachers. All 3 times, my wallet was returned to me with all contents intact. Conversely, I have found 3 wallets, all containing $50-$200. I returned them.
Recently, an armored truck driver failed to secure the back door while transporting a bank's deposits. A bag containing $20,000 in $20 bills fell out, busted open, and scattered in the wind on my town's main street.
Dozens of cars stopped to help round up the money. They recovered all but one $20 bill. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

Chris. you have been misinformed. Australia did not get all of it's guns taken away, only automatic and semi automatic firearms were banned. You can own a handgun, but it can only be fired at a firing range/gun club and the gun must be kept under lock at the club, Anyone with a permit is allowed to own a rifle after getting a permit which takes about 30 days, it must be stored in a locked metal anchored container. Seems reasonable to me, when they are locked away it stops the little ones from accidentally shooting themselves and the banning of rapid fire rifles has stopped nutcases buying rifles that can kill multiple people in seconds. It takes the sport out of hunting if you use a machine gun isn't it?
Also, if someone gets shot over here it is big news, yes criminals do get hold of guns, but not as common as in your country as they are not as easily available to the public so they are harder to come by. If you own a gun here you are accountable for it. I have never shot a gun, I'm sure it would be fun having that feeling of power ,but I don't need it.

Quote from: sofadoc on September 04, 2011, 12:15:22 pm
Gene's pic reminded me of a front yard sign in my town. The house is surrounded by barbed wire with a sign that says the property is protected by ex-Marines. The sign says "YOU WILL BE CHALLENGED--YOU WILL BE STOPPED!!
The owner of the house is this guy:
http://www.upi.com/topic/Donald_Lee/
He drives an old Trans Am that's covered bumper to bumper with stickers and decals. The car has a megahorn mounted on top. If you get in his way, he will let you know it.
He married Susan Atkins (Charles Manson's gang) back in the 70's.

Isn't this guy gonna be running for President of your great nation.
Man, I wanna be the rootin'est tootin'est upholsterer; I'm getting myself a bazooka.  Other than mandatory m-16 rifle experience in Air Force basic training, I've never touched a gun before or since then.
Mike, are you saying that a six pack is not worth breakin into a boat for?? :o

I don't need to lock my door either, Last year the head cop in our town went away for a months holiday and left the front door open, only found out when they got home :)

bobbin

Another one who refuses to live in a "lock down".  If someone wants to take my stuff they clearly need it more than I do.  No one in this household owns a gun or has any interest in owning one.  Guns in homes increase the likelihood of gun violence.  This summer there were a couple of high profile shootings in my state... both were cases of domestic violence where the woman was murdered by her spouse.  One was in front of the kids, the other resulted in the kids being murdered, too. 

A gun, a pissed off spouse, add some alcohol and/or drugs and you have a recipe for disaster. 

RocketmanMH1

O. K. here goes this is the point where I open my mouth and insert foot creating major stereotype of myself. As a reply to the first post, The guy is just looking out for the criminal, he doesn't want to shoot the robber he's just giving good advice ;)
   I could write a book on my opinions about gun advocates and anti gun ah,ah, ah, ah..... people. No I don't disrespect anyones op. about gun ownership but I sure as heck don't understand why anyone would be against owning a gun, simply because, where i grew up having a gun was  (is) like putting on your pants, you just did and it was/is what you did when you were a kid. Getting that first bb gun and proving that you were as good as your old man(hitting target) that was like the first right of passage to manhood on a very small scale at that age but a big deal nonetheless. My father was raised without a dad,from the age of 11 and being the oldest boy of 5 kids in a family of sharecroppers his siblings looked to him to put meat on the table. Maybe my dad valued the ability to hunt and handle a gun more than some and instilled that to me? Don't know if I'm sounding weird to some but I still hunt and fish and I can/will survive if the time comes that you can't buy food. With all that said, I look at personal preservation the same as personal protection, I live in a small town( rapidly growing) that everyone knew each other and in the last twenty years you do good to see someone that you know out nowadays. I hate it because there are so many misfits and transplants that just don't value a good sit on the porch glass of sweet tea, they come from a different time and a diff. lifestyle.  Then throw the drug culture in the mix and I get real concerned with safety for my family. I for one support gun ownership and always will, I also believe an unarmed society can very easily become a victim, And an unarmed country can as well become a victim of it's govt. or another govt. for that matter. Sorry to bore you guys but I just couldn't turn away without saying that piece...... Mike

gene

September 05, 2011, 07:52:32 am #22 Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 08:02:11 am by gene
Wow. Awesome comments. It's interesting to read such different perspectives on this topic.

When I posted the picture I just thought it was a funny picture. I didn't intend for it to generate comments, but that's OK. As I said, it is a big issue in our country and around the world.

I believe Texas is the only state where you can use deadly force to protect your property. All other states it is illegal to do so. You can only use deadly force to protect your life.

Here in Ohio, you can use deadly force if there are 3 conditions:
1. Your life must be in danger.
2. You are not able to run away.
3. You did not start the situation or have a part in starting the situation.

One thing that I find absolutely absurd is NEW gun laws. Criminals have guns because they are criminals. That is what they do. Criminals do not obey the laws we currently have and to expect that they will obey new laws is absolutely absurd. NEW gun laws, like most new laws, only control the behavior of law abiding citizens.

Most police officers who work the streets want conceal and carry laws. They want responsible citizens to be armed. It is the administrator/politician police, such as chiefs, who speak out against it.

I saw on a show about Alaska police where one police officer said, "We know that everyone here has a gun. We want them to know that we know they have a gun. And we want them to not make any moves toward their gun."

Columbine, Virginia Tech are 'gun free' zones. Would less people have died if citizens or off duty police officers had their guns with them? There's a lot of controversy about this issue.

I do not own a gun. I do not need one for protection or collection, and I do not have any interest in hunting or target range shooting. I also do not care if others have guns for protection, collection, hunting, or target range shooting.

There is a big police shooting range right beside my shop. Guns are being fired there all the time - sometimes in the middle of the night. I tell people that that is my security system. I also point out that they are practicing killing people. That's a sobering and sad thought!

A friend who is a retired police office said a few years ago a company from the Ukraine made sub machine guns and they were trying to sell them to police agencies. He got to shoot them at this firing range. He said it was 'massive fire power".

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Quote from: gene on September 03, 2011, 03:08:46 pm
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/image004.jpg

I think it's obvious the guy got into an argument about gun control with his neighbor. It's a funny sign but it's sad that neighbors can't get along.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

You know, Kody, I am an avid gardener and am a member of several garden forums.  I'm always stunned by the number of "issues" between neighbors and the number of fences that are erected because of them. 

It's really sad and (to me) speaks to a loss of ability to speak to and with each other cordially and arrive at "common ground" so we're able to get along.  I grew up in a "neighborhood", later we moved to a teeny town in the boonies.  I knew all our neighbors and later most of the people in town.  In all my years on this planet I've always made it my business to meet my neighbors and know their names.  I was welcomed to my present home by guy who lived next door and happened to wander past my living room window (this is a pretty rural area).  None of the other neighbors bothered to come over and introduce themselves!  But I went over to their homes and introduced myself and over the years we've become good friends and trust each other enough that when we need something we aren't afraid to ask.   A friend of mine who was a state trooper once told me that crime in "neighborhoods" generally involves those who are "strangers"... .  I've never forgotten that. 

I was in England visiting my best friend a few weeks ago.  She was surprised at how readily I would speak with complete strangers.  And she was even more surprised when I told her I view the world as full of friends I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting!  If the 2 of went into a diner alone she'd head for a booth.  I'd go right to the counter and sit next to someone.  The charming guy in the post office recognized me the 2nd. time I went in and I had a great train ride into London chatting with a guy whose heavy Yorkshire accent left me asking him to repeat himself... he was a blast and we laughed and laughed at how one language could sound so different.  One less stranger in the world!  :)

scottymc

It is interesting to hear the working persons opinion on this subject, glad to hear your all not living in the United State of paranoia :D. Which one do think will invade first , Mexico or Canada, or are there reds still under your bed!!! :o I'm a bit like you Bobbin , always up for a chat, I live in a tourist/fishing town and walk into town every morning with the dog to get the paper, whenever I see anyone I greet them good morning, most of the tourists just about fall over, some manage smile. You must be a hard core chatter to if you got someone going on a train in England, maybe it's a bit easier out in the country, try it on the tube in London, it could law on the tube not to speak I'm not sure. There is nothing I like more than starting up a conversation in the confines of an elevator, you have limited time in an uncomfortable environment (for most people) to get a smile out of them. I will be more careful when I visit the U.S. from now on, I think I was pretty safe in Hawaii as everyone I accosted in the hotel elevator was usually dressed for the beach and not packing, if ever I visit Texas I will use the stairs. :)     

bobbin

Lol, Scotty.  In New England people have a reputation for being a bit stand-offish, chilly, and very reserved.  But I'm native to the area and I can't say that that perception is anywhere near close to accurate; it's just that the sense of humor is very dry and deadpan.  I walk through life with a ready smile and pleasant comment about something... anything.  Maybe I like your shirt, maybe I'd like to meet your dog... I find that eye contact and a ready smile is the best ice breaker in the world.  I didn't have any trouble in Paris, either!  My halting, broken French didn't seem to matter (and even if it did the odds were I'd never meet the person again, anyway, so I was game to try!). 

My big break through came when a very dear friend from Ecuador pointedly asked me if I thought someone who spoke halting English was "stupid" (she spoke 5 languages).  NO. I assume they are really smart because they know another language and are willing to use it even when it's hard... DUH... that works both ways.  The milk of human kindness is a universal tonic, dispense it readily and receive it in kind!

kodydog

My next door neighbor is one of my best friends. He watches our dogs when we go away and I watches his horses when he go's.

My wife and I do a 3 mile walk every morning rain or shine great way to meet people and we have met almost everyone in our 40 home neighborhood. Great group of people from all walks of life and from all parts of the nation and world.

The neighbor across the street thinks the whole world is against him. Hes divorced and has few friends but when I see him I smile, wave and stop and chat. When ever he starts on one of his triads I say yes but isn't it a beautiful day or doesn't the air smell fresh today. I'm sure he thinks I'm whacked but it makes him stop and think.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

But I bet he never wastes a moment's thought on why he's alone and unhappy.  NOPE! because it's all about what everyone else has done to HIM.

Life is the most honest mirror we'll ever encounter.  You see reflected back to you precisely what you project to the world around you.  That's why I try very hard to smile and be cordial to all those friends I've not yet formally met!

sofadoc

This topic has been interesting. Gun ownership can be a very volatile subject on any discussion board.
Just to re-state, I don't personally feel the need to own a gun, but I respect the rights of those who do.
Quote from: bobbin on September 05, 2011, 02:31:16 pm
I didn't have any trouble in Paris, either!

Everyone warned me about how rude, and downright snooty Parisiens could be. I never got that feeling when I visited there. I think some people only see the world as the world sees them.
BTW, I talked to strangers on the subway in London, Paris, Lucerne, and Frankfort.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban