Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 04:27:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Web desginers

Started by MinUph, December 22, 2014, 06:43:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

So can anyone here recommend a good designer to redo my site? I have done them for years but now I have lost Front Page as no one supports it and I don't have the time or willingness to learn something new. I need a nice site done on the cheap :) Sounds like a customer huh LOL
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Just thinking here but how about a collage student majoring in computers or graphic arts. Couldn't hurt to call the local community collage and check into it.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

If I could help you I would but I haven't kept up with those programs either. Someone here will help when they see your post.
Keep the faith -
SA

sofadoc

I notice that Jack Carr designed the websites for many of the long-time members on the Carr's Corner forum.

You might peruse some of the sites that he designed, and see if his style works for you.

Here's one example:
http://www.kimsupholsteryshop.com/
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Paul:

My site needs a complete revamping. I have spent two years trying to find a web designer that I could afford and have not found one. My son, even with his industry contacts cannot find one that is worth his salt and doesn't charge a fortune.

I got a quote for a new web site from a company in Tampa. They do some real nice high end sites.
Their quote ?  $ 30,000. I about died and actually laughed like hell over the phone to the lady.

Here are some pitfalls you need to watch for:

1.) Be sure the domain is registered in your name
2.) Be sure you know exactly what our getting and how many pages are included.
3.) Be sure they give you a completed web site that YOU own the rights to.
4.) Be sure you have a contract with the agreement that you can change it yourself - OR -
pay someone else to make changes. This is where they get you. They design a website and if you want to make a small change you have to have THEM do it and they charge out the butt for it.
In other words they own the code and they are the only ones who have access to it.

I created my current website using MS Publisher. I then converted it to HTML code and then uploaded it to the net using FileZilla. My son found a guy to re-do my site and he was doing it in Concrete, a new web building program that allows owners to easily make changes and is fairly simple to use. The kid flaked out big time and never did it.

If I locate someone I will let you know Paul. Please do the same.

Chris

MinUph

Will do Chris,

I had good luck for years with Front Page but as I said Go Daddy doesn't support it anymore. I'll keep looking too. I own all the domains I have and I understand the ramifications of all that was mentioned.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

Don't know what the current price is, but Dreamweaver is/was a decent DIY web site development tool.  My daughter bought it maybe 3 years ago for around $250-300 as I recall.  I still do raw HTML/CSS, but I haven't changed my website in a long time so I'm sure it's way outdated (no Flash, etc).  The Computer Science dept a your local Junior College is probably your best bet for a reasonable designer/coder.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

Dreamweaver is the gold standard of web building programs. Most of the big web sites you see from large corporations were built using it.

But there is one issue with Dreamweaver. You have to know HTML code in order to use it effectively. I had a version of Dreamweaver and got so frustrated with it I canned it and went back to Frontpage. I have several buddies try Deamweaver and they all failed as well because like me they didn't know HTML code.

But, DW will put out some of the most awesome web sites you ever see. Chances are that if you hire someone to build your website DW is what they will be using. The pro's all seem to be using it.

Chris