Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 04:59:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Do you have to use springs?

Started by BabyCakes, June 08, 2011, 07:54:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BabyCakes

Hello all!  I have done some minor reupholstering projects in the past with no problem.   I bought four dining chairs that are upholstered on the seat and back.  They need to be redone as the webbing and padding is shot.  It is taking me forever for do even the first one because of the danged springs!!!!!!!  I finally have them sewed to the webbing and my husband and I are tying them now.  My hands are covered in cuts from those danged springs!  My question is, do you HAVE to use springs?  Isn't there an easier way?????  I feel like I've been wrestling alligators and I'm still not done tying them!  Then the twine has broken twice!! 

Thanks!

sofadoc

No, you don't HAVE to. You could web across the top, and put foam over it. Or a piece of plywood with foam over it. But, the hand-tied springs would be keeping with the original intent, and therefore preserve the value of the chairs.
There is an art to hand-tying springs. If you are more interested in just finding the easiest way, you might want to consider one of the methods I mentioned.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BabyCakes

Thank you for your response.  I used to think upholsterers were really expensive but now that I've been wrestling with this one chair (and I have three more to go!) I think you wayyyyyy undercharge!  Hopefully it doesn't take you anywhere near as long as it does me!  My husband wants to keep going with it but the webbing idea sounds good, too. 

Thanks again for taking the time to read my whine and offer suggestions.

MinUph

Babycakes,
  Keep going the springs are much more comfortable and supportive. Be sure to use spring twine. I don't think you are. It won't break!
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BabyCakes

Paul, it's supposed to be but I got it at a fabric store.  There isn't anywhere around here to get upholstery supplies except the fabric store.

MinUph

No Upholstery shops around? We are pretty easy to deal with us Rag Tackers. If there is ask to buy some from them.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Retying springs is one of the more physically challenging jobs of this craft. It helps to have calluses on top of calluses like I'm sure SofaDoc and MinUph have. Does your twine look like the the spring twine on this page.

http://www.perfectproductsonline.com/upholsupplies.html

I agree with the previous responses. Keep the springs and in the end you'll be happy you did. :)
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

BabyCakes

Kody, my twine does not look like the photo on the link you sent.  I can't believe we are going to have to redo the first chair, but I don't think this twine I have is going to work.  imagine what will happen after a few years!  Thanks for all of your advise. 

So, the booklet I have says that you tie the springs up and down, across and on both diagonals, is that correct? 

sofadoc

Quote from: BabyCakes on June 08, 2011, 07:53:18 pm
So, the booklet I have says that you tie the springs up and down, across and on both diagonals, is that correct?

Here is a nice set of instructions on spring tying:
http://www.carrscorner.com/springtying.php
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban