Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 11:47:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Did You Know ?

Started by Mojo, July 16, 2015, 08:38:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Here is something I never knew and learned recently while working on a project with a couple industry experts and manufacturers.

All Polyester thread fibers are now owned by one corporation. This company bought up all other polyester fiber companies. So regardless of what poly thread your using it all comes from the same manufacturer of poly fiber. The only difference is when using certain thread brands they may mix a UV ray inhibitor or binding agent into their process. This we already knew as we have seen this ourselves but the life expectancy of Poly thread has gone downward as well and studies and tests have indicated the average age before degradation of Poly thread has dropped nearly in half.

Here is something else I didn't know but gleaned from another phone conversation. There are only two acrylic fiber manufacturers in the world. Recacril and Sattler use Turkish fibers which are all mixed in house in Spain and Austria. Sunbrella uses a another fiber made by another manufacturer which is mixed in several locations including China.

So, between these three companies and because of mergers and buyouts, these manufacturers are the sole producers of Polyester fibers or acrylic fibers.

Chris

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

brmax

Probably a great time to take a new look at Top Notch poly canvas products, as I understand a big reason poly was so important to the industry was its strength above acrylic types for many a year past now this might make them closer together.  Its an interesting conversation brought up from fabricators in parts of the world talking different textiles for sure.
Thanks for the information

Mojo

The head of Sattler's North American operations came and took me to lunch yesterday.
I have known Steve for a while now and he came in and did a seminar with me at a rally.

I really got an education on the fabric industry. I had no idea there were several other acrylic players in the game. Almost all of them are European based. Sunbrella has a presence in Europe
but is not very well liked by marine and awning fabricators there.

There is so much going on behind the scenes that it is impossible to stay up on. It appears that while we are busy doing our thing as upholsterer's the suppliers behind the scenes are constantly going through  changes.

Chris