Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 03:48:10 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Replacing a Headliner with Side Curtain Airbags?

Started by jojo, July 04, 2011, 07:52:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hey guys,
I need to replace the headliner in my own 2003 VW Jetta. Can I just take off those side pillars? Do I have to disconnect the battery? And is that enough to keep them from deploying? This is kind of scary to me, but I really don't want to outsource something that is otherwise so simple.

SHHR

Unhooking the battery should be enough before unplugging any airbag. Word of caution though... once the bags are unplugged DO NOT re-attatch the battery unless you plug the bags back in first. They won't blow, but will set your air bag light on the dash and will need a re-set tool to shut the light off. Also when the light is on the bags are out of service. European cars are very contrary about this ( I bought a universal airbag reset/scan tool off of e-bay fairly cheap when working on a BMW seat that I accidentally set the code on.

One other thing; for $26 or $27 you can go to Autozone (either the store or online) and buy a subscription to ALLDATADIY.com. with that you get access to Factory service manuals with all repair info and tech on systems for your specific car (like the safety restraint system) . This is info that no Chilton or Haynes manual will give you. I use them quite often on late model vehicles when doing upholstery on items that I may have to unhook something mechanical or electrical that may be questionable when working around. Very cheap insurance when bag replacement can cost thousands of dollars.
Kyle

scarab29

I don't think yopu will have to remove the air bags at all .Under the pillar covers where there are the little "srs " tags there is a torx screw that will release the pillar cover. The air bags are bolted to the pillar sheet metal. If you do unplug them don't turn on the key or you'll set off the light as stated above. Haven't had to do a vw but have done a porsche cayenne and didn't remove any of the side air bags to get the headliner out. vw porsche audi pretty much the same.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

jojo