Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 05:07:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Nearly Committed Murder

Started by Mojo, September 21, 2014, 06:48:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

September 23, 2014, 09:43:15 am #15 Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:44:16 am by SteveA
Cars have risen up in price beyond belief.  Or ever since the Gov helped the car manufacturers.  Seems like a $ 30,000.00 car is now $ 53,000.00 - we can't avoid the cost of doing business - mandatory work vehicle.  

Like Chris said if you can find a cream puff coming off a 2 or 3 year lease - that's Nirvana.

I think there is 20 % in almost every new car and that rises as the price rises.  I've bought new the last few times for a couple of reasons. First - big discount - beat the salesman up.  A new car - no headaches - zero financing and in that note is the tax, and plates and you don't have to touch a penny from savings.  Resale value may be stronger since it's one owner.

Yes the parking lots mistreat your vehicle so in the last 5 years when I have to go into the City I take the train.  The parking garages in NYC are about $ 50.00 and more.  Train is $ 20.00 round trip and no wear + tear on your car.
Got one of those Husky rolling tool bags from Home Depot and I go right through the lobby instead of the service entrance. Tell the door man I'm visiting - hasn't failed yet !
SA

byhammerandhand

I used to work with a woman whose husband was a car salesman.  Worked for several dealerships, then started a used car lot on his own.  He always said there was more profit in used than new.

I bought a car once where I got the "let me talk to the dealer" routine.   While we were waiting, I said to my wife, "If they don't go for this offer, we're leaving."   Sure enough they came back in a couple of minutes with a signed deal.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

chrisberry12

everyone should look on Craig's list, eBay, and your local garage sales or Facebook groups for furniture. You can get some really awesome "Better then New" and have it reupholstered in ANY fabric you want. The time frame to get your piece done will be about the same as ordering a new one. You keep all of us craftsman employed and you have a hardwood frame with coil springs most of the time. There is way too much great furniture be tossed in our landfills. Just this last spring I have a neighbor who could not find someone to take her Victorian Loveseat in excellent shape so she took it to the landfill. I live on and around a couple islands so the trash furniture is not trash at all. You can buy new furniture of the same quality as some of this trash and you can expect to pay 10-15,000 dollars, WHY!!!!!!
Don't forget you can restyle the piece too, no one says you have to keep the same style when you reupholster.

Chris

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on September 23, 2014, 10:17:19 am
I bought a car once where I got the "let me talk to the dealer" routine.   While we were waiting, I said to my wife, "If they don't go for this offer, we're leaving."   Sure enough they came back in a couple of minutes with a signed deal.

We went in to buy a used Caravan at a dealer. After talking to two salesmen we made the deal. We went in to sign the papers with the "accountant." Low and behold he found a mistake. Gonna cost us another $150. We refused. They brought in the manager who pleaded with us to pay the extra. Its now the two of us against the three of them. I asked if we could have a moment to talk alone. When they left I told the wife, I've had enough lets go. As we were getting up they quickly came back in and said OK. 
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

There's a local internet estate auction service here.   It's gotten quite popular so the deals are not what they used to be.   This week, there were a number of modern Stickley pieces on the site.

Sofa went for just over $1K and in usable condition.  https://www.ebth.com/items/1568040-modern-stickley-sofa

Tall chest of drawers* $1850, bed frame $1450

Side tables, $400-600 each

Even if they all needed re-upholstery / refinishing, which I don't think they do, much better quality for the same price as the cheap junk.

Quote from: chrisberry12 on September 23, 2014, 11:02:34 am
everyone should look on Craig's list, eBay, and your local garage sales or Facebook groups for furniture. You can get some really awesome "Better then New" and have it reupholstered in ANY fabric you want. The time frame to get your piece done will be about the same as ordering a new one. You keep all of us craftsman employed and you have a hardwood frame with coil springs most of the time. There is way too much great furniture be tossed in our landfills. Just this last spring I have a neighbor who could not find someone to take her Victorian Loveseat in excellent shape so she took it to the landfill. I live on and around a couple islands so the trash furniture is not trash at all. You can buy new furniture of the same quality as some of this trash and you can expect to pay 10-15,000 dollars, WHY!!!!!!
Don't forget you can restyle the piece too, no one says you have to keep the same style when you reupholster.

Chris
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison