Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 02:23:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Ever Send Something Out That You Weren't Happy With?

Started by jojo, August 10, 2012, 12:07:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

I know I'm sometimes harder on myself than I should be, but I have something leaving the shop today that frankly, if I wasn't on a deadline, I'd take apart and do over again. It's not hideous, but it's not perfect either.
Now I'm thinking if the guy doesn't say anything, it's just because he's being polite. (not a big ticket item).
On the other hand, if I offer right away to re-do it on the off-season, maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot because he thought it was fine.
Drives me nuts. Guess I won't say anything and guiltily take the money.
Anybody ever have these feelings?

sofadoc

I've worried about a lot of jobs that left my shop. Usually due to circumstances beyond my control, some aspect of the job didn't please me.

Ironically, some of my finest work got "nitpicked" to death, while the ones that I fretted over got rave reviews. Just proves my point.....people are stupid ;)

I've told this story before. I once had a $6000 sofa from a high end furniture store in my shop for a very minor repair. A customer walked in, and told me that she was a perfectionist, and would be very hard to please. I asked her to critique the $6000 sofa (without telling her that it was a  factory job). She came up with a long list of imperfections that she deemed "unacceptable".
We both agreed that we probably shouldn't do business together.

One "less than stellar" job isn't going to make or break you. Learn from it and move on.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

JDUpholstery

it is easy for us to see the flaws in our own work because at the time the flaw happened you knew it, but as a whole completed project, the flaw becomes that much more minor...if the customer is happy, then I am happy...

I did a big tarp once, it weighed 40lbs so when I did my top stitch, on occasion I got off track due to the weight of tarp fighting me....when the customer came, I voiced my concerns and offered to let him take it for free if he had a problem....he paid me for it saying " man, it's just a trap"....it bothered the hell outta me, but he could care less as long as the stitches were strong

206RB

These days this happens mostly because the customer wants me to do it "Their Way"!
So I do, and they pay, so ... oh, well!

MinUph

As has been said many times before. We are our own worst critiques. I have been doing this for 30 some years and I consider myself pretty good at it. I can tell you there is something in most jobs that isn't 100% perfect. Nowadays most people don't even know about the quality put into the jobs we do. It amazes me when I see work come in and the customer was happy with it. I still do the best job for them but it is still amazing. :o

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Hammer you da man. I once thought I made a mistake...

I replaced  the swivel mechanism on a rocker. I thought it leaned back too far but the customer loved it. He stated if it leaned any less he would not have been pleased. Go figure.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on August 11, 2012, 04:57:00 pm
I replaced  the swivel mechanism on a rocker. I thought it leaned back too far but the customer loved it.
I've seen several old rockers that had a heavy steel ballast mounted behind the front rail as a counter-balance.

I built a headboard for a lady once. She wanted a queen size round headboard, but she only wanted it to finish 44" high (so it didn't block her window).
She was disappointed because the headboard turned out to be oval instead of round. I couldn't make her understand that if it's 62" wide, and 44" high, it's geometrically impossible to make it perfectly round.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

My quality control expert is my wife. If I have questions about the job I did I have her look it over before it goes out the door. if she approves of it then I know it is fine.

She is a very tough critic and thankfully she will not blow sunshine up my rear end. If there is something that isn't right she will tell me. She pulls no punches. :)

As for myself I have never been happy with my work and probably never will be. But then I do suffer from OCD. Being anal retentive is not a good thing sometimes.

Chris

crammage

Like Chris, my wife is the final inspector.  If she says it's fine then it's good to go out the door.  Told her I'm going to get her stickers so she can put them on the furniture so we know it passed inspection, just like the factory.  Now the question, is she inspector #1 or #2?  What do I put on the stickers? 

Oh, the tough decisions in this business!   :P

MinUph

Quote from: crammage on August 20, 2012, 12:46:16 pm
What do I put on the stickers? 

Oh, the tough decisions in this business!   :P

How about Inspected by THE BOSS
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

mroy559

As has become said often times before. Were our own worst evaluations. I are doing this for 30 some a long time and When i consider myself excellent at the item. I can let you know there is something for most jobs that is not 100% ideal. Nowadays most people don't even be familiar with the quality place into the work we complete. It amazes me when i see work appear in and the customer was pleased with it. I however do the most effective job on their behalf but it is still awesome.

baileyuph

This question (happy with?) was initially pointing to happy with the skills applied, my interpretation.

There have been and will be jobs that the desire to have them look better will never cease.  Some of these situations can be due to craftsmanship or lack of but some of these situations are literally due to working on something mass produced by a different technology and perhaps materials.

Those type of described situations, I wish they looked better, the customer may or may not wish they looked better, but mature understanding of the tehnologies involved, it becomes understandable of why things have turned out the way they did.  No blame directed or accepted.

However, if the results of a project are definitely the fault of the worker and is discrediting, then just redo it, if that is feasible without breaking the bank.  But, if it gets to nit picking, not noticeable or not bad enough to worry about, keep moving forward.  

I suppose if a a craftsman is concerned about reputation, most are, then take the time before starting a job and explain what will look different and explain why, different techology being applied compared to that used in mass production.  That should prepare everyone for the outcome.

Craftsmen today, more so than 60 years ago, are working in a small custom business, where things are done often quite unlike high speed mass production does with the latest equipments and procedures.  

In contrast, years ago, the two methods used in custom and in mass production were more similar, so outcomes were more comparable.  Usually it isn't that way in todays work.  

Hope this is clear.

Doyle