Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 26, 2024, 12:13:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Kick in the nards

Started by Darren Henry, August 21, 2016, 08:13:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

I got used big time last week and don't really know how to react.

I came into work Thursday morning with 3 pieces of furniture to repair for one of our regulars and 4 camper rentals to hook up/sign contracts/walk through etc...[takes about 45 minutes each] plus my list of "when you get a chance" projects. There was a 20 foot boat sitting beside my shop. I went over to the big shop and before I could sit down at the staff table, the boss informs me that he has promised the guy a custom made travel cover by end of day [4:30] Friday. Two of the 5 guys over in the big RV shop are off sick/inured this week and the third didn't bother to show up Friday so every time I turn around I'm getting called over to help there. Ironically the bean counter comes up to me mid morning Friday and asks " you're here right till 4:30 , right?" so he can cut my cheque. I ripped my arse off and finished the boat at 9:30 Friday night. It has a wake board tower and the guy wanted it to have a ratchet strap in the hem and for it to be form fitted as apposed to just  your average baggy travel cover with 2 poles and boat vents.The boss is adamant that the meter stay running for coffee breaks, trips to town to get parts, the 5 minute help with this interruptions etc ... so I wind up with 16 billable hours into this job that the boss somehow figures is an 8-10 hour project . This is where the kick in the nards comes in.

Nine thirty the customer comes to pick up the boat and is blown away with the cover and impressed to no end that I stayed and finished it for him. Then I handed him the bill and all hell broke loose. Turns out that when he was talking to the boss before he brought the boat over and said that the other shop had quoted  $850-900 where we comparable in price? and the boss said oh yeah we'll be right close. Our bill came to $1692 and change. the boss had never mentioned price to me, just that it needed to be done by Friday night and that the guy expected top shelf product. The boss was outside cell service at his cottage and I have no authority to change bills. It's now after 10:15 PM. I volunteered to knock off the 5 hours I stayed late to finish the boat, the boss comes back to get some repair parts and we finally compromise on a price. The customer is PO'd, I feel like a heel and the liquor store and smoke shop are both closed so I settle for paying c-store price for a pack of smokes and head home. No "atta boy", no "boy did I mess up", etc.. from the boss and no mention of any compensation for my extra effort.

Just because every open wound needs some salt---he phones me at home last night as I'm grilling supper. He's been after me to take him to the gun range to sight in his new rifle for a couple of weeks now and just called to let me know he was back home and that he had his cottage all ready for his company on the long weekend. No he didn't come right out and ask---but you know why he mentioned it. I think I'll set him up at the 200 yard while I try the iron sights on my .54 black powder from the 300.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

SteveA

The harder you try to get difficult jobs done and show you care about the company - the reverse isn't always true.  The employment is important but appreciation is as well even if the salary is up there.  Are those iron sights accurate ?
SA

MinUph

Sorry to hear that Darren. It would have made a world of difference if he had just made it known that he appreciated what you did. I'm sure he probably does just doesn't make it known. To bad.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

August 23, 2016, 08:08:47 am #3 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:27:32 am by kodydog
I worked for a place that had a nice set up. A young man did the stripping and cushion stuffing and a lady who was the seamstress. Part of my job was to help keep those two busy. This meant juggling my work load whenever I saw they were running out of work.

On top of that the boss would come into the back room with the latest emergency. This happened daily. We were a good team and worked well together. And I gave them credit whenever we finished a difficult job.

The boss often confided in me and one day he pulled me over and said, I don't give praise to the seamstress because then she asks for more money. I thought he was joking but he wasn't. That encouraged me to praise her even more. She would give me the slightest little smile when I did.  
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Darren Henry

QuoteI don't give praise to the seamstress because then she asks for more money.

I am making the exact same money I did when I crewed on in May/2000. At that time my job was to cut and sew etc... If I needed something I asked for it and when I finished a job I turned in my work order and moved on. Now I have to deal with the customers, order the material,do the job, write the bill , while looking after 9 rental campers and helping train/supervise the new guys over in the RV shop. And I'm the only staff member who doesn't get time and a half for overtime ( if I get paid for it at all).
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I assume you have asked for a raise. One thing I have learned when asking for a raise is take your three biggest attributes and lay them out one buy one.

1. I'm good with the customers
2. I handle all of the emergencies and get my work out in a timely fashion.
3. On top of all of my other duties I have taken over the rental department.

Never use the word "your", as in your company never pays me overtime.

Keep it simple and just leave it at that. If he doesn't get back with you its time to look for better opportunities. Don't give him an ultimatum unless you truly do have a better opportunity.

16 years is a long time to go without a raise. I'm pretty sure the boss doesn't want to loose you.

sofadoc

Seems like we've all worked a job at one time or another where  the boss either treated you well (but the pay sucked), or it paid fairly well (but he made your life a living hell).

And then of course there are the bosses who both treat and pay you poorly.

And we've probably all had a job where we were paid and treated well, but we moved on anyway because no matter how good things are, we're always looking for greener pastures.

It all comes back to the old hypothetical:
Would you rather be happy and not know it?............Or sad and not care?

I choose not to expand my business because I'm afraid that given the nature of this business, I would be one of those bosses who would be unable to reward praise with financial compensation.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Quotewhen I crewed on in May/2000.

Oops, my bad ---that should have read 2010.

brmax

In some parts the discussion it bothers me but I don't really know your rules. I am sharp enough to stand up for right and without self worry.
So as a tech I always ask in the same pattern ways, no matter what it is and this from my basic knowledge.
Ministry rules state you don't determine if you get overtime, they do and its if worked over 44 hours that week by the time ? 4:30 it was calculated by the bean counter.
The managerial task are in a different set with some rules into themselves but cannot jump back and forth whenever it benefits one or other.
This was my first catch in the get along, you said the billing was changed as you decided to give up time to lower payment in making customer happy. I first thought that sucs, besides its the owners job to bill the product and discount it, and it doesnt matter of your time thats out the question.
Sorry pardner you get paid weather you want it or not!
Now this morning I see some managerial task are your "normal task" so this has to be defined and really none of my dam business, Sorry to rant but glad to stand up with ya weather I know all the rules are not.
Floyd

Mojo

I know of RV service centers down here that would kill to have you work for them. Some of these guys are making good money because of the shortage of qualified people.

What a shame your boss continues to kick you in the ass like this. :(

Chris

kodydog

My old boss stopped by yesterday. He has gone through a string of unreliable upholsterers the last two years. And he had to force one of his long time upholsterers to retire. If you have the skills to build furniture from the frame up he would hire you in a heart beat. You could just about ask your own price. Come on down to Florida, opportunities abound.

Darren Henry

QuoteMinistry rules state you don't determine if you get overtime, they do and its if worked over 44 hours that week by the time ? 4:30 it was calculated by the bean counter.

The same rules apply here in Manitoba. On the rare occasion that I do work >44 hours they have no choice but to pay time and a half. More usual is  staying half an hour here or 15 minutes there and having a couple of hours in a two week pay period. That time is at their discretion.

It appears that I will be getting compensated for most of that time after all. I went in Monday morning and advised the boss that I had a funeral to attend on Tuesday and would be leaving before lunch. His only comment was that I had some time coming from Friday anyway. The other day I noticed a notation on my time card that I had 4.5 hours due from after my cheque was issued on the 19th.  I had taken half an hour to run to the bank and I did clock out at 9:30 when I sat down to write the guy's bill to save him a little bit, so it all adds up.

I did have to stay and finish the chair I was repairing before I left for the funeral though. I had enough time to wax my mustache and tie my tie before I sped off but my tie tack and the rest of my bling stayed in my jacket pocket until after the service. It worked out.

Darren Henry

To be fair I should point out that there are a few perks coming my way as well. I can use either shop anytime I want for my own projects or working on my vehicles etc...If I need a hand full of screws or a couple of bolts I just grab them from the bin. I have never paid a dime for storing my boat/utility trailer/motorhome/vehicles and now the new to me camper in all these years. stuff like that.

MinUph

Well well it sounds like you have a pretty good gig going there now that its all explained LOL. Parts, storage, use of the shops, wholly crap. And we all felt sorry for you.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Hang in there Darren, doesn't all sound bad.  Wages in a lot of activities have been slow the last 6 years.  We just have to do more of it to increase the outcome.  That appears like what you do, smart man.

Doyle