Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:07:46 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Numbers - YIKES...

Started by Mojo, January 31, 2014, 06:01:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I knew our sales were up over 50 % as compared to last year but with that also comes a big increase in material costs.

I just got my annual report from MiamiMike ( for our taxes ) and the numbers were staggering. I am not going to reveal all the numbers but I have made it into the top ten list of MiamiMikes sales.

I haven't sat down and crunched the numbers to see how many rolls of fabric I went through but the total yardage was in the thousands. We blew through nearly 6 full rolls of just one color. We also spent $ 2,400 just on thread alone. This report is invaluable as it shows us so much 1.) How much we used in fabric 2.) How much we spent on thread 3.) How much we spent on binding. But it also breaks down and gives us numbers on our most popular fabric colors. This really helps us in making future decisions on what to stock in full roll yardage and what not to. It also gives me ammunition to talk Miami into keeping our most popular colors stocked in Jacksonville. :)

The report is one of the reasons why I enjoy my relationship with MiamiMike and why I find working with Miami beneficial. They not only provide me with fabric expertise throughout the year and help me work through customer problems but their year end report is awesome. That alone saves us a whole lot of time that we would have spent pouring through invoices and crunching numbers.

It was a great year but dang did we spend some cash. I need to find out if I hit MiamiMike's magic number that qualifies me for a free trip to Hawaii. I know he is pushing me to crack the top 5 list. Maybe that will do it. :)

Chris

Miami Mike

Mr Mojo,

Thank you for the kind words and you are getting close. I do like the reports as well.

Mike
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Mike

January 31, 2014, 06:35:57 am #2 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:37:17 am by Mike
Mike  any update to maybe ADL or blue streak for deleveries cheaper then ups?

Miami Mike

I will see what I can do for you. At this time NO. I'll call you in a few.

Mike
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

gene

I've mentioned SCORE often on this forum. They were/are very helpful to me in my business. One thing that they preach a lot is "FIND A NICHE MARKET". As a very small business person (small in business size, not physical stature), you cannot compete with big companies.

I think Chris is a great example of someone who has specialized in a niche market. You can get toppers cheaper from the big guys, but you cannot get Chris's quality and service anywhere else. And because there are people willing to pay for his products (the best of the best), (making sure your niche market has potential customers is the second component in finding a niche market), Chris is experiencing a lot of success.

Thanks Chris for sharing your successes. I find it very encouraging.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

I do not ever want to come off as bragging by posting about my success. I make some of my posts to teach others as well as give them hope. I know we have some people starting out and I hope my stories help them.

I learn a great deal from everyone on this forum. But I try and give back as well. But let me also point out I have my failures and this month was a perfect example. I had to write off over $ 1,000 on warranty claims and tell the customer to go elsewhere. I thought I could do Girard awnings and had a very expensive lesson to learn.......Unless you use their brand of fabric and make them to their exact specifications, they wont work.

I no longer offer awning fabric replacements for Girard. I will do their toppers but not their awnings. The down side ? It cost me alot of money to come to this conclusion. The up side ? Girard awnings represented about 1 % of my overall sales. I rarely ever get orders for them.

I have my mistakes and self created losses. I have days I would whip my ass if I could for doing something dumb that costs us money. But overall I will say I am blessed and happy that some old fart like myself could take a business from start-up to profitable in a year. I did that for other business owners in my prior life so it feels great to do it for myself.

Thanks for the kind words Gene. :)

Chris

Mike

February 04, 2014, 09:11:16 am #6 Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:20:15 am by Mike
Quote from: Mojo on February 03, 2014, 01:44:02 pm

I no longer offer awning fabric replacements for Girard. I will do their toppers but not their awnings. The down side ? It cost me alot of money to come to this conclusion.

Chris
What was the problem Chris was there a issues with the slot and polyrod insert fitting? and if so is think the awning and topper rollrs would be the same, huh

Mojo

The problem is the way they engineer their awnings. 1.)  Their awnings are all designed for Sunbrella which seems to be a little thinner then Sattler. 2.) The major issue is the way they make their awnings. They have a real goofy taper to them to promote the ends from winding up on top of each other. They actually windup similar to a bobbin.The edges rotate back and forth an inch or so.

Let me give you some advice. If anyone ever wants you to make an awning for a Girard tell them to order directly from the factory. They are a royal pain in the ass and it is the only order I ever had that I had to admit defeat on.

I am still PO'ed over it. Not because I lost a huge amount of money but because I had to admit to defeat. Something very hard for me to do......:)

Chris

baileyuph

Mojo,

What is an example of a topper?  I think the awning for windows and or patios is understandable.

I searched for an example of a topper for motor homes, campers, and whatever;  nothing came up on a search.  Girard awnings came up and noted that there are several types for window in the form of simple shades to fairly sophisticated window or door  or patio awnings.

What is the major issue of duplicating the Girard awnings, precision?

Congrats on becoming the next richest guy with a sewing machine!  Good story.

BTW, I get patio umbrellas my way to make a cover for their patio equipment.  The customers like something in a material that will wow the neighbors.  They all try to generate the loudest wow!  I get my little wow at the bank, wink.

Take care.

Doyle

Darren Henry

QuoteWhat is an example of a topper?

Oh, Oh ---I know this one. A topper is the canvas above the slide out ,like in this picture from our website. Not a great picture, you may have to look pretty close but it is there. You can see the roller tube on the outside edge of the slide out fairly easily, just look between there and the awning track where the rubber roof meets the tin.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

Doyle:

It is what Darren said, basically a retractable cover that opens when the slide is deployed.

The purpose of the topper is to repel rain and debri ( small sticks, leafs, etc ) which can be sucked into the slide seals when the slide is retracted. The vast majority of toppers that I make are made with Sattler. Sunbrella, because of its stretch is a horrible fabric to use on toppers. It will collect water, stretch, distort and drives the bus owners nuts.

I could write a book on toppers and window awnings for these coaches. When I first started making them I thought " heck sew a rectangle piece of fabric to the measurements of the old and your good to go ". That was a mistake on my part.

I have spent 3 years delving into everything that is related to these toppers including the entire assembly and its internal parts and mechanisms. I have been able to re-engineer toppers around some of the manufacturers short comings and now produce a nice fitting fabric replacement.

Once I gained all this knowledge I started teaching classes to DIY'ers on how to properly install their toppers as well as how to service the assemblies. I have a very professional powerpoint presentation along with actual assemblies for hands on teaching.

Anyone can make a slide topper but can they make it to overcome all of the shortcomings of the manufacturer ? Can they talk a DIY-er through the install process ? Can they trouble shoot an assembly without seeing it ? This is what separates me from most others and this is the reason why I am so dang busy. This is what drives sales for me.

Now if you ask me how to make a bimini or how to upholster a cigar chair I wouldn't even know where to start. And I do not want to know either. I cannot be everything to everybody.  :)

I talked to Rick today ( a forum member that lives about 7 miles from me ) and he was commenting on my " niche market ". I guess that is exactly what I have is a very small concentrated area of our industry and I am happy with that.

Chris

baileyuph

I noted several different awnings, which in particular do you not like to do?  These patio or window awnings you hate?

Doyle

Mojo

I hate patio awnings simply because of the extra fabric / bulk. Once I expand this shop I can more easily handle them and it wont be an issue.

Chris

baileyuph

QuoteThe problem is the way they engineer their awnings. 1.)  Their awnings are all designed for Sunbrella which seems to be a little thinner then Sattler. 2.) The major issue is the way they make their awnings. They have a real goofy taper to them to promote the ends from winding up on top of each other. They actually windup similar to a bobbin.The edges rotate back and forth an inch or so.

Let me give you some advice. If anyone ever wants you to make an awning for a Girard tell them to order directly from the factory. They are a royal pain in the ass and it is the only order I ever had that I had to admit defeat on.

I am still PO'ed over it. Not because I lost a huge amount of money but because I had to admit to defeat. Something very hard for me to do......

Chris,

I was referring to which Girard awning you failed to be able to make?

Doyle