Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 10:56:24 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Technical Bulletin 117

Started by SteveA, December 02, 2013, 11:01:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

I'm wondering when some good news will surface for tradesmen.  If there isn't already enough stuff to look out for when re-doing a piece of furniture - I'm watching cable the other night and the show was regarding the fire retardant in furniture. 
They say it is air bourn when you disturb the filling ?  Anybody heard of this ?  (TB-117)
Should I up my life insurance now or maybe I'm not insurable any more ?  Lets see - dust, urine, mold, lacquer, paint remover, thinners, solvents, saw dust, and now TB-117 - does anyone know why we're in this business ?

SA

Miami Mike

WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

kodydog

My boss brought this up last week. He says all new foam is fire resistant. Is this right? To prove his point he tried to light a piece of polyurethane. It would not stay lit. The boss also says this is another reason foam is so expensive.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

California, the state that is getting closer and closer to bankruptcy, or at least their debt continues to grow and their income continues to decline,  and who recently gave all state legislators a big pay raise, has the strictest safety regulations in the country.

It is my understanding that manufacturers who make products that will be sold all over the country, including CA, tend to meet CA regulations and be done with it rather than making a special line for CA.

It is also my understanding that polyurethane foam will burn. It's the chemicals that are put in it that make it fire resistant.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

These test.............considered against the practical aspects of it all, such as health, life, and well being of the population gain or improve these considerations how much?  Simply put, is there a measure of progress with these test applied?

Just a general understanding would help put a practical perspecitive into the problem(s) that are trying to be reduced or solved.  Bewildered!
Doyle

sofadoc

I haven't heard anything about TB 117. I lit a match to a scrap piece of my stock foam, and it burned better than a Duraflame log.

My foam prices peaked about 2 years ago, and has decreased a few times since then. But still not back to pre-Katrina prices.

I guess if TB 117 does become mandatory, my foam suppliers will comply, and pass the increase on to me. But something tells me that new furniture manufacturers will find a way to hold the line. Every time WE get a supply increase, factories just seem to put stuff out for even less than before.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Quote from: DB on December 08, 2013, 06:39:59 am
These test.............considered against the practical aspects of it all, such as health, life, and well being of the population gain or improve these considerations how much?  Simply put, is there a measure of progress with these test applied?

Just a general understanding would help put a practical perspecitive into the problem(s) that are trying to be reduced or solved.  Bewildered!
Doyle

I think I know what your talking about. Falling asleep with a burning cigarette. At the risk of sounding insensitive or uncaring don't smokers know better than to do this. Certainly they know the dangers of smoking but continue to do it. Do they not know what could happen when smoking while drowse. Why should we all pay in the way of higher foam prices for the few who didn't heed the advertised warnings. Is this a form of big brother taking care of us?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html