Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 03:22:07 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Gluing vinyl to vinyl

Started by MinUph, August 24, 2013, 05:23:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

What have you guys and gals found that will glue vinyl double welt to itself? We found a hot glue that will do it but it is $1000.00 minimum. Don't need that kind of investment. I have tried a brush on I think it 66 or something that work on one sample but not another sample. I don't like the look of stapling dw on so I need to find a glue that will do the job.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Good question. Like you, I've found that ordinary glue sticks work well on some vinyls, but not others. I recently did a DW job out of recycled leather, and my regular glue sticks worked great. But on more petroleum-based vinyls, you can just pull the DW off with a gentle tug.

Would you post a link to the $1K minimum stuff that you found? I'd like to at least know what it is I'm looking for.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

The 66 vinyl to vinyl stuff has been around a long time and worked on some automotive stuff in the past but it sure disfigured the vinyl.  So, I don't use it anymore, have little need for it on convertible tops and such anyway.

For marine, we use the premade hidem and staple. as you would know.

For furniture, don't know what I would do, except look for something that works for marine or?

Doyle

ajlelectronics

I use high temperature contact adhesive, solvent type.

kodydog

Quote from: ajlelectronics on August 24, 2013, 10:08:25 am
I use high temperature contact adhesive, solvent type.

I think I can safely say we have all had situations like this. I once resorted to Super Glue with good success.

With the contact adhesive, how do apply this product. I'm assuming you buy it in quart cans.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I wouldn't think that contact adhesive would be practical for applying double welt, unless you can feed a narrow line of it through a nozzle.

Besides, with most contact cements, you apply the product to both surfaces, and then put them together. It would be tedious to try to apply adhesive to the back of the DW.

MinUph

TEdious is better than failure :). I have been searching and read about a product from loctite. Comes in a tube. I picked up one to try on Monday. Will keep you all informed. Keep the ideas coming.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

August 24, 2013, 08:07:13 pm #7 Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 08:09:23 pm by gene
This may be the time to go back to using gimp tacks?

I've used hot melt glue before. When it works it works really well. I've also used staples after hot melt glue because the hot melt glue was easy to pull off. Staples were very difficult to keep everything looking smooth and level with vinyl.

I've pulled out those 1/4" wide staples, but I've never used them. I wonder if they would work as well as gimp tacks? It would take a new gun and I wouldn't use it enough to really want to buy one.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Bob T

byhammerandhand

The 1/4" (AKA narrow crown) stapler that I have uses 18 ga wire, the same as my brad nailer vs. the 22 or 23 ga. for upholstery staples.  I think they'd be a lot more conspicuous.   I use NCS for putting 1/4" panels on the back of cabinets, going through multiple layers of leather on the bottom of recliner footrests, assembling boxes, etc.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

The narrow crown staple works great for anchoring double welt at corner turns. The bend in the welt serves to hide the staple perfectly. But on long straight runs, every staple would leave a noticeable "dip". You have to have some form of adhesive for long runs between turns. And like Paul points out, some vinyls just don't adhere well with hot glue sticks.

The stuff that Bob T linked will probably do a great job. But applying it will be tedious. It doesn't tack instantly like hot glue. But like Paul says, "Tedious" might be his only option on this particular job.

Miami Mike

HH 66 was made to glue / weld vinyls together.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

MinUph

Quote from: Miami Mike on August 25, 2013, 10:49:47 am
HH 66 was made to glue / weld vinyls together.

Hi Mike,
  I know it is made to weld but it doesn't bite some vinyls I have tested. Do you have anything that works?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

ajlelectronics

Quote from: sofadoc on August 24, 2013, 04:51:05 pm
I wouldn't think that contact adhesive would be practical for applying double welt, unless you can feed a narrow line of it through a nozzle.

What's wrong with a cheap artist's paintbrush? That's what I use for applying it. Five minutes, whilst you do something else and it can be just pressed together.

MinUph

Contact adhesive doesn't work on this stuff. If peels off like water.
Haven't tried the laundue (sp) mix yet.
  I found a product called vinyl to vinyl adhesive made by permatex and it works fairly well. This product works on one of the two jobs we have going. The other vinyl works better with the 66 stuff. This vinyl to vinyl from permatex doesn't work at all on this other vinyl.
  Which makes me realize there are reasons for this DUH. Some will actually work with hot glue some with one type of adhesive and not others. There must be a way to get this down pat so I don't have to experiment with each type of vinyl.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website