Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:32:19 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

drying wet plywood warping

Started by Judy_Boat, May 14, 2013, 06:51:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy_Boat

Just took the vinyl off some very soggy marine plywood. Some is 5" x 72" x 5/8".
What is the best way to let the board dry out without having it warp much? Being plywood it should not be too bad, but just hoping to avoid problems.

These pieces are used as the back rests off a Formula boat. Not major structural pieces.

scarab29

If they're soaked that bad , i'd replace them. PVC foam board or new ply at least.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

If you are going to re-use them; lay them out flat on the floor and turn them over once or twice a day.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Judy_Boat

Thanks
I stuck them under the sawhorse legs and am turning them.
These boards were wet I believe because they were wrapped in a thin layer of closed cell foam over the regular foam and plywood.
The "classic" no chance for moisture to escape.
I think if I add some ventilation holes and wrap the back in mesh they will be okay for more years.

But I do need to get all the pieces apart and see how it dries out and what needs replacing before proceeding much further. But this is one of those customer collaboration jobs.

Stitches

When wood dries,  it warps to the dry side.  The best thing to do would be to stand it vertically or lay it flat on some dunnage to allow airflow around entire piece. And not in the sun. Concrete always has moisture in it so you need to get the piece a few inches or so up off the concrete with enough dunnage to support the entire piece. If you have a lot of material, you can stack it but each piece needs to have airflow around it. Use some thin pieces of wood like 3/4 x 3/4 to seperate the wood (wood workers call it stickering)

forsailbyowner

I second the pvc foam board. light, impervious to water , easy to work with and cheap. a 4x8x1/2" sheet is around 20 bucks. glues wonderfully with pvc pipe glue.

Stitches

What is this PVC foam board y'all speak of?  Where can I find it?  Do staples hold well in it?

JuneC

$75 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet of 1/2" at Piedmont Plastics.  Holds staples really well.

June

PS.  A heat gun will warm it up nicely for curved seat backs.  Works a treat!
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

forsailbyowner

I wonder if I got charged the right price? Picked up a sheet for last job for just over $20 at the neighborhood Keyston bros.  ???

Stitches

Quote from: forsailbyowner on June 25, 2013, 11:03:17 am
I wonder if I got charged the right price? Picked up a sheet for last job for just over $20 at the neighborhood Keyston bros.  ???

Now that I can handle!

JuneC

Quote from: forsailbyowner on June 25, 2013, 11:03:17 am

I'd buy it all day long if I could get it for that price.   :o

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

QuotePS.  A heat gun will warm it up nicely for curved seat backs.  Works a treat!

I like to use the BBQ [everyone has one of those in the shop,right] so I can heat a larger area evenly.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Stitches

Quote from: Darren Henry on June 26, 2013, 04:31:38 am
QuotePS.  A heat gun will warm it up nicely for curved seat backs.  Works a treat!

I like to use the BBQ [everyone has one of those in the shop,right] so I can heat a larger area evenly.

Mmmm...smoked seat backs sounds good