Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 17, 2024, 11:57:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How on earth.....

Started by jojo, April 03, 2011, 04:19:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

would you get a new cover on this steerage??

I had to rip the old crusty dried cover off, so it didn't come off easily either. But, someone got it on once, so it's possible, and yet it seems impossible.
It's always something.

DBR1957

Invert the cover, start by rolling the dash side down first to just until the bump out. Then start rolling the back side down. It might help to make a template of the dash face for steering post and guage cutouts and mark those on the cover first. And remember, a steamer is your friend.

Now if you want to cheat, I've seen some of these that have a zipper sewn in the dash side sewn up the center until just below the instrument panel. Quite a few cars have that on the backs of front seats as well. Sew the zipper in with an overlay and position so you're looking over the joint from the center of the boat. It becomes much less noticeable that way.

Mike8560

Do you meen the upholstery cover or a canvas cover to keep it dry?
If up holstery is there a plastic dash panel and top piece ? If so it seems straiforwqrd I'd pattern a co er and pull it on from the bottom as long as ts off rhe boat with no wire cables comming out the bottom. 

jojo

The upholstered cover, Mike. It's a plywood structure, one piece. I've already made the cover, and tried to put it on from the bottom, but the seams started to rip in one corner.
I will try DBR's method tomorrow.

Mike8560

Did you lut slipeze on it and applie heat as needed ?
I'd  heat it allot and pull slipeZe  film Let's it slide on

Mike8560

You could so have it cut below  the dash and cover the seam with hydem

Peppy

You could sew it on three corners and leave the fourth open and long. Then staple one side of the corner then use a tack bar to finish the other edge.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

jojo

Thanks Peppy,
I will use this as a last resort. In the meantime I noticed I have some pretty bulky seams where the points are especially. The original cover was sewn with 1/4 inch seam, but I always use a 1/2".
So, do I trim it to 1/4 or topstitch?
The original upholstery was a flannel backed vinyl that seemed to behave better (laid flat) than regular marine vinyl.

jojo

I got it on!! (that's what she said)

Mike8560

Grebo

Mojo

Darren Henry

>:( Actually, if you look closely in the top right corner the last staple is not parallel to the others and almost a 1/4 of an inch lower.  8) other than that IT ROCKS!!

Just messin'  with You. Those can be a bear cat and yours  looks great. Well done.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike8560

i quoted jon with  a helm like that this week he didnt want to go for it having to remove the wiring and then he asked how m uh to recarpet the deck i i told all the bases and the railing and edge cap had to come off. he asked if you could just fudge it and go around it all i said not me try a carpet guy.

BigJohn

I've got one of those to do, and I think the woodworking portion of the job is going to be more work than the sewing! I have no love for that green treated plywood that is often used,it doesn't hold up to expectations.
                                 Big John