Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:48:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bobbin Organizer

Started by Mojo, September 25, 2016, 06:47:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

Just seen this and thought I would post it. Myself we use wooden bobbin racks that we buy at Joann's. We wind 30 or 40 bobbins at once using a bobbin winding machine and then put them on the rack. I put the tail of the thread through one of the holes and call it good. For loose bobbins that are half used we put them in a tray to the right of the machine where the bobbin winder would usually go.

But I guess this would work for some people. Especially those who have the time to make them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzj4gGEgEos&feature=em-subs_digest

Chris

kodydog

Thats pretty slick Chris.

I picked these up at a yard sale. The lady there said she use to make beaded jewelry and used these plastic cases to keep them separated. They work perfect for bobbins.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

C'mon Chris, we've discussed this before. The bobbin winder is next to the pulley on your machine and the most efficient way to wind bobbins is while your sewing, there is no need to buy bobbins by the hundred, me personally I get by with ten.
I don't want to hear about your weekend long bobbin winding parties either, you do see what is happening here don't you? You've expanded your business hired a manager and a machinist, now when the boss comes in(you) to check up on things, to keep you out of their hair  they shuffle you over into a corner by yourself to wind bobbins for them, everybody's happy.

MinUph

Now that is what I call over building something. What a video and what an inventive mind just to think of all that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

September 25, 2016, 01:17:59 pm #4 Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:19:51 pm by gene
When I read the subject heading I thought you were going to talk about the person who brings to the party a metal wash tub and a bag of apples.

I enjoy Cechaflo's videos. He is extremely skilled in leather working for autos. Some of his videos have audio, as this one does, but I don't think he has ever said anything.

Anyway, I wind my bobbins while I sew on the bobbin winder that is next to my pulley. I don't think I own 10 bobbins total for either of my two machines.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Darren Henry

I try to keep 2 black, 2 white, 2 beige, 1 brown etc... and one empty to wind the second one on if it's an off colour that I only have one of and wind accordingly.

When I first started watching the video I was expecting him to slip that length of 3/4" inside the 1" and mount it to the table like a giant Pez dispenser. I thought " great for some one who works in 1-2 colours".

If a person had dozens of bobbins; they could make tubes like that and attach them to an empty thread cone like a poker chip carousel once they made that cutout in the front of each for your thumb to push them up.

Putting 3 deck screws into the top of the boss's table and cutting the heads off took me under a  minute. Just sayin'.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

im like you gene   I don't think I have more then 10 g mobbins for my singer I sew and wind mostly otherwise I wind 5 or 6 and they it to the right of the winder and always hit the floor. chris sent me a bunch for my juki vut there solid no hole

sofadoc

September 25, 2016, 05:51:01 pm #7 Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 06:01:44 am by sofadoc
Quote from: Darren Henry on September 25, 2016, 05:07:28 pm

Putting 3 deck screws into the top of the boss's table and cutting the heads off took me under a  minute. Just sayin'.
I agree. There are dozens of ways to organize your bobbins. And they all work just fine.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

It is difficult winding bobbins with a twin needle. The only setup I have ever seen on a twin is one bobbin winder. So what do you do when you have two bobbins to change and only one is wound ?

It takes me about 1 hour to wind up a bunch of bobbins. I sit in my office, listen to the stereo and wind away. No biggie. I used to sit in front of the TV and watch a movie and wind a months supply worth at one sitting.

Chris 

Rich

Just curious Mojo, have you checked the price of that many pre-wounds and compared it to an hour's income?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on September 27, 2016, 03:49:14 am
Just curious Mojo, have you checked the price of that many pre-wounds and compared it to an hour's income?
Rich
I haven't tried any pre-wound bobbins in several years. But back when I used them, I hated them. Some were wound tighter than others, and some were over-filled to the point that they got stuck in the bobbin case. I think pre-wounds were responsible for nearly every tension problem that I ever had. When I stopped buying them, I stopped having tension problems for good.

But that was a long time ago, and it was possible that my supplier at that time was selling me "seconds". I began noticing that a lot of his products were sub-par. I remember discussing it here on this forum, and the general consensus was that inconsistency of factory pre-wounds was an industry wide problem.

I buy a lot of thread specials, so I have a lot of colors. Which means that I don't always have TWO spools of each color. So I can't wind and sew at the same time.

I spend about 20 minutes a week winding spare bobbins. If I wasn't doing that, I'd probably be doing something equally as unproductive.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Rich:

The last I checked they didn't have pre wound bobbins for Solarfix. That is the only thread we use and only in two different colors.

I do not mind winding bobbins and do it most of the time when I am watching a movie or having some down time. I wind bobbins after hours when I am bored and it makes my TV watching more productive. :)

Chris

Grebo

October 04, 2016, 05:33:24 am #12 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 05:47:25 am by Grebo
Good gracious did any body watch it right though ! I skipped to the end & instantly decided it was far to much hassle.
Must have been an engineer involved lol..

I like this idea, but not got round to doing it yet.
http://www.schlosserdesigns.com/tutorial-tuesday-diy-bobbin-clips/

kodydog

I watched it for quite a while just to see where he was going with this. But yes, I finally skipped to the end.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Quote from: Grebo on October 04, 2016, 05:33:24 am
Good gracious did any body watch it right though ! I skipped to the end & instantly decided it was far to much hassle.
Must have been an engineer involved lol..

I like this idea, but not got round to doing it yet.
http://www.schlosserdesigns.com/tutorial-tuesday-diy-bobbin-clips/

Yes I watched it all. Serious project for a few bobbins.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website