Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 08:08:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

replacing old horse hair stuffing

Started by colleenf2, April 25, 2011, 07:15:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colleenf2

I am working on an old spring couch which has old horse hair for stuffing under the cotton, its dirty and falling apart. 

Any suggestions for replacement materials?

Thanks
Colleen ???

Joys Shop

kodydog

You need to discuss this with the customer (or are you the customer). Some are only interested in keeping the cost of materials and labor down. While others will want it restored back to the original condition. You'll probably need to retie the springs and do some frame work also. If cost is an issue I use polyurethane foam and a layer of cotton or Dacron over it. If your bringing it back to original their are sources for new horse hair, I've heard it's a pain to work with. Other people on this site can help you with this process.
Good luck, Kody   
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

This requirement is often met with a number of items that are in the category of deck padding. 

If authenticity is of importance, as has been suggested, new hair will work.

Other options are synthethic pad materials that work well.  They are similar to felt and work well over burlap and springs. 

There is another product entitled ruberized hair that works but adds a good amount of bulk.  That would be the advantage of the felt like product.  Then, too, high density foam is sometimes used.

If purchasing for this one requirement, a small quantity that is, a deck pad material might be obtained at an upholstery shop, one that does a lot of older furniture.  A shop like that could be a lot of help, otherwise buy your selected deck pad in bulk.

Doyle

MinUph

As mentioned if this is an antique and needs to be restored like original there is no other option. You say the hair is falling apart? Hair does that. Dirty? Yes is isn't like modern day filling. If you pick it (pull it apart) in your hands the dust will fall out and it will become usable. Unless it has really disintegrated. Hair is stitched to the burlap over the springs. If you have good burlap on these springs you will need to lay the hair evenly on top and stitch it through the burlap so it stays in place. Long 4-5" stitches in probably three or four rows across the seat. You can then add cotton to build up the seat further.
  Ask if you need more help on this.
  Welcome to the Upholstery field  :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

ragtacker

If it is real horsehair  and not Spanish moss (which was a less expensive substitute at the time), it can be washed.  Put it in a couple of pillowcases, tie them up, and throw them in the washer with a little baby shampoo  and run through the wash cycle.  I put it in the dryer on low heat with a clean tennis shoe.  (Much like washing down).
Jan

alge

Hello colleen,

The other guys have pretty much covered the options, but if you want to keep the original hair section of the pad intact and re use it, you can do. I find this saves loads of time providing the edges of the original pad are in good enough condition to work with. If not then its either "wash and go" or new hair.

hoover the pad to suck off dust if you wish to, prepare the deck by tightening or replacing the webbing fix your springs in and lash them, strong burlap over the top, stitch the top of the springs to the new burlap and then apply stuffing ties as described above - then add a 1-2" layer of Horse hair or Coir fibre (if you guys get it over in the states) and rest the old pad on top of it, take a loose weave burlap layer and stitch through to the burlap covering the springs (i call these bridle ties not sure what they are called in the states) when the top layer is stable, tuck the edges under the new stuffing and the old pad and tack/staple the burlap to the frame, apply blind and top stitch as per normal.

Here is an example of that process done on some arms and a back (on the back pad the bridle ties are the ones in the centre of the pad) on all three places i used the original pads with Coir stuffed underneath.

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=7998.0

This preserves the original stuffing (and antique value of the stuffings) as well as providing a credible pad that should last decades. over here in the UK. we are currently paying $300 per sack for grade A Horse tail hair or $50 for Coir. As a note I always use tail hair over the stitched pad as a second stuffing as Coir doesn't give the same flex, combined with a layer of cotton wadding to stop it peculating through the cover gives you a stunning finish.

Best wishes

Alex