Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 01:20:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New problem with old customer

Started by sofadoc, September 21, 2013, 06:33:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I have a longtime customer for whom I've probably done a full year's worth of work in the last 20 years. Plus she has sent me tons of other business from her family and friends.

She developed heart problems a few years ago. So she moved 300 miles away to be closer to her doctors and close relatives.

She continues to send me work when she comes to town for a visit. Because her visits are infrequent, her stuff may stay in my shop for 3 or 4 months. I call her when the furniture is ready............she promises to drop a check in the mail............but I guess she has a lot on her mind, because she never gets around to licking a stamp.

When I call to give her a friendly reminder, she acts a little perturbed. I can tell from her tone that our relationship isn't what it once was.

I really don't mind waiting for my money. But on the other hand, it's hard to get enthused about doing up a bunch of furniture when I know that it's just going to sit here for months. And a couple of times, she has shown up unannounced to pick it up, only to find that I hadn't even done it yet.

She has been a wonderful customer over the years. But after all........ business is business.
How would you guys deal with her?

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

September 21, 2013, 07:07:26 am #1 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:11:33 am by Mike
As you know its not my field. But i think. If i had the room to keep itand really did t mind waiting. And she was a good customer who id now older and ill id nicley explain. That i could do it when i get a chance but ill have to do more irvent / promt paying work.
Or i sayi cant afford to to it and have to sit on it so long.

Do you get a deposite sofa?

MinUph

Sofa Good comes with bad. If you have  the space to store her furniture I would continue on as you have but get the work done ASAP in spare times. She has earned your loyalty through the years. Your call but I would if I could.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: Mike on September 21, 2013, 07:07:26 am
Do you get a deposite sofa?
She is one of those "old" customers that would be offended if I asked for a deposit. Like Paul suggests, I always INTEND to get her work done "ASAP in my spare time". But I get busy with more pressing deadlines, and end up putting her work off. Then when I finally DO get it done, it just sits here.

Paul is right. She HAS earned my loyalty. I don't mind waiting to get paid, but I wish there was a tactful way that I could get her to commit to a specific date for pick-up. Then I could schedule her work around the more immediate stuff.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Lo

Maybe you could call one of her kin and ask them about how to approach her? You could explain you are concerned with the furniture getting damaged/dirty/etc. while waiting for her to return ...

The money is one concern while the left sitting around is another ... right?

Mojo

I will speak from a medical standpoint. I wouldn't be to concerned over your relationship.
many people who have suffered heart attacks or strokes will come out the other end with a different personality. I have seen some hardcore type A's come out of a stroke with a soft demeanor. I am one of those. I am not the same person I was in the 90's after suffering a bad stroke in 1999.

It also goes the other way. My Mom had a new valve installed in her heart and there were problems during surgery. She was a different person after that and was a bit more agitated and impatient. Her personality changed. Brain injury from lack of oxygen while she was on the bypass machine ? Probably.

In regards to what to do, old customers not only bring you their business but many times are your biggest cheerleaders behind the scenes bringing you even more business through referrals. I would probably tread lightly.

Chris

Mike

September 22, 2013, 04:46:11 pm #6 Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:56:49 pm by Mike
ive got one guy now like that mojo  who I did 3 jobs for and afterwards hes refered me 3 other jobs with his neighbors and this week I have to go see 2 more.
you absolutely right  im much more layed back, not stressing stuff as much

Rich

Maybe have a completion date in writing so you both know what to expect. She'll be less likely to show up before it's done and you won't have to be so concerned about a finished piece sitting around your shop getting damaged.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!