Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 03:35:47 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Looking for buy my first machine Adler 067-373 opinion welcome

Started by superfly, September 01, 2010, 11:56:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

superfly

Hi there,

I am creating a new topic for it, the old one does not have any succes  :(

So basically I never done any upholstery, I am restoring classic car as a hobby and one of them need full interior (carpet, seat, door panel) I am basically saving this car of the scrap.

So I am thinking about strating upholstery, and I found this machin an alder 067-373.
I think they are very old.

The guy whom is selling it is a mechanic in sewing machin, he said to me that he change the timing belt, and single phase motor, and the hook (I am not sure what it is).

I got that as picture

I would like to go and buy it this weekend.

But I am not 100% confidente it is what I need (I have no experience in the trade).
I am wondering as well if it will be easy to find parts and all because he said to me that the machin is more than 25 years old.

I didn't find any information on internet, maybe a research :-(

so if any of you have a opinion about it, or work with it. I will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks a million
Superfly

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: superfly on September 01, 2010, 11:56:34 pm
Hi there,

I am creating a new topic for it, the old one does not have any succes  :(

The guy whom is selling it is a mechanic in sewing machin, he said to me that he change the timing belt, and single phase motor, and the hook (I am not sure what it is).

Superfly

What do you want to know, specifically?  I remember a two pager on this same machine/subject. 

Machine is a very high quality German made machine, parts should be no problem.  67 class machine could be well over 40 years old.  Everything depends on the mechanic's ability to service and support at this point.  If he is replacing wear items such as hooks and timing belts, I'm sure he is fully capable of answering any of these questions for you. 

I guess what I'm getting at is if you don't trust him with these questions, why are you buying from him?  Don't want to sound harsh about this subject or come off brash, so please don't take it that way.  Just want you to know I am listening and paying attention!

If you do go for this machine, good luck, hope you get a good price, and I really think you will enjoy it.  You could do a lot worse, for sure. 

crammage

I have this same basic machine (mines under the Chandler name but same model).  It is the first machine I bought and it was about twenty years old when I got it.  You can still get parts fairly easily. 

There are a few hints that are helpful, unfortunately I learned them after I had been sewing for awhile.  The main thing it to hold the thread before you start to sew, otherwise you end up with a big ball of thread and a jambed hook.   The other thing is it has a slip clutch so if it jambs you have to reset the drive shaft (right term?) so the little ball shows up in the hole.  Not familiar with the correct terms just know what I have to do to fix them.

Anyway,  I've had a great experience with my machine after 5 years of use.

Clay

superfly

Thanks for your answer lads,
I think I am going to go for it.

About trusting him or not, it is not really my point or where the question come from really.

I have spent 5 min on the phone with him, and it is an old man with a lot of country accent and english is not my native language. So it was not easy to get all the thing that guy was saying to be honest.

So that it is why I am coming to the forum to find some advice. Wish I find so I am happy.

Hopefully it will go well, price wise he wants €300 for it so it is in my budget.

Gregg if you can find the 2 pages on the machine, could you share the link with me? I have not find any but maybe I didn't look properly.
Cheers

I will ask him to give me setup explanation so I can start sewing some old jean and understand how it works.  ;D

Thanks for the help.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Sorry, what two pages?  Also, the price sounds good.  The hook, belt, and other items should cost about that ammount, really!

superfly

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on September 02, 2010, 09:21:28 am
What do you want to know, specifically?  I remember a two pager on this same machine/subject.

No worries, you mention them in your first post.  :)

I am trying to call the seller but no answer, he is a bit far from my place about 3 hours drive so hopefully the machin will be still there on Saturday.

I can't wait to give it a go. I have the seat of my camper van, my usual car and 3 classic waiting for some nice interior :-)

superfly

Waouh!!!
The machine is home , so I went there yesterday afternoon.
I meet a really nice man, full of enthousiam. We spent about 1 hour where he explain to me how to adjust the machin.

He also show me where to oil it, and say that is all it is needed.

He gave me a box on needle for cloth and one for leather, and some spool.

It was really nice and the machin cost me only €300. So I think it is a really great deal.

It is now on me to work on my car seat, and hopefully I won't be to bad at it.

Thanks a lot for you advice.