Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 01:03:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Any body repaired a tennis net ?

Started by Grebo, January 23, 2015, 08:33:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Grebo

I am told that the stitching along the top has rotten away. Haven't seem it yet, I was wondering how thick the netting will be & if it will fit under the foot ?

Suzi

JuneC

No, but I did a patch on a trampoline once. It was the most awful repair I've ever done.   That material was the most slippery I've ever dealt with. It's like silk sheets on steroids.  Take my advice... don't ever agree to repair a trampoline for "normal" compensation.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

I haven't seen a tennis net for quite some time, but I wouldn't think the machine would have a problem with it. Depending on how your sewing tables etc... are laid out, I can see you wrestling a very annoying "barrel of monkey's" * if it decides to tangle up on you, though.

I get asked to work on alot of wild and wonderful things and have learned the hard way to always look for myself before I commit based on their "it just needs a few stitches" descriptions. I'd say have a look at it at least.

* If "barrel of monkey's" wasn't a popular toy over there---fill a coffee can 3/4 full of hog rings, shake vigorously, and try to remove just one hog ring. 
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Darren:

One of my favorite birthday presents as a child was my "barrel of monkeys".  They were each a different color and the object of the game, as I recall, was to pull one monkey at a time out of the barrel.

I haven't seen them in years.  I think today's children are too "mature" for toys like that.  There may be an app or something electronic that I'm not aware of.

Virginia

crammage

I repaired a number of them for our high school a few years ago.  My daughter played on the team so naturally they asked if I could help.

The biggest issue was just the bulk, they get quite heavy and are hard to move around if you don't have a lot of space like me.  The tops and bottoms are easy to sew.  They hard part is if you have holes in the nets themselves.   Easy to get the net string but now how do you attach it and weave it into the flow of the netting?   I used heat sensitive plastic stuff and melted it around the string once I joined the new stuff to the old.  Long tedious process, the things we do for our kids!

Anyway, have fun!
Clay

Darren Henry

Quotethe object of the game, as I recall,
was to hook them one by one to form a long chain.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 25, 2015, 06:50:16 am
Quotethe object of the game, as I recall,
was to hook them one by one to form a long chain.

OK, now I remember that.

Wasn't it also where you had other people also pulling monkeys out and the challenge was to get more than the other people without losing any that you've already "caught"?

Virginia

Grebo

Yes I remember the barrel of monkeys. :-)

Thanks Clay, I believe it's just the top, I will drag it up to the loft then. I have one machine in there & lots of empty floor space.

Suzi

Darren Henry

If you have the space to lay it out entirely flat and then roll it up from the bottom to the top (chain gang the old man---it's best with a couple of sets of hands) , it will be much easier. You've seen Mike's sewing table setup from his post of the new shop,yeah? If you can rig up something similar once you turn their tangled cube of net into a sausage it shouldn't be bad at all. If you don't have a table behind/beside you ---hide the remote and ask His-self to lift it up onto the sewing machine for you as you go.

Grebo

More like hide the ***** phone.

Thanks, going to have a look at the weekend.

Suzi