Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 02:43:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

car door panel inserts - how to ??

Started by edp, June 29, 2011, 08:11:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

edp

June 29, 2011, 08:11:22 pm Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:53:16 am by edp
Hi all, as I poke along on this project I ran into another head scratcher. I've done both the toe kicks & rear seat panels in black vinyl backed with cotton sheeting for a bit of body. I'd like to do the door panels in a two tone of black & gray but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to mate the two pieces together properly. The inset material (gray) I'd like to have subtle radius-ed corners but I'm not visualizing how to really get this accomplished.

here's the rear panel & door...

the pattern, material & raw panel...

backside..

I assume I need to face these together & sew a seam that'll be hidden on the backside - I guess my question is how do I do that & keep the whole thing flat? as you can all see from my question I dont have a lot of experience doing this & am fumbling my way through it all.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks, Evan

PS - I also cant seem to figure out how to get the clickable thumbs posted up or change the image size ???- I was able to do it before but not this time for some reason...... EDIT - now their clickable

seamsperfect

If you round off your corners a bit you can finish it off like my door panel insert kits.  As far as the clickable thumb you will want to set up your menus so you have IMG thumb
Kevin

edp

thats the idea but I wasn't sure how to sew the seam. Is your example 2 pieces sewn together or is the inset a separate panel - looks like one piece. If so how is the sewing actually accomplished? I was planning on cutting the inset out of the main panel & leaving about 3/4 - 1" extra of material on both pieces to sew my seam in but I'm not certain how to sew around the rounded corners & still have the piece lay flat when finished

seamsperfect

June 30, 2011, 08:04:06 am #3 Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:05:47 am by seamsperfect
Quote from: edp on June 30, 2011, 06:59:15 am
thats the idea but I wasn't sure how to sew the seam. Is your example 2 pieces sewn together or is the inset a separate panel - looks like one piece. If so how is the sewing actually accomplished? I was planning on cutting the inset out of the main panel & leaving about 3/4 - 1" extra of material on both pieces to sew my seam in but I'm not certain how to sew around the rounded corners & still have the piece lay flat when finished

I use a 3/8 inch seam and sew them from the backside.    You need to cut  out the center insert  and add your allowance.  Take your large piece ( the main body) and flip it over so  you can trace on the back of it.  Trace your center( make sure it is facing the same direction)section then add your allowance, making sure they are the same on both pieces.  Sew them together,  Then I flip it over and sew a single top stitch or dual around the border.  Another way to do it is to finish it off with a French seam.
Kevin

edp

thanks for the direction, when you sew the allowance to the completed panel on the backside are you including both allowances from the main & insert's or does that make the new stitch stand up too proud ? I know what a french stitch is but I forget the name of the single stitch your referring to - flat felled??

I think I'll try this with scrap first :)