Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 11:53:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mooring cover- Patern vs Blank

Started by timtheboatguy, March 03, 2011, 02:26:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Something you might want to try...  If there are snap studs installed on the boat and you're using any type of plastic pattern material, make yourself a re-usable strip of snap tape.  I put snap caps on several lengths of old double-fold binding every 10 inches or so.  I have several 20' lengths.  Pull your plastic over the snap studs, and snap the binding strip right over the plastic.  The snap caps hold the plastic firmly in place, and leaves a deep impression that requires no marking at all. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

Quote from: fragged8 on March 04, 2011, 09:44:17 am

mike, I like that . its like you would do a dodger seam or a flybridge cover with a curved
spray screen.

same idea most all cockpit cover now have curved widows and want toco er the glass

I like the old days top of the window was good and easy to do.

stitchit

June,

I have actually tried that, and the problem I run into is when applying the strip of caps, they won't go over the plastic unless I "tap" it with a rawhide hammer.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Chris

JuneC

I've never had to use any tool.  I use nickel/brass caps - softer "action" than SS on the snap strips.

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

My patterns are paper and I tape them to the boat, but I 'tap' out all the snaps with the back of my scissors so the paper lays flat on the boat. I'm not sure if plastic would do it too.

I keep a pile of snaps around too, for the same purpose as the snap strip. I cut them out of old tops I'm replacing and just use one at a time.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

June ive always used 7 mil clear shrinkwap and do as you with the snap strip binding tape. i reciently been using the 6 mil opace plstoc called clear ive shown hee from home depot. will the snaps work with it? i belive you said you used that also. ive not tried snaps o it yet.

Highvelocity

Mike,

Do you find a breeze makes it impossible to pattern outside?? 

I have a marine shop nearby that does pattern work in Florida, sends it to NJ and then back down to FL.  Those guys have to be the best pattern makers ever. 

Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

fragged8

have you tried double sided sticky tape in combination with
ouch damnit pins and snap tape and clamps ?

maybe not all at once but you get the idea.

Mike8560

Ed the wind can make it a real pain espicialy on large patterns
I'll  tape my patterns with Shrinkwrap tape to the boat if it's blowing off clamps help also if it's windy. 
If you start early in the morning it's generally not windy but the boat is wet so that's a pia. Also then as the sun come up a d it gets hotter the wind kicks up. The summer is the best ti
e of year. It not veery windy the winter it the windy season here in swfl.

JuneC

Mike, the snap strips work fine with painter's film. 

And yes, I hate March.   It blows like snot for the entire month in these parts.  No point in even trying to get any canvas work done.  I never even realized how windy March was until I started canvas back in '05.  Happy I have mostly upholstery in the queue.

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

March and April have to be my least favorite months. The promise of summer with the reality of winter. Around here that usually adds up to sleet. Wasn't a cloud in the sky today, nice sunny day after 2 days of rain/wet snow/sleet. Of course it was. It's Monday. 

I like that shink wrap tape too. Strong stuff. Ever use 'Gorrila Tape'? Even stronger, but expensive. Worth it for a big and breezy job though.

I'd have to say those sewers in NJ would have to be pretty good too!
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Mike8560

ive herard of gorilla glue but not tape.
ot was a nice day here in swfl my dog she was enjoying the afternoon weather

stitchit

I always go over all areas to be taped w/double sided tape first with electrical tape. I then go over that with the double sided tape on top of it.  I put this around whole perimeter of the snapline as well as the windshield and bow if needed.

Am I crazy? Is there a better way?

Chris

Mike8560

March 08, 2011, 04:23:28 am #28 Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:40:03 am by Mike8560
Stitchit I use blue painter tape  first then the transfer tape the blue dosent leave a residue.

JuneC

I agree with Mike, Stitchit.  Blue painter's tape then double-sided seam tape over that to hold the plastic.  And be careful what you stick to decals/stripes/boat names/etc.  But I only use it where there's not some other method of attachment like snaps. 

Oh, and lesson learned from blue painters tape - it'll turn vinyl blue so don't use it and leave it for more than a few days on any soft goods.  Yes, folks, the color will leach right out of the tape and INTO the vinyl.  There's no removing it.  >:(

June

W. C. Fields