Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 03:32:48 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

right angle binder attachment recommendation

Started by JanChristian, January 22, 2011, 08:38:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fragged8 on February 13, 2011, 03:38:27 pm
a second type of swing away has a single post you screw into the machine bed
and the binder swings around that, the Florida school sells that type i think.
I bet Greg has them too.

I'm guessing if they are both Juki then the hole pattern in the bed will be the same ?
Gregg ?

I sell the same binder as the guy in FL, but he mounts the binder head a a few inches back toward the operator.  I custom mount mine on a machine by machine basis, knowing what model machine customer will install onto.  This ensures the binder is al close as possible to the needle and feeder.

bobbin

Yeah, Gregg, there's nothing like a "visual aid", is there? it's funny how sometimes you can't quite "wrap your brain" around something until you've seen it. 

My experience with binders has been the sort mounted on the slide plate that slides in over the bobbin case on vertical axis machines and then the "full ride" set up (replace feed, presser foot and flush mount the folder into the throat plate area of the machine) for horizontal axis bobbin machines.  I'm not sure that would work with either of my machines as they both have trimmers. 

You've been so patient about explaining all this stuff.  Thanks and I'll be in touch. 

fragged8

same here Gregg, i often skip sites that don't have the pictures ..

that post binder ? what sort of money are we talking coz the guy in FL
wants a fortune. from memory i think it was about $250.

mind you i paid $400 for the 4 1/4 one in the picture

BTW I have found mounting the binder a little back from the needle helps
when going around a radius so you can get a little pull on the outside edge
of the binding,

hdflame

Quote from: fragged8 on February 13, 2011, 03:38:27 pm
theres a few different ways to fit them to the machine Bobbin.

some binders come with different fixing options too, some are
just a plate permanently fixed to the binder with either holes
or a slot, you screw the binder directly to the machine and obviously
the slotted ones give you more adjustment.

the swing away ones still screw to the machine but are hinged
on the fixing plate so you can swing the binder to the side when not using it.

a second type of swing away has a single post you screw into the machine bed
and the binder swings around that, the Florida school sells that type i think.
I bet Greg has them too.

if you want to fix to 2 different machi8nes and the holes on the bed are in different places
you can mount the binder on a metal plate that has enough holes for both machines
or have 2 different plates, 1 for each machines hole pattern.

I'm guessing if they are both Juki then the hole pattern in the bed will be the same ?
Gregg ?

That one looks like it's for thick material...like indoor/outdoor carpeting??  Hard to believe it cost so much!

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

February 14, 2011, 06:55:29 pm #19 Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:57:21 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
     When it comes to quality custom attachments, it's like quality custom anything else; it's going to work with your specific equipment, do what you want, and it's going to last.  Normally it's also going to be USA made, in most cases here.  All this comes; you guessed it, at a price.  It all depends on what you are looking for, and in some cases how you want to go about doing it.  That's what makes it custom, and in some cases, a one of a kind item.  A custom attachment that could costs one person $800 and be worth every penny of it and them some, maybe absolutely worthless to someone who is never going to use it.  Another thing is that the possibilities are endless when it comes to custom attachments.  I have a few books, each the size of a normal telephone book, with endless standard or common attachments previously made up that can be modified or resized, and mounted on various machines.  This is why, in many cases, we need sample materials and also test material for specific jobs.  Not all work out from the beginning, but in the end, we make sure the customer has what they had hoped for.  That's, again, where the custom part fits in with a dash of service for good measure.

bobbin

Rich, while both my primary machines are Jukis and have the same stainless "plug" for attachments to the right of the needle there are other holes that serve as anchor points, as well.  And those holes are not the same from the 9010 to the 1541.  (I suspect the 1541 and your 1508/10 would have the same configuration as they're related machines). 

I don't think the right angle binder I just ordered from Gregg will work with the 9010 without considerable retrofitting.  But I'm good with that since it's most likely the 1541 will be the "go do" machine for that operation. 

I'm excited about this and I'll let you know how it works out.  :)

hdflame

Gregg,

I think that's the case with anything "Custom".  When I make custom items for people, I think I tend to undercharge.  I need to up my prices on a lot of what I do.

Bobbin,

Be sure to give us an update on that 90* binder.  I bought a swing-away 1" binder from Sailrite.  Gregg didn't have the swing-away model except for the custom model.  I just couldn't afford that much right now.  Trying to buy everything I need to get started up is a big investment.  Now that I've started doing custom leather work, I've had to start buying specialized equipment all over again!

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

fragged8

hiya

If you want bobbin you can always drill new holes in your machine bed,
factories sometimes have to do it to get the right mounting positions.
just be sure you're not drilling into an oil reservoir or dropping swarf into
bearings etc.

( not a job to be done by you if you are unsure )

My machine is a 2210-7 Juki and came from a factory, they have even put a
couple of mounting holes in the bobbin cover plate, i'm guessing for a fixed guide .

Rich

stitchit

FYI- Purchased both of mine from Marine Canvas Training in Florida. WOW!!!!! These things are awesome! You can certainly bet they'll last a lifetime. They weren't cheap, (I believe $250.00 per each), but, after buying three seperate ones from my vendor(s), I would have been much better off just biting the bullet, and spending the $ the first time.

Chris

scarab29

Greg has the same swing away as Dawn at mcti. Like I said above it's the shizzy , right?
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

that big binder Bobby is for sunbrella , it takes 4 1/4 " strips and double
folds them down to 1 1/2" for boat top curtains edging around the glass.

stitchit

Dragged,

Do you possibly have a video clip of that facing binder? Sounds like it would be quite helpful

Thank you,

Chris

fragged8

February 17, 2011, 11:25:28 am #27 Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:28:20 am by fragged8
i have a  vid but cant find it, but it does exactly what any other double
fold binder does just bigger.

the binder is commonly used to put the waistbands on Jeans
and pants.

like this

the size of the edging means you can hide a zipper between
two window panels. this one just shows as it a metric zipper
and ever so slightly wider than American zippers

Rich

fragged8

Quote from: fragged8 on February 17, 2011, 11:25:28 am
i have a  vid but cant find it, but it does exactly what any other double