Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 06:45:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Would You Complete a Competitors Unfinished Work?

Started by PDQ, July 29, 2010, 07:24:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PDQ

Hi all, not been Online for a while, It's been very busy here and still is to be honest (my prices must be too low ;) ).

Thanks for all the comments, very interesting reading. :tup:

We decided to do the work, but on our terms, so we'll be throwing their messed up work in the bin and remake. I went to the boat last week and even the work they don't want changing is very poor.

It turns out that they also did some canvas work for them which we weren't even asked to price up. Needless to say that too was a pile of crap but they caught me on a good day and I agreed to rectify the bodge up.

Oh, by the way, I took some photos while I was there. Will post later, muahahahahahahahahaha!

JuneC

Funny... I have never been asked to fix someone's mistakes till this week.  Next week I'll be looking at a bimini that "does't fit right".  I was not asked for a bid originally so I don't have any history with the customer.  He says it's made from Sunbrella Plus...  hmmm  Can't wait to see it.  No idea who produced it originally nor if it can be fixed. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

It seems we all have a story about a competitor who's work is "less than stellar".
But I would like to know how you handle negative feedback about your competition. I've always tried to avoid commenting about another upholsterer. It would be easy, when a customer walks in your door complaining about "the other guy", to jump on the bandwagon. After all, negative stories about your competition can only serve to make YOU look better.
But my town used to have several furniture, and sewing factories. They all closed up within a 3 year span back in the early 90's. Suddenly, there were dozens of laid off workers trying their hand at upholstery. There were so many mediocre upholsterers in town, that it gave the WHOLE business a black eye. I soon learned NOT to bad-mouth any of them, as the average customer simply lumped ME in with the rest of them.
Unless I really get pinned down, I avoid criticizing other upholstery shops, and their quality (or lack of).
Just wondering how some of you guys & gals handle it. Do you really benefit from making sure the word gets out about another guy's shoddy work?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I will not bad mouth my competition. I have never believed in that and to be honest I get pissed off when dealing with someone who is trying to sell me something and they start bad mouthing their competition.
I typically will walk on the deal if that is the case.

Like I told a sales person one day " don't sit there and tell me your competition sucks. Prove it to me by walking the walk and not talking the talk ".

The only comment I will sometimes make is with my face - I either smile or roll my eyes but I wont bad mouth them with words.

Chris

gene

I never talk about my competition unless it is to praise their work.

I would rather spend my time talking about me and the work that I do.

I have always felt that my service and quality speak much louder than my words.

I also think it makes a positive impression on my customers when I do not criticize my competition.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Peppy

Unlike June I've just come off a stretch of finishing other guys headaches. I installed a dodger made by a reputable 'big' fabricator who refuses to travel to my town because we're in it. He has the customer call us. I make sure the customer understands I'm in no way responsible for the fit, and he will have to pay for any trims. He was happy (I would have trimmed it) and has booked a winter cover with us.

I also finished installing an Ameritex-peace-of-crap top for a guy who's dealor got him a boat with the wrong kind of top. We've made him every other top he's had and he hates this one so much we'll probably make him a new one this winter.

I try not to bad mouth the competition (except Ameritex, rejoice! They're bankrupt!) because I will eventualy make the same mistakes they do. I only hear the bad things about the competition from their disgruntled customers, and they only hear the bad things about me. There's a reason they're still in business. I hope they please somebody. There's always room for competition right? When your good.     
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

sofadoc

When asked about my competition, I have two anwers. Either it's "Yes, he's very good", or "I'm really not familiar with his work". I have a great relationship with nearest competitor. We borrow from each other, swap stories, and combine our monies on bulk supply purchases. Occasionally, one of his former customers will find their way into my shop. I try to avoid doing their work. I just don't feel right about stealing one of his customers. I've never told him about any of his unhappy customers, and he's never said anything to me about any of mine. I've even made excuses on his behalf a few times. I also try to never send any "problem" customers his way. We have even warned each other about a few potentially difficult customers.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban