Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:12:46 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Empty Phone Calls.

Started by kodydog, November 05, 2014, 06:56:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on November 09, 2014, 09:03:39 am
OK. Now, if it is true that unsolicited inquiries continue to occur because there are folks out there who actually respond to these kind of things, who are the !@#$ who respond to this:

QuotePlease your urgent
Attention is needed, we wish to inform you that our Diplomatic agent conveying
your consignment box valued the sum of $9.5 Million United States Dollars
misplaced your address, we required you Reconfirm the following information’s
below so that She can deliver your Consignment box to you today and return
immediately,

I got this in an email today.

Who in the H, E,  Double Hockey Sticks, would think that someone carrying my $9.5 Million US dollars would actually misplace my address?
The only reason that more people don't fall for those scams, is that when they go to their bank to withdraw or transfer funds, the bank employees warn them that they are about to be fleeced.

My wife is a personal banker at a local bank. She sees this 2-3 times a week. She is usually able to talk them out of it, but not always. The next time they come in, she'll ask them how it turned out. They're usually too ashamed to admit that they were taken.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

On a similar note.  Several years ago, the scam was to call older people and tell them that either their grandchild had been involved in an accident and subsequently arrested or that they were being held in a foreign country.  Similar kind of deal in that they were to wire money to a certain account and then account holder would "insure that your grandchild will come home".  My in-laws actually got one of these calls.  What the caller didn't realize was that my nephew and his mother lived with my in-laws.  Mom got the call, went into the living room and her grandchild and husband were watching a football game together.  Our local paper did a story about these people, based on my in-laws and another older couple's experience. 

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

Got a different call today.  Before 8 AM and I was looking for a missing sales ticket so I was irritated from the get go.  It was a 769 area code I believe.  Anyway, I answered and got that click that tells you that you are being transferred.  I said hello again and finally a very strong India accented woman responded back hello.  She asked if I was the owner of a Windows computer.  I asked who this was and she replied Windows Help Desk.  I said that I had not started a trouble ticket what did she want.  She said that "they could tell that I had downloaded some viruses and they must be removed immediately."  I started laughing, told her that this call was total bull**** and hung up.

I'm sure that for a nominal fee, "she" would have been willing to clean up my computer for me.

Virginia

Darren Henry

Quote"she" would have been willing to clean up my computer for me.

More like "clean out" your computer for you, and sell all the info. contacts histories etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 12, 2014, 03:34:39 pm
More like "clean out" your computer for you, and sell all the info. contacts histories etc...

I wasn't sure if was going to be that or giving them my bank information so that they could "deduct the charge for fixing my viruses directly from my account".  In either case, this call was bad news if I had let it continue.

I also was very careful in how I worded what I said.  I wanted to make sure that I never said "yes" "ok" "no problem" or anything that they could use the recording to manipulate what I said into agreeing to whatever vile little scheme they have going on.

Bob said that if I get another Windows call I should just tell them that our house only has Apple computers and that we never get viruses.  LOL

Virginia

Virgs Sew n Sew

This one came on my cell phone this afternoon.

Joe Schmoe from the Department of Health & Human Services (yes it did come from a 202 area code).  "Because you are such a good citizen and do not have a criminal record, HHS is rewarding you with a grant for $6,700.00.  You must only promise not to use it on anything illegal."  At this point, I am laughing out loud.  Seriously?????

Dude continued his spiel for almost 4 minutes.   Check would be mailed to my address but here is a number along with your grant number that you must call to activate your grant.  I repeated both numbers out loud but did not write them down as I knew this was bs.  Told Bob what the call was about (he was outside supervising Jimmy's after lunch yard behavior).  So, after our afternoon coffee and Cougar Town rerun, Bob googled it.  Yes, most definitely a scam.  When you call back to "activate" your grant, they explain that they need $100.00 ASAP to start processing.  Also, even though you are to receive a check they need your bank account number.  The site said that as of yet no one's accounts have been drained but that would seem to be the point of the scam.  Plus they get $100.00 in check from every fool that believes in this.

Always takes me back to my favorite adage:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Virginia

Darren Henry

QuoteIf it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

We pronounce it " isn't ".  :D
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

I have gotten a call from the same guy 3 times in the last two weeks. He's selling spray glue which is a product I use and so I act half way interested.

Every time he calls he acts like its the first time. He has a distinct voice so I know its him and he always starts out by asking if I use spray glue in my business even though he knows I do from the previous calls.

He starts out at $7.59 per 16 0z can and by the time were through he is down to $5.95 with free shipping. No breaks for a 12 can box. He says he will send me a case and I should try one can and if I like it he will bill me. If I don't like it I can send it back. Sounds like a pretty good deal but like Virginia stated in a previous post, I don't like to buy things over the phone.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on November 13, 2014, 07:17:33 pm
He starts out at $7.59 per 16 0z can and by the time were through he is down to $5.95 with free shipping. No breaks for a 12 can box. He says he will send me a case and I should try one can and if I like it he will bill me. If I don't like it I can send it back. Sounds like a pretty good deal but like Virginia stated in a previous post, I don't like to buy things over the phone.
Aerosol cans have an expiration date. If you don't use them fast enough, the propellant goes flat.

The guy on the phone is probably trying to get rid of some old stock.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

The good thing is he doesn't have my address. He has an old PO box we don't use any more. He kept asking me for my current address. He was just dieing to send me a case. I'll just bet it's like those ads you see on the internet, its free, free, free. And then in the end they want your credit card number.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

November 14, 2014, 06:10:06 am #40 Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:14:59 am by gene
I have NEVER responded to a telephone solicitation, so I have never had to worry about issues like "What is it that I will be getting." If I want something, I'll make the phone call.
---------------------
I use a Purchase Order number when I order anything for my business. I got a phone call a few years ago and a guy told me that I hadn't paid my bill. My first question WAS NOT "What are you talking about?" My first question was "What is my Purchase Order number?" Click. He was gone.
----------------------
I have NEVER responded to anyone coming to my door (work or home) trying to sell or even "give me information".

I had 2 folks from a local church knock on my (home) door a few months ago. I told them politely that I was not interested. They ignored what I said and persisted with their spiel.

I then told them that I had no interest in what they were selling. They both looked shocked and said "We're not selling anything!"

I then stepped outside on the porch, in their face, and said in a very friendly manner, "If we can't even agree why it is you are standing on my porch bothering me, we certainly are not going to agree on anything else." I offered my hand and said I was going to enjoy the rest of the day, I hope they would also. They shook my hand and left.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

gene

KodyD - you may still get that case of spray glue. "Hey, I have it right here in my notes from when we talked on the phone. You told me to go ahead and send you one case so you could try it."

What's that Purchase Order Number I gave you?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 13, 2014, 02:50:58 pm

We pronounce it " isn't ".  :D

Ah, I left out my [sic]

As in:

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is [sic] too good to be true.

That's how my mother always said it.

Virginia

scarab29

I tell all these tele marketers they need to speak to Bob but he's out fishing. Actually there is no bob here ! Usually they call back asking for Bob. They get a " he's on the other line , hold just a minute ' .Sometimes they even call back again . If I was really working hard on something demanding all my concentration and get interrupted I will blow my cork and repeat the scene from the 40 year old virgin .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=218Cvw1XbLI
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

I can't find it right now, but my favorite is the guy who pretended to be a peace officer attending a murder crime scene and starts interrogating the telemarketer. "how do you know --Bill ?", Why are you calling Bill?, You did know that Bill was a flaming homosexual didn't you? Are you a jealous lover of his? What is your name address etc... we may to have you brought in for questioning. It's about a four minute pee your pants routine.