Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 05:09:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Empty Phone Calls.

Started by kodydog, November 05, 2014, 06:56:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

November 05, 2014, 06:56:53 am Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:06:07 am by kodydog
Do you all get phone call and when you answer nobody is there. I get about 3 a day and find them very annoying.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Yes, they are just validating that yours is a "human" number.  I think it will then be sold for robo calls as I understand it.

If it is an "unknown" number, incomplete data, out of state, or I don't know the local number (after hours), I generally don't answer and let it go to voice mail.  That seems to help keep the robo calls down to a minimum.

Virginia

sofadoc

Those auto-dialers machines call you first, then if you answer, they route your call to a telemarketer who may be in another state, or even another country.

Sometimes, they can't get your connection routed in time, so they just drop the call. But don't worry, they'll call back.

I hate the one that says "Hello........this is Google.........to claim your Google listing, press 1".
They're going to try to get you to pay for a listing that already turns up on a Google search anyway.
They aren't affiliated with Google.

I never say anything to them (other than the words "NO! NO! NO!"), because they record your voice and turn it into a verbal contract. Then some sleazy lawyer starts harassing you.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

November 05, 2014, 09:30:57 am #3 Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:32:33 am by byhammerandhand
The company I used to work for acquired software for "predictive dialers."    Most of our clients at that time were businesses trying to reach you for one reason or the other (e.g., need more information on an insurance claim, confirm an order, etc.), not telemarketers.

The way it worked was this:
- it kept track of average time an agent was on a call, percent of calls actually answered, average number of rings -- all current data (might be different at 9 am than at 4 pm)
- the goal was to have an agent free to switch the call to, bring up your account record on their screen by the time you said, "O" in "Hello?"
- it could also tell if there was a busy signal or your call went to voice-mail or an answering machine
- if there was no agent available due to not everything meshing with predictive behaviors, it would dump the call and call again later.   That's why you could get some calls and no one was there.

Not saying this is the only scenario, just the way ours worked.  I often get calls that leave a message that's part way into their recorded message, "...removed from our call list, press 7."  Of course by that time,  I'm not on the line with them, their message is only on my answering machine.   They obviously have inferior software.

I've also heard some call agents are not supposed to let you go until you've said NO three time.   So "Take me off your call list; I'm not interested.  I'm not interested.   I'm not interested."
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Dede

Yeah, the Do Not Call list is working swell...
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

It's my understanding that the "Do not call" list is for residential only. Commercial lines are "open season".

Many of those recorded calls offer an option (at the end of the message, when they know that you've probably already hung up) to be removed from their call list. I've selected that option a million times. It does absolutely no good.

I've even told actual live humans to remove me from their call list. They say they will. then they hang up and throw your number right back into the hopper.

If they removed everybody that wanted to be removed, they wouldn't have anyone to call.

Darren Henry

Quotethe Do Not Call list is working swell...

Mine seams to be working great. My phone is connected via a Majic Jack to a Winnipeg number and I never get a robo call or telemarketer. I do get the odd robo-call from West Jet on the company cell phone though.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: Darren Henry on November 06, 2014, 04:48:32 am
Mine seams to be working great. My phone is connected via a Majic Jack to a Winnipeg number and I never get a robo call or telemarketer. 

Are robo calls and/or telemarketers as prevalent in Canada as in the US?

I once worked with a woman who had two strategies when  telemarketers called (before the days of caller id).  Her first was to try and get the caller's home phone number.  She would tell them she was really busy now and would love to chat with them later.  Would they mind giving her their home phone number so that she could call them when it was convenient for her.  LOLOL  If I remember correctly, one was actually stupid enough to do that.  My friend called the person at like 1 AM and started the call by saying "Now do you understand how it feels?"   : )  Her second was to just talk with them about everything under the sun until they figured out what she was doing.  As she explained to me, they had already interrupted her show, book, conversation with her husband, whatever so she might as well distract the caller and keep them from doing it to someone else.  She said that a couple of times, she kept them talking for 30 minutes or more.  Again, don't think that would work today as my understanding is that you are being timed to see how brief you can be while still getting a sale.  A 30+ minute phone call with no sale is not going to keep you in their employment for too long.

My standard response used to be that I make it a point to NEVER EVER buy a product sold over the phone, even if it is something that sounds fabulous or if it something that I was actually shopping for, simply because you interrupted my evening.  I'm sure that the caller didn't give a hair rat's behind that they interrupted my evening though.

Virginia

sofadoc

I once volleyed the same point back and forth with a telemarketer.

HER: This coverage takes care of things that your warranty doesn't cover.
ME: Oh yeah? Like what?
Her: Well, like belts and hoses.
Me: Oh well, you see I'm pretty handy with a wrench. So I take care of things like that myself.
Her (smugly): Well sir, this coverage takes care of things that you can't do.
Me: Oh yeah, Like what?
Her: Like major engine and transmission work.
Me: Oh well, you see it's a brand new truck with a 7 year warranty.
Her (even more smugly): Well sir, this takes care of things that the warranty doesn't cover.
Me: Oh yeah? Like what?
Her: Well, like belts and hoses.............

We repeated that same dialog back and forth for several rounds. I was determined to outlast her.
Eventually, she cussed at me and hung up.

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on November 06, 2014, 06:59:26 am
Eventually, she cussed at me and hung up.

Years ago, when telemarketers first started being intrusive, one guy called while we were eating supper.  Before caller id and Bob's dad was having health issues and we were waiting to hear the results of his dr visit so I stopped eating to answer the phone.  As soon as the guy identified himself and what he was selling, I went off on him (no profanity) about calling at supper time and hung up on him.   He called back no less than a dozen times that evening and several the next night, every time stringing together profanity like I'd never heard it strung together before.  Being a veteran, that is saying a lot.  The last time he called, I listened to his barrage and when he stopped for a breath, I asked him exactly how stupid was he to think that I would even consider buying his product after being cursed at in such a manner.  Then I told him very sweetly that if he or any one else from his company ever called our number again, I was going to report him to the feds (forget who it was I told him I would call).  He slammed down the phone and that company never called again.   

We've had that happen more than once over the years, not to the extent of those bozos as far as the profanity, but when you tell them you are not interested and end the call, they call you again and again.  Again, I don't understand that mind set that someone would buy a product just to get them to quit harassing you.  Crazy but I know that it part of the sales tactics sometimes.

Virginia

kodydog

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on November 06, 2014, 06:13:07 am
My standard response used to be that I make it a point to NEVER EVER buy a product sold over the phone, even if it is something that sounds fabulous or if it something that I was actually shopping for, simply because you interrupted my evening.  I'm sure that the caller didn't give a hair rat's behind that they interrupted my evening though.
Virginia

I'm with you about never buying a product over the phone or giving my address. Or making a donation.

I also love the ones who, after they find out there not getting anywhere just hang up. Click. Hello! Is anybody there.

Or the ones who call and ask to speak to the owner. Excuse me do you even know who your calling? I always tell them shes not here. When they ask for her name I tell them Gertrude.

Once in a while I'll mess with them, while there giving their robotic drone like spiel I'll repeatedly ask if they need any upholstery work done. When they finally realize what I'm saying there will be a pause followed by a click.

But mostly I just say, I'm not interested and hang up.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Virgs Sew n Sew

Buying products over the phone.  Yup learned my lesson recently.

I had a gal call and they sell promotional products.  She was real assertive (pushy).  Her offer was for the little buoy thingies that float and have your business info printed on them.  A little pricey but I thought they would be nice to give to my boat customers so I bought 100.  They seem to be good quality and my boat customers absolutely love them as they can put papers in them and they won't get wet.

But, there always has to be a but.  She started calling almost every other week.  Memorial Day phone call made me feel like I was unpatriotic if I didn't buy this crap that was supposed to make people feel that buying stuff was their patriotic duty.  I held firm and told her I had a small advertising budget and the buoys still had me over my budget. 

No problem she said and 2-3 weeks later she called again.  I wrote down her number and just started ignoring it.  One day she called 3 times in one day.  Finally I answered it and reiterated what I had told her earlier.  No problem she said.

3 weeks later, here we go again.  I started answering the phone and immediately hanging up without ever talking.  She kept calling.  Finally Bob got into the act.  She called and asked if I was there.  Bob very gruffly said "NO" and hung up.  That kept her at bay for a while.  Next time she called, Bob answered and in the same voice said "NEVER HEARD OF HER" and again hung up.  So, she had a co-worker with a different phone number call.  I answered not recognizing it.  So, we had a long chat.  I told her the other woman was incredibly pushy and that I wanted my account flagged as "No call" and that when I am about to run out of the buoys, if I decide I want more, I will call to order.  I stressed that under NO circumstances are they ever to call me.  She said no problem and we hung up.

Yesterday, they called.  It's been months and I had forgotten her number.  She asked if I remembered her.  It really torqued me off and I very gruffly told her that I did remember her, I didn't like her sales tactics and that I had asked her co-worker to flag me as a no call and that I had told the other woman that I would call if and when I needed stuff.  So she starts in her spiel about she has to call me because how else will I know when things are on sale.  I started yelling "NO NO NO!  I don't want you to call.  I cannot think of any reason under the sun that would make me even consider buying from your organization ever again!  Now take me off your calling list and do NOT EVER call this number again!" and hung up. 

Just really torqued me off that she called and was so darn pushy about her products.  Also took me a while to get my groove back and lose my grumpy attitude about having to yell at some one.  I know how to yell but really would prefer not to.  Wonder how long until they call again.  I wrote her number down and Bob says he has a surprise for this woman when she calls.  I'm almost afraid to think what he is going to say to her.  ; )

Virginia

Dede

Virginia's post reminded me of another tactic I encountered.  A man called and began the conversation with a cheery voice like we were ol' buddies, something like "It's your friendly pen guy again!  Ready to place that order now?"  He was good, he absolutely had me wondering if I had agreed to buy something, but I turned him down politely.  The next time I was on to him.  A different man called the next time, with the same exact greeting, but he lacked the same cheery confidence -- he sounded a little defeated and hollow.

A woman from my WCAA group actually bought some personalized pens from them, after thinking she had already committed to buying them (she's smart with an excellent head for business -- like I said, the guy was good).  Nice pens, but still.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

sofadoc

Yeah, some of those guys are good. They'll suck you in for a moment.

I had one that called claiming to be doing an opinion poll on various world topics. He asked me a ton of questions about everything from the financial crisis to the turmoil in the middle east. This went on for nearly 5 minutes. Then his last question was something like "Would you agree that affordable health care is one of the biggest problems facing America right now?" When I said "Yes", he immediately connected me with another operator to schedule a visit from an insurance salesman.

I have the least tolerance for the pen guys. If I wanted some personalized pens, I'd go online and order some.

Has anyone ever said "Oh wait.......I know a good upholsterer.........I have his pen right here!"

Virgs Sew n Sew

Quote from: sofadoc on November 06, 2014, 12:39:02 pm

Has anyone ever said "Oh wait.......I know a good upholsterer.........I have his pen right here!"

Not that I'm aware of, but I've had enough people call saying they were given my card from .... that I keep on buying my business cards.  The other stuff is just a racket that keeps someone else in business.  I'll not be dumb enough to fall for it next time.  Like I said, the buoys are cute but too pricey for what they are.

Virginia