Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 02:10:10 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Need Yellow boat cover fabric

Started by timtheboatguy, February 27, 2013, 02:36:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

Wow. I havent been on here in a while and I just read this thread. Just got an education on 2 products. I will be looking into them myself. Thanks for the education on Recacril and sattler. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

JuneC

I've only made one boat cover from Recacril (my own boat) and I wasn't impressed, but that's not to say it's worse than Sunbrella.  For sure, it ravels much worse than Sunbrella.   You really need to cut it with a hot knife or bind the seams immediately.  Any handling leaves loose threads everywhere.  It didn't retain it's water repellancy for long, but I'm not sure it's not from environmental chemicals - it was in a boat yard.  Sunbrella might have been just as bad or worse.  As for Sattler, I can't deal with 45" or 48" or whatever fabric.  Until they start weaving 60" I'll leave it be. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

I like Recacril  June you need tio try outdura http://www.sattler-ag.com/outdura/en/
ive used yards of it its great to work with ive got it in my t top testing over time myself
it is 60" I plan to make a mooring cover soon.

Peppy

We bought a whack of outdura at an auction a year or so ago. Pretty much gone now. It worked fine. Seemed to be real stretchy on the bias and the binding went wonky. Seemed to stretch quite a bit on install. Which was good really because it was easy to stretch out any wrinkles. Frayed more than Sunbrella even when heat cut. Overall though it was okay. Seemed like you could see more light through it than sb? I read its a thicker yarn which would account for that. No complaints from customers and really that's the only important measurement.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Darren Henry

QuoteI've seen many tops we've made that appear to have shrunk but its actually the reinforcement that's shrunk

I've seen the same thing. I use 1" poly web and centre fold binding.

I've only used outdura once and had a wierd problem. On the bow cover I cut one piece up the roll and one across the roll. they showed up as two completely different shades of blue when I sewed them together.I had to order in more fabric and redo the bow cover.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

March 02, 2013, 05:09:28 am #20 Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:26:37 pm by Mike
Ive had that mistake even with sunbrella darren. I think it the different shade from the sun on the different angled ciber ive. Got s pic on my laptop that shows it on a black cover.

Kinda like s ballfielg  when they mow in a crisscross pattern

regalman190

I did a bow cover in Burgundy and did half cut along the roll and half across. When I installed in the sun it looked like I used two different colors. It' s caused by the weave direction. Also found colors can vary between 46" and 60".
And I found that nylon webbing does shrink. So now I only use Poly webbing.
Regal Canvas

Darren Henry

8) So it isn't just me. Kewl !!I thought maybe I just had a gotten a bad piece because I cut Sunbrella that way all the time.

QuoteI found that nylon webbing does shrink. So now I only use Poly webbing.

Even poly can shrink. I don't know why it's "hit and miss" though. One will/most won't  ???

We once ran short of poly and used nylon on a few boats until we restocked. They all came back; they had shrunk that badly.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Peppy

Ya the old colour change due to orientation effect. Sucks. We've been accused of using the wrong colour on parts. Nope, just trying to squeak out a top with too little fabric. Some colours are way worse than others. Happens to us most on convertible tops with the roll back front. The sides cut a different direction to save fabric and you don't really notice till its outside in the sun. OOPS!

QuoteI don't know why it's "hit and miss" though. One will/most won't  ???

I think the customers aren't telling use the whole story. I was at the laundromat one day and saw a guy put a top in the washing machine. I tried to tell him it was a bad idea, but he knew everything so I walked away.

Its kind of like the guy who comes back with a new top and says the fabric is really cheap and it 'Just ripped'. Then you find out later from his neighbour on the dock he fell through it trying to get in all pissed up.
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Miami Mike

Hello all. Acrylics are nice but harder to keep clean to a point. I would use the weathermax 80. Light 8oz but stronger than acrylic. Price is 25% less as well. Well depends on what you pay for acrylics. Now we offer three acrylics Recacril, Outdura and Sattler. All will do the job for you. I might be late on this one but I spoke my 2 cents.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

Miami Mike

Okay reading the rest after the fact. Mike Outdura is Outdura, they make in in North Carolina. Sattler did buy them and they are updating the systems. They have hired people as well. Outdura is a little like the sun}#%^*a. But is is a true 9.25oz fabric.  :o

Thanks
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

forsailbyowner

We once ran short of poly and used nylon on a few boats until we restocked. They all came back; they had shrunk that badly.
[/quote]

by poly do you mean polypropylene or polyester?

Mike

I use polypropeleene.
I love the weathermax 80 verry eary to clean even greese off info say you can use bleach
Used it on one of my boat 
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/larson/F508C959-7E7A-4B34-A6C5-F1758B3C4AED-1985-0000026B572B54DE.jpg

Mike what is it made of. Not acrylid  a polyester. Nylon??

Darren Henry

Quoteby poly do you mean polypropylene

yes ---polypropylene.

Miami Mike

1. WHAT EXACTLY IS SATURAMAX™ YARN?

SaturaMax™ is Unifi's family of solution dyed yarns, produced in a wide array of saturated colors.
Perfect for a variety of end-uses, SaturaMax™ has superior color consistency, light fastness characteristics and is bleach cleanable. The color process used to create SaturaMax™ saves several gallons of water per pound of yarn produced, making it environmentally friendly.

2. WHAT IS AN OTTOMAN WEAVE AND HOW DOES IT IMPROVE THE FABRIC DURABILITY?

An Ottoman weave is a combination of Plain weave and Basket weave, allowing WeatherMax™ to offer the best combination of strength, durability, and stability. It gives WeatherMax™ its firm feel and a very subtle ribbed texture, refined to the eye and luxurious to the hand.

3. WHY DO YOU HAVE A WEATHERMAX 80™ AND A WEATHERMAX LT™?

The 80 or LT following WeatherMax™ are indications of its weight.  For example 80 is 8.0 oz/sqyd and LT is 6.5 oz/sqyd.
The reason for both weights is to provide our customers with the best product for their application.  Typically, WeatherMax 80™ is recommended for applications where strength and durability are the main concern (Marine, Awning), while WeatherMax LT™ is used where protection from the environment is the main concern (Covers, cushions, Umbrellas).