Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:45:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

how many hours

Started by daveich, October 09, 2011, 10:58:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihavenoname

October 11, 2011, 08:14:41 am #30 Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:17:23 am by OneBoneHead
after thinking over Six Sigma Lean production and the art of quality and craftsmanship, I can see why we live a world of junk.

When you apply Six Sigma to productions you don't create products of high quality you product products of high production quality. This is why we are seeing a steep decline in the quality of products as they are produced faster and faster and faster for cheaper and cheaper. Hence the $300 sofa from Ashly Furniture versus the $3000 restoration of a 1940 tufted sofa.

I was wrong in thinking that automation and systematization of a high quality process was the key to high quality products. In contrast, it is the key to low quality high production products.

As I thought about it, there can be very little difference between a Toyota and a Lexus simply because the system can not stand differences in materials and outcome. In other words if you have 5 colors of paint for Toyota as the basis, you can have 7 colors for Lexus and call them an upgrade,  but the upgrade is limited to only color not quality or effect of paint. IF you went with a high quality paint for Lexus, then you are effecting the system with a less predictable outcome which will take more skilled labor time. This is a no no in learn production.

It's color, body trim and marketing that makes Lexus better then Toyota not higher quality. If Toyota is running at 99.87% efficiency then to change the production and materials drastically from Toyota to Lexus then you have a decrease in the system. There is no way. In other words, You have the marketing department take care of branding and maintain the system.

So in upholstery, we see again a lower and lower form of quality with higher and higher production based on the speed and ease of production. Any increase in product quality means a lowering of production and ease of production requiring higher and higher skilled workers.  Again not Lean Six Sigam.

For the skilled upholstery shop, it is time of skilled cognitive labor that makes the product of higher quality.

Quality Value = skill + focused effort.
Lean Production Value = Ease of Manufacturing + Predictable Outcome

Yep I think to much.

fragged8

been there done that, when i was a corporate robot
it was all SPC Statistical Process Control.

I'm so glad i can drink tea while i work slowly .. :o

Rich

gene

Custom work can never compete with volume work. If it does, it is no longer custom work.

I have been hearing comments for awhile now about the lack of quality in fabric coming out of China. Today I was told about a large check pattern that was so loosely woven that the check would not stay square while hanging as window treatments. Ouch!

COM's are getting scarier and scarier.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!