Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 11:46:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Binder attachment - What would be my best option??

Started by Lmc530, August 25, 2011, 12:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lmc530

I'm trying to decide what the right binder attachment I need for marine carpet.. I have a Consew 206 RB-5.. It seems reasonable to me that we would need a 1" tape binder with an opening large enough for the thickness of a 24oz carpet...

What would be my best option??  Thanks all..

Mojo

I am not sure about the size. One of the marine experts on here will answer you. I am thinking you are right and would want 1 ". I do not use anything smaller because I hate the smaller sized binding. But that's me. :)
But when you do go to do your shopping for a binder and if it turns out you do need a 1" binder let me say that a few of us have bought this model and it rocks. It is very high quality, is Japanese made and has worked great for me. The price is also extremely good. I love the swing away option as well. That is very handy.

http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket

I have seen other models cheaper on E-Bay ( and they were cheap quality too ) and I have seen over the top expensive through dealers, but this one brand - Sussei - really rocks. I love mine and it gets the job done.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Chris, that unit I'm sure is good for straight work on say enclosures, bimini tops, and the like, but normally for carpet binding people need to be able to do turns and curves, so an angle binder would be called for.  One inch is ok for thin marine carpet, so one inch should be ok.  Keep in mind the binder head of the binder linked my not have a wide enough opening to work with the carpet as I think about it.

Mojo

I have bound indoor outdoor carpet before but have never tried thicker carpet.

I use it primarily on my solar screens and each one has four corners and it works great. I am not sure though about corners on carpet.

Do you carry anything like the Sussei and at that price point ? Would be good to know in case I ever need one.

Chris

Allan

Greg
Do you have a photo on your web site of the type of binder to use for in and outside curves and corners

Allan

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Allan on August 26, 2011, 12:49:27 am
Greg
Do you have a photo on your web site of the type of binder to use for in and outside curves and corners

Allan

Allan,

Thanks for asking, the ones in question are here;

460B Custom Angle
http://store.keysew.com/sewing-parts-and-accessories/460-custom-angle-binder

100 Straight Genuine Suisei, Japan
http://store.keysew.com/sewing-parts-and-accessories/100-binder-genuine-suisei-on-swing-gauge

scarab29

I have both of the binders I got from greg @ keystone. I like the custom angle binder for my outside edges and curves  better than the straight binder. I use the straight one with 3/4 . Bought that one first. After taking a course at MCTI , I found that 1" is a better choice and bought the custom angle for that size.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mojo

When did you start carrying the Sussei swing binder ? Great price too BTW.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 27, 2011, 05:54:02 am #8 Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:54:44 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Well, Sir, glad you asked!  

We have always sold 'em, but just started to advertise them.  They are currenlty on show special at a rediculously low price while we prepare to exhibit at this years annual IFAI Expo in Baltimore, MD (see us in booth2512).

Supplies are limited, and prices like this won't forever, so buy now before it's too late!

But wait, there's more...

Did I do well?   ;DFemDom MissTaylor

Mojo

Your price is better then Sailrite. Dang man did you need to get clubbed in the head or something ? I have mentioned the Sussei brand many times on here and you never said a word.

I can link people to your site now versus Sailrite. I would have done that prior to this if I had known.
( Dang kids anyways )............ ;D

BTW, that binder kicks azz. Very high quality and I love the swing away action. It is one of the very best binders I have seen on the market.

Chris

Mike8560

SIT'S odd I loke the straight type  it just to easy inside curve are harder and you have to straighten ou the fabric to get it in tight.  I bought  a swing away a gle type from
here
http://shop.marinecanvastraining.com/bindingfolderwswingarm.aspx
it just odd and makes
no sense to me having the  bi ding fold backwards first.  And create alot of  drag streaching  the binding.
Ii never use it I should sell it it's. 3/4" btw. Oh and yes I've bindddd marine carpet. Corithian with the heavy grey backing with my straight flolder 1"
is easier but I like the look of 3/4" but it tight. Go 1" and inside turnrs are hard if I get a spot like a table leg hole I just bind it  by hand   

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on August 27, 2011, 07:39:59 am
Your price is better then Sailrite. Dang man did you need to get clubbed in the head or something ? I have mentioned the Sussei brand many times on here and you never said a word.

I can link people to your site now versus Sailrite. I would have done that prior to this if I had known.
( Dang kids anyways )............ ;D

BTW, that binder kicks azz. Very high quality and I love the swing away action. It is one of the very best binders I have seen on the market.

Chris
I have lots more to post about other than just binders, but let me just plant the seed that we have a number of really, really good suppliers who we work with.  Some of them have more  parts inventory of genuine and generic parts than people can imagine.  It's just a matter of bringing them to the people, really.  

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 27, 2011, 08:57:19 am #12 Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:01:29 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Quote from: Mike8560 on August 27, 2011, 08:26:37 am
it just odd and makes
no sense to me having the  bi ding fold backwards first.  And create alot of  drag streaching  the binding.
Ii never use it I should sell it it's. 3/4" btw. Oh and yes I've bindddd marine carpet. Corithian with the heavy grey backing with my straight flolder 1"
is easier but I like the look of 3/4" but it tight. Go 1" and inside turnrs are hard if I get a spot like a table leg hole I just bind it  by hand  

Mike,

Before you toss that binder away;

Few things here, and NO disrespect in ANY way to MCT, But...with that binder you have there, the head is far away from the needle, and not as close as it can be with stock parts (parts are feet, feeder, needle plate).  Reason they go out like this is so they can fit onto a variety of machines.  This makes it difficult to make turns and curve the way it was intended.  Check out the image of nearly the same binder on our webpage where it shows a detail image of the binder head.  This is as far off as I would let one go out away from the needle.  Yours is probally about half an inch back from where ours is in the image below.  I know this because I've made these adjustments on that binder, and can do yours, too.

In the ideal world, that same binder you have would be setup on a dedicated machine for binder setup with custom feet (inside toe cut off, stubby front foot) Feeder (teeth cut back) and needle plate (built up with recess).

I feel like I posted this info. here before a while back, but don't know if I supported it with as much detail or strong images you can view here; http://store.keysew.com/sewing-parts-and-accessories/460-custom-angle-binder

Mike8560

Thanks Greg.   I don't recall vow close tot he needle it was but incouldnt fet over the drag it create folding thebbinding backwards then the right way
mstreaching it as the feet pulled the canvAs  and binding Is this normal? The straight type mine isn't a swing away but is mounted on dedicated top plates is verry smooth ofering non resistance  to the binding much

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

August 27, 2011, 11:54:07 am #14 Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:55:06 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
Mike, by the nature of this binder, it is going to have more Friction than a straight binder, but not so much that you can't use it. It should still be smooth.  In your case, if I were the seller who is supporting the binder, I would have you send it to me with binding material for adjustment.  This is where the Custom part shows up.