Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 07:51:01 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Which one would you choose - Brand New Upholstery Machine?

Started by slodat, June 23, 2011, 01:13:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

slodat

I will soon be in the market for a new upholstery sewing machine. I have a Consew 255-RB3 that I've been using for a long while. I will be returning it to my mentor and father in the next months. I want to make a one time machine purchase. I'm considering either a new Pfaff 1245 or a Juki LU-1508NH. I'm leaning toward the Juki because of the rectangular feed, 10mm stitch length and 16mm foot lift.

I will be using the machine for auto upholstery.

I welcome any input, opinions, advice, etc.

Thanks!

scottymc

I wish I had of gotten the pfaff 1245 when I was buy a new machine, I dont know anything about the Juki but the pfaff is quite suitable for auto work. I would want the pfaff as it has the best binding attachment which would be handy if you were doing carpets 

slodat

I'm not familiar with the binding attachment. I bind carpet "by hand".

sofadoc

I have a 1508. My competitor in town has a 1245. He likes mine better. I haven't had a chance to try his out.  I only do furniture. He does a little of everything.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Juki.  Hands down.  Bought a Juki 1541N7 last spring and LOVE it.  Work on a 1508 at work, and it's a fine machine (I prefer a horizontal axis bobbin, personally).

I've worked on both over the years and the Pfaff is a very nice machine, but the parts are expensive. 

fragged8

my machine came from an auto upholstery factory
and it's absolutely superb. 
i have an auto high step and also a selectable
high step.
auto back tack
auto fwd tack
back tack on button
speeds from 1 spm to 3000 spm
air foot lift
auto needle down at stop
or needle up at stop
needle lift on the pedal
high lift on the knee switch
underbed trimmers

i don't use all the features but they do come in handy
sometimes.
needle down at stop, air foot lift and efka needle positioning
is a must after having this machine.

Juki LU2210N 6

rich

scottymc

Quote from: slodat on June 23, 2011, 01:42:24 am
I'm not familiar with the binding attachment. I bind carpet "by hand".

If your not doing a fair bit of carpets then binding by hand is your best option as the binder attachment for my 335 cost $800, but you do get what you pay for, it is far superior to any other binding attachments.

BigJohn

I have a Pfaff 1245 and it's a great machine, but keep in mind the cost of parts and accessories is much higher for the pfaff than say a consew or one of the other machines based on the old 111W155 Singer! The welt feet come to mind as one of the first things you'll find cost hundreds more than the Singer type.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fragged8 on June 23, 2011, 01:23:00 pm
Juki LU2210N 6

Talk about expesive machines...

Fact is, all machines mentioned here are VERY good machines.  Some manufactered in different countries, some have different features, but all are great for canvas, upholstery. and the like. 

Also, as for presser feet for the Pfaff 1245 (same as 145 & 545) they are not hundreds for good quailty generic feet, UNLESS you want genuine Pfaff, then, um, yeah, I guess they are into the hundreds. 

slodat

I am VERY interested in the carpet binding attachments. I have never used one. This sounds like a good addition to the shop when I buy the new machine. Anyone care to chime in with specifics, photos, prices, etc on binding attachments for the 1508 or 1245?

I'm very happy I started this thread!

Mike8560

Sounds awsome rich my11w155 and juki lu153 are basic I'd like that needle down and air lift thing.

Jim101

Pfaff.  Definitely.  We have four Pfaff machines... 1245, 545, 138 & 130.

I know they're expensive to fix but we've never had to fix one.  Knock on wood!

As far as parts go I usually buy the generic and have no problems.

Singer's are great too.  I have an old 111W153 that I swear works better the older it gets.

Good luck.  There's lots of good machines to choose from out there.

Jim

fragged8

Gregg will be able to tell you mike if you can make your machine
do the needle positioning and air foot lift by adding an EFKA needle
positioner.

my long arm I had was old but had the EFKA positioner I think you
can retro fit them to almost any machine, i wouldn't be without one now
it makes life so easy on the machine.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fragged8 on June 25, 2011, 09:59:04 am
Gregg will be able to tell you mike if you can make your machine
do the needle positioning and air foot lift by adding an EFKA needle
positioner.

my long arm I had was old but had the EFKA positioner I think you
can retro fit them to almost any machine, i wouldn't be without one now
it makes life so easy on the machine.

Short answer.  Yes. But not always the best option.

ALJ

Hey Rich,
   I've been looking at a few machines to replace an old singer 251 in my business (yea, totally wrong machine for upholstery). We are going to begin doing more boat cockpit upholstery and some canvas work. I have a feeling that the automated machine may make life a little easier as we pick up more than just the occasional minor repair. I've looked at the Juki LU-1508 but Have only found new machines available. I have found a number of Juki LU-2210N-6/7 machines available refurbished for about $500 more (25%) than a new 1508 is going for. Not sure that a rebuilt automated machine is going to be a pile of trouble or not. The 2210 machines use a different needle system and I'm not sure of the bobbins and presser feet costs either. All these parts are different aren't they? Is this a good direction to go in? Are the Juki or Efka servo motor systems reliable? Just trying to weigh my options here.