Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:14:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Staplers and Staples (newbie questions)

Started by jameslee, April 28, 2015, 09:01:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jameslee

April 28, 2015, 09:01:51 pm Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:02:35 pm by jameslee
Hello,

My father will be doing upholstery work from home and he wants to get a good stapler. I need to help him find the best one that suit his needs.

From what I've learned, there are three standard staple crown sizes 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2; within these staple crown sizes there are different gauges, 20/21/22.

I saw a video on this site that stated that the standard for upholstery work in North America is 3/8 22 gauge (#7 guns, 71 series staples or C series). The video recommends restaurant booth work be done with a 1/2 21 gauge gun (#8 gun).

Please help answer some of my many questions!

1. Can a single gun only use one gauge of staple?
2. Is haubold the best stapler brand?
3. Are auto-fire staplers worth considering (http://www.grexusa.com/grexusa/prod_type.php5?prod_type=Upholstery%20Staplers or https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itw-haubold.de%2Findex.php%3Fid%3Dpn1414g&sandbox=1)?
4. What are the best #7 guns that you can recommend? (my father wants something as light as possible with high build quality. Quality and lightness is more important than price.)
5. The best #8 guns?
6. What should I watch out for?

Thank you for your help!

sofadoc

Most small upholstery shops DO use a #7 stapler. A #8 gun is often recommended for vinyl work because the staple is thicker, and less likely to cut through the vinyl. But that doesn't deter most of us from using a #7 anyway.

1. Yes, a single gun can only shoot the one gauge that it's made for.
2. Haubold is a very expensive brand, so I assume that it is very good. I've never owned one. There are several quality brands for a lot less money.
3. Auto-fire staplers are mainly for high-speed factories. Again, never owned one.
4. There are several good brands in the $125-$150 range. BEA, Fasco, Rainco, Senco to name a few. Parts and o-ring kits are readily available for these brands.
5. Same for #8 guns.
6. Watch out for those $50-$75 guns on E-bay. They're OK, as long as you don't use them much. And when they quit, you might as well throw them away. Parts and o-ring kits will be hard to find. And even if you do, they will cost almost as much as just replacing the gun. Many people report having great service from inexpensive guns that were purchased from places like Harbor Freight. I'm not one of them.

Welcome to you and your dad.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

jameslee

Thank you for your detailed answers.

I found out that haubold is no longer made in Germany.

My father wants the next best tier of stapler. Would that be BeA?

SteveA

Is Dad in the trade ? Or is this a surprise gift ? 
In this trade you need several guns - one gun won't always fit the bill.  However if you are intent on getting one gun I'd get a pneumatic with an extended nose - that shoots 1/4 to 1/2 length staples. One gun I have is a Fasco, and been very happy with it.  Only complaint was the safety trigger..... which I removed and now it's fine. 
SA

Darren Henry

Welcome aboard James. In your link under point 3, I spotted something I should mention. There is another "caliber" of 3/8 stapler. It is 1400 series (like the gun in the link). I'm guessing it is metric as the staples look as close as to the 7100 series as a 10mm spanner looks to a 3/8 wrench---but they aren't interchangeable.

I ran my shop on the 1400 partially  because I had two old used 1400 series Empires when I set up shop but stayed with it when I bought my Miniko because I can get staples one size smaller than 1/4" and I believe 1 size longer (haven't ordered staples for 5 years as we run 71 series). It's bailed me out a few times here.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

jameslee

April 30, 2015, 11:58:47 pm #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:01:25 am by jameslee
Thank you all for your help.

My father is in the trade. He uses the gun they provide at work.

Mr Henry: I hope that getting the 1400 fasco gun will save me from any conflicts.

My father didn't like the fact that Haubold may no longer be German made. He decided on http://www.amplesupply.com/catalog/tools_5/f1b-14-16-fasco-pneumatic-stapler-f1b-14-16_545.

It says on the site that the fasco takes 1400 staples. I believe that they are the same as #7 C staples as described on the upholster.com store.

Can anyone tell me a good place to order staples from?

Darren Henry

Quotethe fasco takes 1400 staples. I believe that they are the same as #7 C staples as described on the upholster.com store.

They are not the same and you cannot use 1400 staples in a #7 gun or vice versa. I would suggest you check your local suppliers for availability of staples before you order a 1400 series stapler.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Staples are an item that I always buy by the case. Shipping can be expensive, so I try to buy from a local supplier that delivers.

All upholstery suppliers carry #7. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation if you buy a gun that shoots #7's (71 series 3/8 crown 22 gauge).

Like Darren says, if you go with #14, your sources will be limited.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

DDandJ

I bought a Rainco that SofaDoc mentioned in an earlier reply.  I think it was about $150.  I bought it from a local supplier.  I've been very happy with it. 

Jeremy

Darren Henry

May 01, 2015, 03:11:55 pm #9 Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:18:33 pm by Darren Henry
I dug my old miniko out this morning and took pics of the data plate. It lists the width as 10.1 mm. The box of 71 ssatples we just got in list the width as 10mm or 3/8. I'll try to get the pics up here this weekend.

Darren Henry

QuoteI bought a Rainco that SofaDoc mentioned in an earlier reply.  I think it was about $150.  I bought it from a local supplier.  I've been very happy with it.

We replaced a couple of less than stellar ones with a second Rainco/Fasco back when I was apprenticing. They got worked so hard that I repaired the old Empires because I was tired of waiting my turn for a stapler, and I don't remember every having a hiccup with them. I was only around the new one for 3 1/2 years but the original was just the same as when I started when I left 5 years later. BTW---yes we got rid of that annoying trigger safety!!!

chrisberry12

If you want light weight, the duo-fast is a great gun but you have to buy duo-fast staples. A lot of upholsterers like the BEA but I think it's to heavy and clunky. I prefer the Raincoat and have the long and short nose guns. I also have a BEA for hired help when needed. All my guns are #7 or 71 series staple. I bet you can call one of your Dads suppliers and order from them and still keep it quiet, just put on your card, explain it to them. My supplier sells the Raincoat short nose for 170, long nose for 245 and the BEA short nose for 211 and the long nose for 334. These are the best guns out there. If you want old school guns, guns your dad probably grew up using check out Bostitch and Senco both excellent guns. I have a pair of old Sencos and a case of staples I keep for back up. If you want electric Duo-Fast hands down. Are you learning the trade? You might be able to get better pricing on Amazon. I use several different guns/staples depending on the job. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Chris